Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 AM

441 posts, read 501,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I believe in being prepared.
Great wisdom. But just when you get armed to the teeth to take on roaming gangs of thugs, the Zombie Apocalyse AND Godzilla, darnit, the Ebola virus strikes.

What's a paranoid to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 AM

119 posts, read 99,608 times
It's not as cut and dry as own a gun, don't own a gun, for or against.
If you're in a high crime area and feel "more prepared" to protect your family with a gun, then fine but be a responsible gun owner or it may just be one of the "several children" in the house killing each other.
So many irresponsible gun owners out there......

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think very few people are against guns. I think that's more of the imaginary liberal caricature that you all enjoy so much. Practically, if you want to own a gun to protect your family in your home more power to you. You have every right to protect your family.

Quote:
The problem comes that most people who want guns want them for the wrong reasons.
if your sitting here counting the minutes until you can shoot an invader to meet some psychological hero complex related need you have-- you shouldn't have a gun. I see way to many wanna-be George Zimmerman's posting their imagined heroics and basking in the aftermath. If you consider having to shoot and kill someone anything but tragic, you're a poor candidate for a gun.

If you want to carry your gun to the supermarket because of all of the danger in the produce section, again, that's ok. When you want everyone to know your packing, and get off on the fact that you can kill anyone you decide to at any minute, that's not ok.

The problem isn't the guns. The problem is the common gun-toting idiot.
Not true, you should visit here....Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You are anti-gun, there are several small kids in your home, in the middle of the night five or six robbers burst into your home.
You call 911 but it will be 15 minutes until the police arrive.
Now what do you think of "only the police and army should have guns"?
You have THAT gun in your house, not loaded because of the kids AND locked up. These robbers burst into your home with their guns..how fast can you get to your gun before they shoot you and kill your family?? The call has been placed to the Police..15 minutes?? On a good day maybe they will get there in 15 minutes.
Other options?? Take your family, your cell phone and if you can get to your gun get that too and head out the nearest window if on the first floor..if on the second, lock yourself in a bathroom or head for the attic. Get out of their way!! It is only STUFF they are after. Let them have the STUFF.
We live in a fairly tough city. We lock our doors at night, have a house alarm that is LOUD and connected somehow so the Police get notified right away. We do have a gun..a 12 guage not loaded and we have a Pit Bull. Am I afraid to shoot? NOPE...if someone is going to hurt my family I will shoot. Problem is..how fast can I grab that 12 guage, load it and shoot???
I do not think that only the Police and Army should have guns. What I do think is that people need to be better educated on how to use them and closely screened before they purchase them. There has to be a way to keep FREAKS like the Aurora FREAK from doing what he did.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
.if someone is going to hurt my family I will shoot. Problem is..how fast can I grab that 12 guage, load it and shoot???
With shells in the night stand or on a high shelf you could get that gun grabbed and loaded within 15-20 seconds. Much faster than a cop coming to your home.

Have you gone somewhere and practiced ? It's like driving, you need to do it occasionally to get better.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Removing all of the macho blustering from the 19 year olds living in mom's basement; this is what it comes down to.

The best choice of weapon for the job at hand. Protecting your home and it's occupants, roving around the city performing your daily chores, or even attending your work place sitting at your desk. All would dictate a different weapon choice as the optimum or ideal weapon for each scenario.

Once the weapon selection has been made then it comes down to the training on that particular weapon and it's intended role of protection.

In house protection is vastly different from driving your car to the local Walmart to cruise the aisles looking for bargains. Sitting at your desk in your little cubical (or in some cases, beside your mom's washer/dryer) with your back to the opening; a totally different scenario.

I've known people who had a handgun in the glove box of their car AND also carried who had completely forgotten about the glove box weapon and left the thing in there while the car was in for service and hadn't thought to check whether it was still there for weeks after the service was performed. How freak'n dumb is that?

Responsible gun ownership; no one has a problem with but irresponsible ownership or ownership for reasons of peer acceptance, macho bluster or, as has been seen on here, ego tripping, 'coward versus bravery' bullcrap is just going to result in more carnage through stupidity like the cop who shot his own son in the dark of a hotel room while he was in his autonomous "fight or flight" response mode.

I wonder what that son's mother and perp's wife would have done with that idiot cop's gun if she had the choice after the shooting? You think a proctologist would be involved in it's retrieval?

Last edited by BruSan; 08-06-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
If you are someone for whom a "home invasion" which endangers your family is a fear, I seriously can't see how the plan you envision to protect your family entails having a shootout with criminals.

Of all the ways to protect your family in those situations an armed shootout is the worst way to go. Just ask any expert who advises people on how to protect themselves, none of them suggest an armed shootout is a good way to protect your family.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'll just taze their ass, then set the dogs on them. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
tazers can stop bullets now? If that bugler comes in locked and loaded, you can forget about it.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
If you are someone for whom a "home invasion" which endangers your family is a fear, I seriously can't see how the plan you envision to protect your family entails having a shootout with criminals.
We get it. No need to keep posting this like you did on post number 192 and 175.
//www.city-data.com/forum/25482752-post192.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/25471804-post175.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Of all the ways to protect your family in those situations an armed shootout is the worst way to go. Just ask any expert who advises people on how to protect themselves, none of them suggest an armed shootout is a good way to protect your family.
On post 94 //www.city-data.com/forum/25440845-post94.html I have a video from an expert in self defense covering what to do in a home invasion.
Here's his background - THE BEST DEFENSE - on the Outdoor Channel
Here's his training company - I.C.E. Training | Home
Here's the TV show he's currently on - Trigger Time - by Cross Breed Holsters

For full disclosure, I train with Jason and Jabo that are also on Trigger Time.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
We get it. No need to keep posting this like you did on post number 192 and 175.
//www.city-data.com/forum/25482752-post192.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/25471804-post175.html

On post 94 //www.city-data.com/forum/25440845-post94.html I have a video from an expert in self defense covering what to do in a home invasion.
Here's his background - THE BEST DEFENSE - on the Outdoor Channel
Here's his training company - I.C.E. Training | Home
Here's the TV show he's currently on - Trigger Time - by Cross Breed Holsters

For full disclosure, I train with Jason and Jabo that are also on Trigger Time.

Repeating great thinking is always a great idea.
Lol, are people really this simple? I mean you can always find one person who will support anything. I guess I should have been more clear. The VAST OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of experts will not advocate getting into shootouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies