Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I am not surprised that steel pipes buried in the ground for 60 years would corrode enough to leak. I would be very surprised if they did not. This, like many bridges and water supply systems, is just another part of the great infrastructure repairs that we need. I think it is time to let the rest of the world go on its own while we repair our own house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
over 45,000 miles of oil pipelines in this country. Yes there will be an occasional leak.
After our aquifers are contaminated by oil leaks, you might change your user name to oilboy.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am not surprised that steel pipes buried in the ground for 60 years would corrode enough to leak. I would be very surprised if they did not. This, like many bridges and water supply systems, is just another part of the great infrastructure repairs that we need. I think it is time to let the rest of the world go on its own while we repair our own house.
The surprising annoyance is that profit gleaning oil companies don't replace these pipes proactively. Instead, they just wait until the oil leaks out into our fertile lands, lakes, and rivers before they take action. While any reasonable person, such as yourself, can see these pipes will leak. It is just a matter of when.

Anyone here think ingestion of oil is good for our bodies or that of wildlife?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The surprising annoyance is that profit gleaning oil companies don't replace these pipes proactively. Instead, they just wait until the oil leaks out into our fertile lands, lakes, and rivers before they take action. While any reasonable person, such as yourself, can see these pipes will leak. It is just a matter of when.

Anyone here think ingestion of oil is good for our bodies or that of wildlife?
My god girl; you're eating oil in everything from your margarine to your ice cream and have been for decades!

Your last post though is sounding somewhat more reasonable in that instead of you referring to Canadian's raping you for profit, now it's just some oil company. Progress is being made here.

No one on this planet would think to defend a poor business practice regarding the piping of oil. A poor business practice is for a board of directors to purchase 20 year old, or indeed even 50 year old, in some cases, pipelines without thinking of factoring in the cost of bringing those pipelines up to more recent compliance. That goes for wherever those companies may be based.

Your country has literally thousands of miles of underground pipeline running willy-nilly throughout it. More than a few of those miles and miles of pipeline are nearing 50 years old. Some even close to the Ogallala Aquifer. Not all of it is owned by Enbridge.

Anyone advocating very strict protection of that aquifer should indeed be listened to. I would suggest however you paint with a broader brush if your prime concern is indeed simpy your environment and not based on your dislike of a particular country as your thread title and subsequent couple of posts would seem to suggest.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Seems that corporate leaders do not realize that the sacrificial anodes the provide corrosion resistance for the steel pipes are actually sacrificed and have to be periodically replaced but do not do so because of the cost. It is cheaper for the companies to fix the spills instead of maintaining the pipelines. It is cheaper for the companies because they never pay the full cost of a leak. WE, the public, pay the difference.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Another pipeline from Canada leaked last year causing the worst pipeline disaster in US history. The problem is tar sands oil doesn't float, it's too thick and full of asphaltics, it sinks with about half going to the bottom and the other half floating in the water column. Since it doesn't behave like regular light crude no one knows exactly how to clean it up once a spill does occur and there WILL be more spills.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM

I watched this with a grain of salt but .... well, at east it's an effort performed.

A River Returns To Its People - Enbridge Inc.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My god girl; you're eating oil in everything from your margarine to your ice cream and have been for decades!

Your last post though is sounding somewhat more reasonable in that instead of you referring to Canadian's raping you for profit, now it's just some oil company. Progress is being made here.

No one on this planet would think to defend a poor business practice regarding the piping of oil. A poor business practice is for a board of directors to purchase 20 year old, or indeed even 50 year old, in some cases, pipelines without thinking of factoring in the cost of bringing those pipelines up to more recent compliance. That goes for wherever those companies may be based.

Your country has literally thousands of miles of underground pipeline running willy-nilly throughout it. More than a few of those miles and miles of pipeline are nearing 50 years old. Some even close to the Ogallala Aquifer. Not all of it is owned by Enbridge.

Anyone advocating very strict protection of that aquifer should indeed be listened to. I would suggest however you paint with a broader brush if your prime concern is indeed simpy your environment and not based on your dislike of a particular country as your thread title and subsequent couple of posts would seem to suggest.
Petroleum oil is in ice cream and margarine? I don't think so. I am pretty sure that ingestion of petroleum is very harmful to human life and wildlife.

Also, I happen to like Canada so relax. It is the oil companies that want to take our land and rape our resources that I have a problem with.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Petroleum oil is in ice cream and margarine? I don't think so. I am pretty sure that ingestion of petroleum is very harmful to human life and wildlife.

Also, I happen to like Canada so relax. It is the oil companies that want to take our land and rape our resources that I have a problem with.

Oh I see; so the title of the thread was just to get peoples attention then?

And yes; petroleum by-products and derivatives are used for various reasons in many items you eat. You just don't know it.

//http://www.wholevegan.com/food_additives.html

First Consumers Find the Petroleum Derived Food Additive TBHQ in McDonald's Chicken Nuggets and Now Kellogg's Eggo Frozen Waffles? Just How Many Products is TBHQ in Anyway? | Environmental Booty®...Find the Treasure in Living Green!

petroleum hydrocarbons, odorless, light 977051-68-5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies