Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government control the sale of machine guns
No, guns should be available to the average citizen 66 51.56%
Yes, machine guns should not be accessible to citizens 62 48.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
2nd amendment either for it or against it. There is no gray area.
That doesnt make sense, but as long as you are happy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 AM

46,303 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I live to see the day every kindgergarten teacher carries a fully automatic rifle in class.
And you wonder why you are not able to have a "gun" conversation with the left....

The quote above is a classic example, cause EVERYONE knows, that is what the pro gun people want..

Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 AM

46,303 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why drive all the way to the border when you can get whatever you want at the local gun show.

Why is this thread being resurrected from a year ago, slow day??
Only if you fill out the proper paper work, but you on the left will ever admit that...no matter how many times you're told that...

Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
My position is simple. A free person should be able to own and carry any firearm they want anywhere they have a right to be. They should also be completely responsible for any damage done by the bullets THEY fire. If a person shoots another the shooter should have a very good reason such as defending themselves and/or others from violent criminal assault.

All guns are dangerous because they are meant to shoot something. A 1740's flintlock shotgun is just as dangerous as an AK-47 is some situations. I would start revising the nation's gun control laws by repealing the 1934 Firearms Act and eliminating the "firearms" part of the ATF. All the rest of the restrictive laws would be removed as well. The only regulation I would allow is people convicted of a violent crime or adjudicated dangerously insane would be forbidden to buy, store or carry weapons of any kind.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That doesnt make sense, but as long as you are happy...
no he is right, are you for or against civil rights?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really?

200 years ago when it was citizen's muskets vs the federal muskets you had a point.

The 'good stuff' today encompasses Predator drones, Lacrosse or Keyhole class satellites, F-22 raptors...

So while plenty of folks (especially in Texas) own small arsenals- it's the sanity of the owner that's usually in question and not the gun they're holding.

200+ years ago the brown bess musket was considered the assault rifle of the day. these days the M4 is considered the US assault rifle, so should it also remain in the hands of the people, without any regulation at all from the government.

I still have yet to have anyone tell me where it says in the 2nd Amendment that the government can make any laws against the peoples right to keep and bear arms.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
200+ years ago the brown bess musket was considered the assault rifle of the day. these days the M4 is considered the US assault rifle, so should it also remain in the hands of the people, without any regulation at all from the government.

I still have yet to have anyone tell me where it says in the 2nd Amendment that the government can make any laws against the peoples right to keep and bear arms.
The Supreme Court has stated with the Heller decision that firearm ownership is an individual right. They have also stated that, that right is subject to reasonable restrictions just the same as the First Amendment is.
Go ahead and "keep and bear arms" but I tell you that the Supreme Court, being the final arbiter of what "IS" the constitution say's that reasonable restrictions are constitutional. You don't like it? Take it up with the founding fathers.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Go ahead and "keep and bear arms" but I tell you that the Supreme Court, being the final arbiter of what "IS" the constitution say's that reasonable restrictions are constitutional. You don't like it? Take it up with the founding fathers.
Take it up with the Supreme Court. The founding fathers made their intent quite clear with "shall not be infringed".

Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The Supreme Court has stated with the Heller decision that firearm ownership is an individual right. They have also stated that, that right is subject to reasonable restrictions just the same as the First Amendment is.
Please show me in the constitution where is says the government has the authority to restrict firearms in any manner. Men in black are human.. They make mistakes too..

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Please show me in the constitution where is says the government has the authority to restrict firearms in any manner. Men in black are human.. They make mistakes too..
and this why we should limit their power..greatly limit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies