Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I only pay my dues. I am disgusted by the extreme politics of the NRA. I do not support any of their subsidiary organizations. I support their efforts to improve the sport by opening gun ranges and providing training opportunities.
I feel the same, and then some. I'm so disgusted by the social and legalized license NRA has been printing it's 'supporters' that I'm of the mind to use my second amendment right to shoot the NRA as a threat to national security.

I also don't appreciate one whit how they've gone very far out of their way to promote men defending themselves but utterly ignore their daughters most in need of learning how to defend themselves. So let's not kid ourselves anymore. It's not about defense with them. It's about control of others, profiteering from strife, and selling fire arms to both sides to infinity and beyond. They exploit the good nature of fathers intent on defending their families, but ultimately, produce results where he's slaughtering his own family. I've nothing kind left to say to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm of the mind to use my second amendment right to shoot the NRA as a threat to national security.

I see the mindset that is present, in your situation.

It is scary.

Explain how one would shoot the NRA?

No one is going to touch gun rights in an election year.
Not even going to be in their platform.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady
I'm so disgusted by the social and legalized license NRA has been printing it's 'supporters' that I'm of the mind to use my second amendment right to shoot the NRA as a threat to national security.
As Bentbow points out, it's tough to imagine how one could 'shoot the NRA.' But moreover, what does the first part of the sentence even mean?

If you're old enough you remember the 'this is your brain on drugs' commercial. We need a new version along the lines of 'this is your brain on Kos.'

This Is Your Brain On Drugs (Original) - YouTube

Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
My biggest complaint with them is it seemed that they used my money for nothing but soliciting me for more money.
Seems like all groups are doing this.........send money they send you a shirt, hat, calendar etc......it's getting awfully tiresome, starting to wonder if the money donated to groups are going to them at all.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Actually the NRA promotes women & children learning gun safety. We attend and use to be on a committee Friends of the NRA you meet great people, there's women who come who know how to shoot and ones that want to learn. I suggest if you have a group in your community get involved it's great fun. Women & children are welcomed and encouraged to be involved.

The banquets are lots of fun, you have a chance to win gun(s) and other NRA products.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
I used to be a member then I grew up and now I give money to the ACLU. They do a much better job of looking out for my constitutional rights.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't like it either but apparently the junk mail bombardment strategy must work because most large organizations seem to do it. A few years ago I wrote the NRA asking them to stop sending me so much junk mail, because Seattle-area had lots of ID theft, so I have to shred anything that has my name & address. They must have put me on a special list because now I only get junk mail from them maybe once or twice per year.

I used to donate to the 2nd Amendment foundation too and they just deluged me with mail. I wrote them with the same request to stop, but they never did. Making sure not to donate after the last time I moved was the only way I solved that one. It's too bad because they have been very active with legal stuff lately.

That's exactly why I don't donate or become a member. I don't want the solicitations in my mailbox or on the phone, but I am grateful for what they do.
I think Obama was concerned that this treaty might interfere with us supplying the mercenaries (aka rebels) in countries such as Libya and Syria. For those who think Obama supports the 2nd Amendment, what do you think Fast n Furious was all about? I'm also wondering about the Colorado shooting, what we know isn't making a lot of sense. More questions than answers. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA wasn't behind that too.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
A question to your question: do you want to be slave or free?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't always agree with the NRA, and like any large democratically run organization there is plenty of waste, fraud and abuse. However the NRA is the single most effective pro-liberty organization there is. Gun rights are really the only rights that have gotten stronger over the past quarter century. We're constantly chipping away at the 1st Amendment, and the 4th Amendment has basically been flushed down the sewer. Property rights after Kelo are in trouble. Last time I bought a car the dealer made me fill out a bunch of personal info even though I was paying cash--required by the Patriot Act, they said. It's no longer a 'free country' as we used to exclaim when we were kids, and some nanny tried to tell us we couldn't do this or that.

Only with gun rights have we seen progress, thanks to the NRA. Gun owners who don't join for whatever petty reason are riding in the wagon while the rest of us pull.
You make a good point, I may reconsider and join.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's I'm also wondering about the Colorado shooting, what we know isn't making a lot of sense. More questions than answers. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA wasn't behind that too.
That's a real reach. Holmes is clearly delusional, and out of 350 million people the occasional Lizzy Borden does something horrible. Laws can't prevent evil. If the F&F guys had staged it (which I do not believe even they would do), the guns would probably have been purchased from a gun show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies