Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times

Advertisements

I don't know that it's rude. I suppose I have done it at some point. It more reminds me why I hate small talk so much. Rarely am I much interested in what someone does for a living. I'm guessing that's true of most who has ask this question. They're just searching for something to talk about.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
actually, it is rude. Majority of Americans are self centered rude and inconsiderate. That's why most of the people on this thread in favor of asking where you work. They are unrefined, uneducated, and ill mannered.
I agree. And, they're not as original as they think they are. As in, they might be trying to copy cat you and steal your thunder. If I let someone who doesn't ask hang around me for months then yes they can ask because I obviously like them and trust them on some level

Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
It bugs me, too, when someone asks what I do for a living, but I'd give them a pass if I can give them a vague answer, and they don't ask for more details.

Frankly, the only time I might wonder what someone's occupation is would be if I'm a bit envious about something they own, but rarely is that the case, and I wish them well, because I'm largely happy with my own life!
Best post of 2013.

this will be hard to top.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer
It bugs me, too, when someone asks what I do for a living, but I'd give them a pass if I can give them a vague answer, and they don't ask for more details.

Frankly, the only time I might wonder what someone's occupation is would be if I'm a bit envious about something they own, but rarely is that the case, and I wish them well, because I'm largely happy with my own life!

As for the op question. We spend the majority of our day doing what we do for a living. You are either proud of what you do to make your living or you are not. If you are offended then there is an obvious reason.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-14-2014 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To be offended by the questions what ever it is that you do, if you do anything, it must not be something to be proud of.
All you proponents of asking sound like a broken record. Please come up with original responses because the recycled responses are starting to sound like flamebait . To your quote I respond: Mmm, could be. Or the person could be VERY proud of what they do but don't want everyone and their grandmother finding out the secret sauce. It's not your place to judge

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Rude, and annoying.

Too many people get classified by their occupation, and judged.

There can be many reasons for what we may do as employment, many, we may be ashamed of, often, quite without reason.

One can be really made to feel uncomfortable by such questions, so they shouldn't be asked.

You wouldn't ask someone how much money they have in their accounts, would you? Same thing.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
All you proponents of asking sound like a broken record. Please come up with original responses. To your quote I respond: Mmm, could be. Or the person could be VERY proud of what they do but don't want everyone and their grandmother finding out the secret sauce. It's not your place to judge
Broken record? lol, so how many ways can you answer the question. Lets see. Agree with you or you will attack right?

The secret sauce LOL, that's funny. Oh and in case you don't realize it. Every day you are judged even by a casual onlooker, even when someone is not asking that "oh so offensive question".

Secret Sauce LOLOLOL (must be illegal sauce)

Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Too many people get classified by their occupation, and judged.

There can be many reasons for what we may do as employment, many, we may be ashamed of, often, quite without reason.

One can be really made to feel uncomfortable by such questions, so they shouldn't be asked.

You wouldn't ask someone how much money they have in their accounts, would you? Same thing.
Actually if you are working then you are not living off my money. That is something to be proud of. If you fell on bad times and are forced to be living on welfare and don't want to be on welfare believe me we can tell just by your actions and attitudes that you don't want to be a welfare lifer.

Welfare lifers attitudes scream even before they open their mouths.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM

In a business to business transaction, there is, indeed, a greater obligation to answer. But in social settings or miscellaneous scenarios, nuh-uh. You have every right to tell the asker that you have no obligation to answer

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Secret Sauce LOLOLOL (must be illegal sauce)
Not taking your bait. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies