Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Your premise, not mine.

Romney's mormonism may keep some of the mouth-breathing fundies home on election day unless he can give them some indication that he's really one of them.
The fundy hotbeds are in states Romney is going to win whether they come out and vote or not and they hate Obama wayyy more than they'd ever love Romney.

Haven't you ever followed presidential election strategy?
It's ALL about the swing states from here on in....and that means targeting jewish voters specifically FLORIDA.

Check out the map....all the fundy core areas are going Romney. Look at the grey or light colored areas.
RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
He's trying to suck up to the religious right weirdos, because Israel plays an important part in their "rapture" fantasy.
We have a winner here.

That visit was aimed at evangelicals in the US who believe that a whole Jewish state has to be in place before the second coming of Christ. Well, that and rebuilding of the Temple, which only occurs if modern Israel controls all of Jerusalem and tears down the Dome of the Rock to make room... That certainly wouldn't start a war now would it?

This voting group typically considers Mormons to be cult members, but their desire to help bring about the rapture trumps their distrust of Romney's religion.

He's also reaching out to Jewish voters, but I think it's more to motivate the fundamentalists who might otherwise stay home.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
LOL! If so many little old ladies didn't retire from NY to swing-state FL and the sunshine of Boca Raton, Israel would already have been forced to make peace with the Palestinians.
It should not be automatic that Israel's enemies must be enemies of the US,
and supporting Israel blindly is not only a hindrance to peace, but it's dangerous.

Any other place in the world and 8M people would
have to make concessions with the M's and M's around them.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
He's kissing up to the Jews to show the Jewish voters at home that he isn't going to throw them under the bus like Obama did.
I started a thread that shows how the USA Jews are not going to support Romney and why. Romney is sucking up to the Evangelicals in his staged Israeli support.

//www.city-data.com/forum/25415029-post1.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...lican-chutzpah

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-31-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why is Romney kissing up to Israel?

Probably to make up for 4 years of Obama kissing up to the terrorists and thugs of the countries surrounding it, telling Israel to go back to the pre-1967 borders, and other such outrages.

Anything else I can help you with?
Actually, I suspect that this "making up for" the current administration's deficiencies and outrages, has a lot to do with the surprise so many are showing over Romney's demonstration of support for Israel.

Romney has said that he would not comment on the sitting President while he is on foreign soil, and to my knowledge he hasn't.

But Obama has done so MUCH wrong, to so many all over the world, that it's hard to not trip over it with nearly every step.

Obama has been visibly cool, and often even insulting, to Israel for most of his term - a trend he has suddenly tried to reverse in the last month or so as he realizes that he needs every vote he can get to avoid disaster in November.

Romney's more normal support for Israel, looks surprising and unusually strong... when compared to the last three years of indifference and support for Israel's enemies.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
We have a winner here.

their desire to help bring about the rapture trumps their distrust of Romney's religion.

it's more to motivate the fundamentalists who might otherwise stay home.
Romney is letting them know, I want what you want...
That was the purpose of the whole "show and tell" trip.

It's not the Jewish vote that Romney needs to beat Obama.
It's the fundamentalist/evangelical right.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Apologies in advance; didn't read the entire thread nor planning on it.
Just curious to know, did Romney call anyone "The Dear Leader" while he was in Israel?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I started a thread that shows how the USA Jews are not going to support Romney and why. Romney is sucking up to the Evangelicals in his staged Israeli support.
Yep, nothing to worry about....nothing to see here.....Romney couldn't possibly be really after the jewish vote because we all know they will just vote democrat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/ny...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Mr. Turner will become the first Republican since 1920 elected to represent the Ninth Congressional District
Quote:
“I am a registered Democrat, I have always been a registered Democrat, I come from a family of Democrats — and I hate to say this, I voted Republican,” said Linda Goldberg, 61, after casting her ballot in Queens. “I need to send a message to the president that he’s not doing a very good job. Our economy is horrible. People are scared.”
*shrug* I think both Obama and Romney suck, I'm just explaining the strategy. I've made my case as to what Romney is attempting to do and how the loss of Weiners seat is cause for concern with regards to Jewish voters in key swing states with Florida representing enough electoral votes that if Obama wins it....Romney is likely sunk. Romney HAS to win Florida and the strategists on both sides know this so spare me all the partisan hogwash.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Romney is letting them know, I want what you want...
That was the purpose of the whole "show and tell" trip.

It's not the Jewish vote that Romney needs to beat Obama.
It's the fundamentalist/evangelical right.
Looking at the current electoral projection map I provided, explain the logic underpinning your position. Is he afraid of losing KS to Obama or something?

What's your logic?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You know Jews because you had a few Jews visit your church. I doubt very seriously that you have met very many orthodox Jews, if the only Jews you have met were in your Church. I doubt that Orthodox Jews would set foot in a Christian Chruch. To them that would be blasphemy.

Here is just a little bit of information as to how the Orthodox Jews feel about Jesus. IF you don't believe it, take a visit to Israel and ask an Orthodox Jew for yourself. Go to the wailing wall and ask one of the Orthodox Jews praying there about Jesus and Christianity. I think you will be in for a rude awakening.

Talmud Unmasked Part One

I am technically Jewish. I am not however an Orthodox Jew. Frankly, those people scare me. You can't Judge all Jews by the right wing orthodoxy.
I think I know more about Jews than the average gentile. Those that we had in our church that had become believers had been practicing Jews. One of the things we liked about having Jews in our church was their insight and knowledge of the "Old Testament" (as Christians call it). They were always eager to teach. The Jewish ladies taught the children Jewish dances, which they enjoyed learning. That was in California.

We had Jews in one church we were attending for several years over in PA as well. Same experience their. They were just as eager to teach about Judaism, and how the scriptures foretold the coming of Christ (which, of course, non-believing Jews do not yet accept; they do not recognize the prophesies pointing to Christ).

Secondly, as a self employed person, I have done work for Jews. I have found them to be wonderful people. One family was putting in a Kosher kitchen. We were there for several weeks, and we shared a lot. In the end, we were invited to their daughters Bat Mitzvah, which I think shows that we had a good relationship. We did additional work for this family in subsequent years as well. I expect we will hear from them again one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies