Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times

Advertisements

I think it's a good question after you are involved in a conversation with someone and have already connected. It's just part of the flow. But to break out the question cold first thing feels like a slap to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sarcasm isn't a type of a humor? That's an example of mean-spirited sarcasm but sarcasm can still be humor.
Well, sarcasm is disguised anger, according to a counselor I once had the ahem opportunity to talk to. And "Is that a mole on your chin" is pointing out a facial flaw, very nice on first meeting, not; "or did you have chocolate chips ahoy for breakfast" is pointing out food left on one's face, also rude at first meeting, both far ruder than asking someone what they do for a freaking living! "JUST KIDDING! LOL." is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You missed where I said "I notice you're driving...." as in it was visible when the person arrived.

So what? You're commenting on a personal possession. What's "different" about that?

You do realize common sense plays a part in these little social intercourses and it perhaps would serve mightily to guess whether the person would be embarrassed or proud of the car they're driving might be your first thought rather than assuming I mean't the person was driving some luxury model of conveyance.

The "barista" and the "chin mole" were an attempt at wry humour which I believe you got but chose instead to backhand it. Fine with me.
A person may be proud of their occupation, too. Lots of people like to talk about their jobs.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I was never ashamed of my employment.

It's just a cultural thing, in some countries (like France) asking what a person does for a living is impolite.

Once, in England as a matter of fact, someone asked me what my sexual orientation is ... and I thought that was cheeky coming from a stranger. So my answer was; "Is that a question or a proposition?" and left it at that.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 3,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well of course. And there's more to life and who you are besides what book you last read, what movie you last watched, what your hobbies are, etc. What do YOU ask people you've just met, to get to know them?!
I don't try to get to know them, I just enjoy the party and their company if that's possible. Talking to people in order to get to know them is odd to me. Can't we just enjoy ourselves and spare the interview questions?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
I agree with you, it is kind of rude. I don't answer such questions or questions pertaining to how much I earn or how much I pay in rent. It's none of anyone's business.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
I've noticed that in Europe people do not ask what you do when they meet you, but I always thought it was a cultural thing, like they really want to know who you are as a person.

In the US, people are more superficial and materialistic, so they want to know what you do--it is actually an expression of interest and most of the time meant politely. No big deal really. If you aren't a hitman, drug dealer or mime, why would it matter?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
u r right. americans are rude.
foreigners cant stand u.
and there is a mad rush here to hook up with foreigners.
if there is one thing a slob cant stand its another.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I've noticed that in Europe people do not ask what you do when they meet you, but I always thought it was a cultural thing, like they really want to know who you are as a person.

In the US, people are more superficial and materialistic, so they want to know what you do--it is actually an expression of interest and most of the time meant politely. No big deal really. If you aren't a hitman, drug dealer or mime, why would it matter?
I was born in the UK and it isn't asked as much there. People are much more private and such questions too early on might even be considered as rude.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
I think that in more cosmopolitan cities like LA and NYC asking someone you just met what they do for a living is a cultural faux pas. I've noticed this in LA where a lot of people have entertainment industry or artistic ambitions. They may work as a cashier during the day but it doesn't define who they are.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, sarcasm is disguised anger, according to a counselor I once had the ahem opportunity to talk to. And "Is that a mole on your chin" is pointing out a facial flaw, very nice on first meeting, not; "or did you have chocolate chips ahoy for breakfast" is pointing out food left on one's face, also rude at first meeting, both far ruder than asking someone what they do for a freaking living! "JUST KIDDING! LOL." is a lie.

A person may be proud of their occupation, too. Lots of people like to talk about their jobs.
You'd be wrong again and I believe MOST of the folks on here realized I was pitching a ringer at you AND I believe you also do as well, but are choosing to take a "but he said" approach in a vain attempt to chastise. I choose to believe you cannot possibly be that obtuse.

A person proud of their occupation will share that with you in due time.

The gate does swing both ways you know; should the person you meet instantly let you know they are a lettered scholar, might that be taken as an indication they're a tad self absorbed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies