Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM

667 posts, read 515,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I had read that responce before. i also knew the gun grabbers were driving you crazy, just as they do me. They and sometimjes we are all broken records..

They beg and whine, we try to explain and after awhile we loose it with text....

For gun owners this has been going on since JFK was killed,,,, For a grabber it is just a week, month maybe to rease the guilt of having a catch and release justice System....

I shot a man who was in the act of threatening me, my great dane my now x wife and my then infant son at 2:30 AM at my home in a rural town of NH.

Once when I omitted that, i was accused by a grabber of not living in a safe place. If that little town backed up to the White Mtns National Forest isn't a safe town I guess i had best move to the court yard of the Pentagon..

I am no macho head, I am humble and at Peace for so much as i can be.. trouble just has a way of finding me..

My current wife has passed me a gun before several times living off the beaten path can see to it you find trouble when your AT home!
If you are referring to my post, I would appreciate you speaking to me directly.

If not, I think speaking more to responsibility and less about grabbers will help our case.

Sometimes the impression can be shoot then aim, which may not be the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The theater at Aurora was posted no guns, so obviously making theaters gun-free zones doesn't keep crazed killers out.

well they keep em off planes

Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Here we go again. I read all about you. Hows the weather in NC? It's hot and humid here. You are maybe just a little liberal, you seem kind of snotty in my opinion, like the typical liberal, but it's your choice. Florida is pretty close to the requirements you like for a carry permit. I don't feel my guns really need to all be registered but no big deal I have nothing to hide.

And yes I do have insurance on my home.
Was it the fact that under my username it says "Equal Opportunity Offender" that gave that away? Good work Law and Order

You hit the nail on the head with that one minus the liberal part and I actually choose to take each topic on a case by case basis. For instance I am a big proponent of the death penalty for more than just murder cases. Child rapists and three time violent felons should also be eligible for it. I am not big on government spending or over taxing people but I also don't think that not taxing people is the answer.

I am pro-choice, pro gun (with background checks, gun registration and harsher penalties for those who commit crimes using a gun). If someone wants a gun then fine. Just be prepared to pay a higher penalty if you use that gun to commit a crime. I think religion needs to stay the hell out of politics but people have the right to their beliefs on their own time. I think gay people should be able to get married, I don;t think the government should have any say in it either. I believe in the free market and corporate responsibility.

I see myself as an independent....thinker that is. I don't identify with a specific party (two party system is garbage) and I don't blindly look at the (D) or (R) and automatically agree with their thoughts, beliefs etc.

Congratulations on reading all about me on an anonymous forum (It says I am in NC every time I post so don't go thinking your Dick Tracy or anything) but kudos to you for seeing what state I live in.

Guns should be registered for one simple reason. If one is used in the commission of a crime and either the bullet identification or the gun itself is found and able to be used to find out whodunnit then what is wrong with that? If that is considered "gun grabbing" or overstepping your rights then we definitely disagree on that.

PS> You should look into Cincinnati Insurance. Great customer service and great rates.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Totally stupid of him to do this!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Simple - the "good" carries the firearm in a safe manner and uses it properly and ethically.

The "bad" - DON'T do the above.

Good = the gentleman who was openly carrying his weapon in Thornton.

Bad = James Eagan Holmes in Aurora.
The problem is that no one can tell the difference between the former and the latter until it's time to do the body count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Because there is this little thing called the U.S. Constitution - part of which states "a well regulated militia, neccesary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

The better question is "why not"?
Fine. Everyone has the right to open carry a 5-foot long, one-shot musket.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Default A close call at the movies

Opinion & Commentary - Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com

A Close Call at the Movies

by James Taranto
"Best of the Web Today"
July 31, 2012

An employee at a Cookeville, Tenn., movie theater called police the other night "after seeing a man with a holstered pistol walk into the theater," WSMV-TV reports. The movie was briefly stopped after officers responded to the scene. The cops asked if anyone was carrying a gun.

Three men stood up.

"The officers explained the [theater] policy prohibiting weapons and asked the men to return their guns to their vehicles, which police said they did." All three men had proper permits for their firearms. Police said the theater sign showing that weapons are prohibited was not large enough to be seen easily, so officers advised that it should be made more visible. 3 people carry guns into movie theater in Putnam County - WSMV Channel 4

Thank goodness there was no violence in the theater that night, with the crowd left defenseless like that.

----------------------------------------------

I've often wondered: Suppose I go to a public place like a movie theater, a store, or etc. that has a sign displayed saying "No firearms allowed", and so I leave my carry piece outside locked in my car trunk. Some nutcase goes in there and starts blazing away and hurts or kills me.

Is the theater or store responsible for protecting me, since they took it upon themselves to prohibit me from doing it myself? And are they therefore liable for any damage or injuries I sustain from the nutcase who shot me?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
A private business can allow or disallow firearms at their leisure.

No, they're not liable if some nutbag goes haywire. You chose to go into a business that you knew disallowed firearms.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well they keep em off planes
So shall people be strip searched by the TSA to go into theaters now?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Here we go again. I read all about you. Hows the weather in NC? It's hot and humid here. You are maybe just a little liberal, you seem kind of snotty in my opinion, like the typical liberal, but it's your choice. Florida is pretty close to the requirements you like for a carry permit. I don't feel my guns really need to all be registered but no big deal I have nothing to hide.

And yes I do have insurance on my home.
Are Fla guns registered these days? In lived there once for a few years and bought hand guns that were never registered. NH has no gun registry and better not..

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Up untill Columbine I was welcomed in a great many schools in NH and Maine with weapons fo the Fur Trade, and was paid, which was good since i am partly disabled with a bad back (work related)

I made good money and kids got to see something more real that video games and tv.
"weapons for the Fur Trade"? So you brought firearms you used to hunt animals into the school? What did the kids see that was more real than video games? I'm confused on what you're trying to say here.

Quote:
I am not so sure there is greater harm caused by any weapons in Govt buildings, my take is the Govt is more afraid of We the People as it should be... However the Govt isn't that afraid anymore.
You really think that there is no greater risk of some whacko, like this guy from the theater in Aurora, who is upset at the government for whatever reason walking into a building and taking a shot at someone?

Quote:
I love the foolish laws about guns in school zones.. Where i live it is impossible to obey the law, and no one cares about the law since many schools are on the road side and there is as i said no possible way to drive and be legal.. No one has tested this bad law so far as i know.
I cannot agree with that. There is no reason that I can think of that a private citizen should be carrying a firearm onto school grounds of any sort.

Quote:
Mass has a book on just gun law consisting of 25,000 pages and as i last heard it not even Judges could figure it out.
That should say something, as it makes no sence to have law no one can understand. But of course ignorance is no excuse......
I have no idea what MA's gun laws are, so I can't comment.

Quote:
Mass still has a law where All men must bring rifles to church on Sundays! IMO there are a good many laws that need to be removed from the books.. This does not mean add new laws to replace old or bad laws either.
I would agree. As I said in this, or perhaps one of the other gun threads, I do not favor any more "gun control".

Quote:
Like we need a smaller Govt we need less laws and more common sence.
I don't agree that we necessarily need fewer laws, but I'll agree on the common sense bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies