Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hols36 View Post
The quip about "relatives in India" was just that, a quip. It was not meant to be taken literally.

I have no illusions about why that insurance company has staffed an entire department with people from India -- 1,500 jobs. Do you?

Yes, I am well aware that outsourcing is common, some would say rampant. It's why President Obama proposed, in the past few weeks if memory serves, tax incentives for businesses to 'bring the jobs home'.

It speaks to the profit motive in Corporate America, and how that trumps any other allegiance.
Well, wouldn't it be easier and quicker to just suspend the H1-B and H2-B programs for a while so that Americans can apply for those jobs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM

79 posts, read 225,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have seen outsourcing construction labor to illegal aliens, since the late 80's.

Welcome to my world.... to the bottom.
Widely practiced from what I have read.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hols36 View Post
This brings to mind a conversation I had with a plumber, an older guy who has been in that line of work his entire life. He's seen it all. He said in years past, parts were made here in the U.S. and were of very high quality. Those parts are now harder and harder to find. More often, his vendors will carry China-supplied parts. He referred to them as 'junk' but said they were good for his business. I asked, "How so?" He said, "The parts don't last". In a few years, he might have to redo the same repair, whereas with an American-made part, the repair would be good for decades, if not a lifetime. I thought of that when I read that San Francisco had awarded a huge contract for the rebuilding of the Oakland Bay bridge to a Chinese company. The city will save several million in construction costs, but only time will tell whether that was the right decision.
The irony that you bring up a plumber... when the occupation a plumbing is mostly built around outsourcing. Chances are that this plumber relies on outsourcing to attain work. Yet you think that outsourcing is a bad thing.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Explain, please.
Most construction projects are outsourced to construction companies and contractors. For example, the One World Trade Center is not being built by people who work for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey outsourced it to a construction company that is familiar with high-rise buildings. This is very common in the construction industry.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most construction projects are outsourced to construction companies and contractors. For example, the One World Trade Center is not being built by people who work for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey outsourced it to a construction company that is familiar with high-rise buildings. This is very common in the construction industry.
Outsourcing these days though can also refer to out of the country sourcing.

Example...Government outsources to a local tech firm but that tech firm has offshore employees.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Outsourcing these days though can also refer to out of the country sourcing.

Example...Government outsources to a local tech firm but that tech firm has offshore employees.
I'm many cases, outsourcing can consist of offshoring. Insourcing can also consist of offshoring. Should companies stop employing people altogether? Why this war on outsourcing but no war on employing people?

Adobe opened an office I'm India and hired software developers there. That's not outsourcing and is far worse than me hiring a plumber to fix my toilet. But the OP is more concerned about the latter.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm many cases, outsourcing can consist of offshoring. Insourcing can also consist of offshoring. Should companies stop employing people altogether? Why this war on outsourcing but no war on employing people?
Maybe because for many people it hits close to home. I have seen my share at work (high tech) where the employees had to transition their jobs to offshore employees before they got their severance pay.

So the work itself didn't go away..just the US employee. And then you read how these high tech CEOs go groveling to Congress that there are no skilled workers here in the US.

Go hang out in the Linux forums for a while and see just how many skilled US programmers are no longer earning a paycheck for programming. Linux is an outlet where they can still employ their skills.
But their paychecks now come from another source.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
I recall years ago seeing a program about the tax monies of the USA that was spent on education to foreigners. A whopping 66 % of our tax dollars were for educating people in foreign countries such as in India.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe because for many people it hits close to home. I have seen my share at work (high tech) where the employees had to transition their jobs to offshore employees before they got their severance pay.

So the work itself didn't go away..just the US employee. And then you read how these high tech CEOs go groveling to Congress that there are no skilled workers here in the US.

Go hang out in the Linux forums for a while and see just how many skilled US programmers are no longer earning a paycheck for programming. Linux is an outlet where they can still employ their skills.
But their paychecks now come from another source.
Consider the adobe example I appended to my last post. How come they are ok, but outsourcing is not? Seems like they are the ones taking jobs away.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I recall years ago seeing a program about the tax monies of the USA that was spent on education to foreigners. A whopping 66 % of our tax dollars were for educating people in foreign countries such as in India.
We need to educate India for sure. But it should cost us just a fraction of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies