Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,820,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That was not a mainstream Christian church. They were friendly to Islam. They had some Muslim speakers, sold some Muslim books, etc.
Trinity UCC is member of the United Church of Christ. Among the UCC's predecessors in this country are the Puritans and Pilgrims; you just don't get more mainstream than that in this country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,343,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Half of Americans Do Not Know the President’s Religion - ABC News

You can thank reality tv & consumerism for this.
As an athiest I could not care less what his religion is; however I already knew it was a Christian religion.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,247,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes he was, and why do you think Obama was sent to Islamic schools? His step father was also a Muslim.
his step father was a muslim. A step father isn't the biological father, so you're contradicting yourself.

Seeing as you failed to read my post, he was sent to one Muslim based school for one year.

Though Muslim was taught, his teacher said that he was not very intersted and never took the class SERIOUSLY. He was a goof off during those classes.

Then you conveniently forgot, that fo 3 years, he attend St. Francis Assisi school in Indonesia. It was a Catholic, so unless St. Francis was a Muslim, you again contradict yourself.

Quote:
Obama Sr could not have owned four wives if he had been a Christian.
So what? Doesn't mean he was a Muslim. Mormons allow for polyamory/polyandry.

Quote:
And there is also no evidence that he ever renounced Islam and if he had that would have meant death.
One doesn't announce that he is renouncing his religion. I was born a Baptist; I didn't make any public announcemtn that I was renouncing my religion to become Agnostic.

And why would he need to renounce something that he never observed?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,729,479 times
Why should we know or care? The president's religion should have no impact on the way he does the job.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
WRONG. In fact the Catholic Church even excommunicates certain people -- heretics for example -- it does allow for apostasy, unlike Islam. Not only can you leave the Church, you can be kicked out of it. There is no excommunication in Islam because it doesn't allow for anyone to change religions.
OK, I'm not a Catholic, but I grew up in a Catholic/Protestant family in a heavily Catholic community, so I have a fair knowledge of Catholicism. It is my understanding you can be kicked out (my grandfather was), but you can't voluntarily leave to become another religion. If you do join another church, you might get excommunicated, but that's a different issue. Now obviously, lots of people leave Catholocism for another religion and don't get ex-communicated. I don't think they do so much excommunication these days.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's interesting that ABC News doesn't seem to know what religion he is, either, since they don't mention it. A lot of different religions are Christian. What kind of a Christian is he? Baptist? Lutheran? Catholic? Epicopalian? Methodist? Etc.
Whatever religion he may profess, I don't think he's committed to it, or embraces completely. Kinda like approving aid for Israel, he does it just to keep his shiny a$$ in office.

I do suspect he'd much rather be practicing the Muslim part of his faith but has to keep that at arms length... see 'aid to Israel', above.

So I'd take his practicing religious philosophy to be something more like that of a mendicant.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,767,207 times
Under the wing of Rev. Wright - Obama belonged to the - Christian Muslim Atheistic Holy Church Of Black Hate...He is not a religious man or a spiritual creature. His religion is corporatism - collective power...rule by insect like committee- kind of like Islam without rules- and a mix of Christianity without love....topped off with a good dose of atheistic arrogance- The guy is all over the map- If it became a rule that only a Jew could run for president- You would see him doing a photo op at the Wailing wall-----------If only a gay could run for president- Pictures of him would suddenly surface dressed in drag and an admission that he had "been living a lie" as far as his wife was concerned...

He is what ever he thinks he needs to be

Old 07-28-2012, 01:37 PM

288 posts, read 282,282 times
Quote:
WRONG. In fact the Catholic Church even excommunicates certain people -- heretics for example -- it does allow for apostasy, unlike Islam. Not only can you leave the Church, you can be kicked out of it. There is no excommunication in Islam because it doesn't allow for anyone to change religions.
Plenty of people have been kicked out of the Mosque. There has also been people who have switched religions from Muslim to whatever religion and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
NO, you can thank Obama and all of his lies for this !!
Now there's a rational response!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,253,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obama started out a Muslim, and later joined a Chicago Church that is down for the struggle.

I don't know his religion.
Churches tend to be Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies