Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's impossible in almost all of New England, everyone has a town/city, though some are obviously obscure.

google maps can't find Knik, AK. Wherever you live has internet access but isn't on a map. A really dorky way would be to your location in degrees and minutes.
I am not surprised. Knik, AK, consists of a Post Office, a Beauty Salon/Barber Shop, and a Day Care Center, nothing more. Google Maps cannot find Settler's Bay, AK, either. It only works for incorporated towns and cities I am guessing.

It can get a bit confusing. My mailing address is "Wasilla, AK", but I get my mail at the Post Office in "Knik, AK", and according to the legal description of my property I live in the township of "Houston, AK."

Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 AM

544 posts, read 610,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Seriously, how can you get offended by someone asking where you work or what you do? It's called......having a conversation. Finding out about someone's job is one aspect of getting to know them. Honestly, thin skin.
Well, if you considered the statistics, 90% of people hate their jobs. 8% of people like their jobs, and 1% of people love their jobs.

So why in the heck would a person want to talk to you about their job?

I hate being asked that question too, because it just isn't a good topic for almost anyone.

It's like were all robots.

What is your purpose Robot?

I make widets! Beep...beep.

What is your purpose Robot #2?

I get yelled at for problems that I didn't start by customers. Beep...beep.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Well, if you considered the statistics, 90% of people hate their jobs. 8% of people like their jobs, and 1% of people love their jobs.

I hate being asked that question too, because it just isn't a good topic for almost anyone.

Still not seeing why it's offensive...guess I just have thicker skin than some.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:

Haha. Well I hate my job too, just like everyone else. When someone asks what I do, it takes about 10 seconds to describe it to them & then that's it, that's the end of the story. It's not like either myself or the person I'm talking to goes into great depth about what they do for a living. There are more important things to connect on, that's just one detail.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Still not seeing why it's offensive...guess I just have thicker skin than some.
It comes down to how one is raised. The way I was raised it was considered uncouth, crass, and of course extremely impolite to ask intrusive questions of strangers. Like walking up to a stranger on the street and asking them if they wear boxers or briefs, or asking them if they have any sexually transmittable diseases.

I suppose with the advent of the Internet people think they have the right to know anything they want, but that is not the case. People need to get over their sense of entitlement over other people's information, because it is not theirs to know. This is why the NSA can violate our Fourth Amendment rights at will and nobody seems to care.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Have you ever been out at a gathering with people you meet for the first time and everyone is getting along well and then someone asks "hey what do you do for a living??"

I find that to be rude. I read that in France you could go to a dinner party every other night with several couples for a year and NO ONE would dare ask what you do for a living. They would ask questions like what book did you read last, Or have you visited the Louve museum or some sort of museum or discuss the arts.

But why do we Americans have the tendency to do this?? I hired someone to do some work for me and that was one of the questions he asked me--I was immediately turned off. My reply was do you base your fee upon occupation??? He was silent. Very evident he didnt like that response. Its as if alot of Americans feel entitled to know what you do for a living as a way to size you up.

So then he says wow I never met someone so secretive about their occupation--Are you a top government official on an assignment. At that point I terminated his contract and taught him a very good lesson in professionalism. You are here to do a job, not attempt to pass judgement or size up your client.

What are your thoughts?? Anyone else find this question rude and annoying??
Why is it rude? Many people have interesting work that they are proud of..... I loved what I did for a living and many people asked about it....I had no problem with that question.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:

If your statistics are correct, then I feel bad for the people in the US....

The Monster.ca survey released Monday shows nearly two-thirds (64 per cent) of Canadian workers either love or like their jobs a lot.

And almost one quarter, or 24 per cent, love their jobs so much they would do them for free, says the survey done by the popular job-seeking website along with independent global research company GfK.

Canadians more satisfied with their jobs than workers in any other country

Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why is it rude? Many people have interesting work that they are proud of..... I loved what I did for a living and many people asked about it....I had no problem with that question.
It is considered rude because it is an intrusive and personal question. There use to be a time when a certain level of decorum was called for when two people meet for the first time, but that time is long gone.

We have replaced propriety and civility with indecency and just plain bad manners.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is considered rude because it is an intrusive and personal question. There use to be a time when a certain level of decorum was called for when two people meet for the first time, but that time is long gone.

We have replaced propriety and civility with indecency and just plain bad manners.
Well I don't consider it rude, after all what a person for for a living is a big part of their lives and if you want to get to know someone why is it not a pertinent question? They can always choose not to answer.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well I don't consider it rude, after all what a person for for a living is a big part of their lives and if you want to get to know someone why is it not a pertinent question? They can always choose not to answer.
It is an impertinent and crass question. Your mother should have taught you better manners.

Do you also ask perfect strangers about the contents of their bowel movements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies