Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I can't rep you again so soon but... look at it this way. If the schools are now going to be obliged to treat children as feed stock for a grievously flawed economic machine where only those who are headed off to finance careers will be rewarded, where does that leave the natural born mechanic? What about the natural gifts of a master carpenter lost to an industry of pre fabricated homes? I don't want to encourage anyone into going headlong into Luddite mode, but... America needs it's manufacturing. We need self sufficiency. We need all the diversity of skill sets, various approaches to problem solving... everybody has to eat. When our economy is contrived as it is servicing finance as the monster of rewards and starve out all others, there will not be another Steve Jobs, Albert Einstien or Nikola Tesla. It would have put them in the only job anyone is allowed to have. A call center for credit cards. Matter of fact, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both engaged in the very thing needful of confrontation when individual inventors were not given full rewards for their work. The natural incentive for science and math academic excellence is a long line of inventors paid well. Not fly by night charity that may or may not be bestowed on a whim of their charitable foundations.
Charter schools are one thing...
Gates' latest mission: fixing America's schools - Business - US business - Bloomberg Businessweek - NBCNews.com
But when it comes to universal policies and they're the equivalent of the whaling industry cultivating would be whaling employees in a soon to be automotive age equivalent, it becomes spendthrift effort.
Exactly.

Education has become more about "standardizing" kids -- making them the same. Square pegs need to be pounded into round holes --- or be drugged to fit.

Kindergarten is for 5 year olds, it doesn't matter if some can already read and do some math equations and that others have never seen a book or held a crayon. They'll be grouped together and they'll for the most part remain together - no matter that by 4th grade some would be capable of learning calculus and some have still not grasped addition and subtraction.

And they'll be taught group-think. Especially the little boys but all kids whose learning style is best suited to hands on learning and interactive learning and are better at multi-tasking will have to either comply on their own to sit quietly for hours on end or be drugged. Now class...... it's time to take out your math books.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The choice to give them medication or not is the parents. However, the schools do need to know if someone takes psychotropic drugs and, depending on the medication, they need to know if the child misses their medication. It impacts how behavior problems with a particular child are handled. What they can do is place the child in an alternative setting, such as a Emotional/behavioral Disability (EBD) classroom, if your child can not be controlled in a regular classroom. That possibility is what "makes" some reluctant parents medicate their child.

By the way, you can be charged with medical neglect if you fail to properly take care of your child's medical needs without a good reason; this includes failing to medicate a psychotic one. I assume that is what happened in this situation. If it ends up getting your child suspended or in danger of getting expelled you can also be charged with educational neglect in some states.

What parents can sometimes forget is that their child is not the only one in the classroom or the school. Behavior that is tolerable in a one-on-one or family situation can create havoc in a classroom. Other children also have the right to be educated in a safe environment.
In this woman's case, she had complied and had her daughter on drugs. She saw a behavioral change that she knew wasn't good, and knew it was due to the drugs.

When you listen to that mother on the video, you can see that was not a dolt. She saw first hand what the drugs were doing to her daughter and was bullied after she tried to do the right thing for her daughter -- and she was put through hell but at least in the end, a judge ruled in her favor.

I wonder if the woman's and her daughter's race may have been a factor, some people might be expected to comply with authorities more than other's?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Education has become more about "standardizing" kids -- making them the same. Square pegs need to be pounded into round holes --- or be drugged to fit.
My school district went to pains not to separate disabled kids from main line classrooms. One classmate was blind. His tests were braille, and they were identical standard performance measurement. Another classmate had dyslexia. Her test was identical in standard, but they gave her more time to take the test. The school can't teach a standard of underwater basket weaving. There is a baseline of competence that any given student needs to acquire to meaningfully participate in civilization without rendering themselves willfully handicapped. It's wonderful when there's gravy & individuals can cultivate their specific gifts, but without that baseline firmly secured, those specific gifts can never live up to their true potential. Gotta pay your dues, kid. No way around it without it biting you in the butt down the road.

Someday, volunteer to teach a functionally illiterate adult how to read, and you'll know how needlessly difficult their lives are. They can't get a drivers license, can't fill out job applications, and have to lie about broken eye glasses to find out when the bus is coming. They wind up walking around in life cowed by the ignorance their pride is hiding under a rug. While schools might not be offering vocational training, a child gifted with mechanical ability is not going to be eligible for ACE certification or a degree in electrical engineering if they can't read technical manuals. Backyard mechanic is their zenith until they do learn, and remedial classes are so much more time consuming & costly than absorbing the lessons when their minds are open to it in youth. Familial problems shouldn't rob a child the education that empowers them to thrive. Tinker, tailor, soldier... whatever is their true destiny.

We agree that drugging away problems, whatever their source, is generally a bad idea. It's best if you illustrate first hand what you mean about square pegs and schools demanding they conform to round holes. Fitting in group settings is part of learning social skills. You seem to be implying that key parts of the individual are utterly annihilated in school systems but you're too vague. The way I experienced public education, the thing that was lost needed losing and it was consistent with my upbringing at home. Lost: lack of self discipline, childish demands for immediate gratification, and a wandering attention span obstructing the way of comprehension skills. Making things up was appropriate in art class, or even a creative writing exercise in english, but not on a history test. Running around was appropriate on the school yard, but not in the classroom. Often times 5 things are being taught simultaneously and it's not understood until well after the fact why the lesson plan was designed that way. I liken it to UCMJ tradition that civilians are oblivious to. Before you toss that book and rewrite it to accommodate an outlier problem better resolved on individual basis, it's best you fully comprehend what the original lesson plan was designed to solve.

Quote:
Kindergarten is for 5 year olds, it doesn't matter if some can already read and do some math equations and that others have never seen a book or held a crayon. They'll be grouped together and they'll for the most part remain together - no matter that by 4th grade some would be capable of learning calculus and some have still not grasped addition and subtraction.
I recall being very frustrated and acting out as a young girl. By 3rd grade I was reading at a 7th grade level and I resented not having material that challenged me. They recommended advancing a grade but it's a good thing mom decided against it. While I endured sitting idle during reading time having wiped out their 3rd grade library, my deficit in math was entirely overlooked and made itself apparent in 4th grade. Had any of them been aware of that deficit my mother would have invested the time tutoring my shortcoming at home. The school could have redirected my english time to math time. Low tech cost effective fixes are appropriate. Tearing down schools to accommodate one little girl is foolhardy.

All the upside to homeschooling still remains in the hands of parents sending their children to public schools. It's only under utilized by parents who've distanced themselves from their own child as if educating were some exclusive domain of a subcontractor that ought not be infringed upon. That's not the schools fault. The source of that mentality originates in religious abuses asserting politics in schools. It's an illusion in the minds of parents. I've not seen a school district that discourages parents from reading to their child at home, taking them on field trips outside school hours, or teaching children things above and beyond the parameters of a classroom. Ever. Where is this happening in America?

Quote:
And they'll be taught group-think.
I was taught the value of collaborative efforts. I was also taught the value of individual excellence finding it's place in the context of groups, and in competitive endeavors. I was not taught blind obedience to authority. Who teaches that? Rigid religious authoritarians lean hard on 'because I'm the daddy and I said so', but in doing so, they're abdicating teaching and obstructing meaningful possession of individual free will. American Catholic culture struggles & is non compliant when the Vatican persists denying the theological problem they created for themselves.

Lots of different brands of group think. Group as in familial bonds. Group as in friends. Group as in community endeavors. Group as in St Patty's day parades showing off my shamrocks. Group as in military service. Group as in preserving profession integrity. Group as in common sense. Group as in unanimously agreeing the calendar has 7 days in it. Group think/ consensus is intrinsically evil?

It's a curious thing about anarchist philosophies gone wild that, out of one side of their mouths, desires purist individualism, but out the other side, demands the planet validate their narcissism and through smarmy legalisms obliges all to carry their luggage. All hail worship individualist supremacy. The army of one, AKA the lone gunman shooting up communities. Heil, penis. Heil.

Quote:
Especially the little boys but all kids whose learning style is best suited to hands on learning and interactive learning and are better at multi-tasking will have to either comply on their own to sit quietly for hours on end or be drugged. Now class...... it's time to take out your math books.....
You appear to be struggling to articulate the specific skills of a boy that are outside the parameters of 3 r's measures. I hope you champion him somehow, but not by diminishing the value of all others around him to make him artificially taller. You've left me with a mental picture of a thug tackling the chess champ off stage jealously coveting a crown he didn't earn. "My kid beat up your honors student" bumper stickers announce what about whom?

You've got a vaguely similar argument of minorities, and minority cultures, being excluded from western culture norms. It's a similar argument the feminine muscles of emotional IQ's not registering in school systems. I can assure you this system is not, and has never been, beneficial to your daughter at the expense of your son. That too is mythology peddled by malevolent people bent on perpetuating sibling rivalries for profit. Notice a pattern here yet?

Back in the day I remember teachers rewarding/ highlighting virtuous behavior of students as part of the daily routine. Criticism could be negative, positive, or mixed, and I didn't experience assessments as if it were a punishment. It was more like an opportunity to get 'unstuck' and/or gather the esteem of accolades. Overall it reinforced a sense of common decency in the local neighborhoods, and in the larger community. What most social conservatives would logically describe as family values, but in this era, is horribly twisted by social conservatives themselves lost in their maze of contradictions. Liberals didn't do that. Their misery is self inflicted.

Virtue falls outside the parameters of the 3 r's, and so, bean counters ostensibly made it against the law tightening up the blinders for teachers to teach for the test, only to turn around blaming teachers for the blinders undermining their profession to service the bean counter profession. False 'religious' made it against the law to say the pledge of allegiance in school. Other 'religious' have created a professional victim religion laying blame at the feet of atheists persecuting them when atheists were overwhelmingly indifferent to it. When theosophists, atheists and secularists attempted to promote virtue and build consensus, they're accused by 'orthodox' (because I'm the daddy and I said so crowd) in all denominations of creating another religion. They're accused of indoctrinating children into the liberal world view 'attacking' the beam in the eye world view of 38,000 brands of child indoctrination attempting to proselytize through book burning in the school system. Thou shalt not think critically is not in the Bible.

Notice this OCD predator pattern yet? Should a herd of adults out of control with themselves be permitted to trump the best interests of children? To corrupt the mission statement with petty agendas intent on suppressing all for the sole benefit of one chosen child world view? Is this the adult example you'd like to be setting for your own child? Is this how adults solve their problems with a gang of accountants, a gang of Bishops or a gang of lawyers conscripting children into tribal wars? The Queen is not amused, gentlemen.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The choice to give them medication or not is the parents. However, the schools do need to know if someone takes psychotropic drugs and, depending on the medication, they need to know if the child misses their medication. It impacts how behavior problems with a particular child are handled. What they can do is place the child in an alternative setting, such as a Emotional/behavioral Disability (EBD) classroom, if your child can not be controlled in a regular classroom. That possibility is what "makes" some reluctant parents medicate their child.

By the way, you can be charged with medical neglect if you fail to properly take care of your child's medical needs without a good reason; this includes failing to medicate a psychotic one. I assume that is what happened in this situation. If it ends up getting your child suspended or in danger of getting expelled you can also be charged with educational neglect in some states.

What parents can sometimes forget is that their child is not the only one in the classroom or the school. Behavior that is tolerable in a one-on-one or family situation can create havoc in a classroom. Other children also have the right to be educated in a safe environment.
What you are talking about is different than what I mean. I never heard of this story until now. Maybe if someone posted a real video of the story instead of this one with the army and tanks, I could better comment about what happened in this case. I was thinking more along the lines of every kid they want to call ADHD and ADD tell parents to drug them. There are way too many drugged kids that don't need to be.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
What you are talking about is different than what I mean. I never heard of this story until now. Maybe if someone posted a real video of the story instead of this one with the army and tanks, I could better comment about what happened in this case. I was thinking more along the lines of every kid they want to call ADHD and ADD tell parents to drug them. There are way too many drugged kids that don't need to be.
Easy enough to confuse because there are multiple problems and multiple disciplines coming up short all at once. Getting it solved requires the mindset of disaster forensics pin pointing out the multiple devils in the details causing a 40 car pile up. It's tedious. It's annoying. And it's also needful if legit improvements/ course corrections are ever going to have a shot at being implemented. Too many in this thread allow their emotions & mis-attributed blame to get in the way of what cooler heads need to be working on.

People presuming that going into such detail about problems will only end in 100,000 pages of regulations is false. The ideal solutions, with full understanding of the complexity of the problem, reliably bring it back down to the Keep It Simple Stupid resolutions. Laws & reg standards need to be practicable by ordinary people or they can't apply to ordinary people for lack of 20 PhD's.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I really think you are the one who needs some serious help. Next time I will leave a smiley for those too stupid to detect obvious sarcasm.
I owe you an apology--I can see now from reading some of your other posts that you WERE being sarcastic--but the smileys are here BECAUSE it's so difficult to express sarcasm here without them. You thought you said something so crazy that no one could take it seriously--try reading this board for a day or two.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
This thread is very disappointing. Harborlady is a mouthpiece for the progressive social order and says herself that parents get in the way. What you'all seem to have missed is that this mother believes, and she should know, that her childs behavior problems started after school mandated vaccinations. She went along with the medication until she recognized risperdal was causing a whole new set of problems. She is the ultimate authority, and I admire her courage. Children are being assaulted by gov't and those that say they know best. No they don't, the parent does, if they are informed like this mother.

Quote:
Goldboldo’s daughter was having behavioral problems the mother believes grew out of an aversive reaction to school-dictated vaccinations
follow the money
Vaccine Makers & Government vs. Parents?

Risperdal is a serious drug. Parents need to be vigilent in what medications are being given your children. I believe there is an all out assault on parental rights and on children by authoritarians that do not have your childs best interest at heart. Question everything!

Risperdal® Side Effects in Children - Stephen Sheller on CBS Evening News - YouTube

don't be so quick to put your child on a drug for a behavior problem that may be a normal response to family dynamics such as this mothers experience.

Quote:
For awhile last year I thought my older son needed medication for his OCD symptoms, but I noticed once the visits with his father ceased his facial and vocal tics subsided. Keen observation and note taking are essential in determining what is best for your child. I kept my son home the first week we changed medication so I would be able to notice any change in his behavior, diet or bowel movements and not have to rely on others to maintain this crucial scrutiny.

It was a boost to my parenting skills when the Developmental Pediatrician complimented me on my thorough notes and research on the medication issues and side effects. Initially our Pediatrician was against the data I would find online, but now she is pleased with the results and remarks highly on the knowledge I have acquired and contribute to the care of my children.
Our experience with Risperdal and side effects - Autism Spectrum Disorders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies