Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Fast Food be Banned in the United States?
Yes 10 8.77%
No 104 91.23%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And we also need to undo a new generation that has demonized "breads" and other grain-derived foods. That has been the main component of my diet for my entire life. I am not overweight. Why not? And I've been to a doctor only 3 times in the last 25 years. I am healthy. Why? I run 7 miles a day at nearly 50 years old.

Answer: because it has nothing to do with the demonization of this or that type of food. We can play that game forever (actually we have been--over my lifetime just about every food group has been demonized at one time or another) and obesity will still be a problem. Not that I would want to, but I could eat a Big Mac every day and not gain a pound. All I have to do is keep the total calorie count down. It's not a result the type of food eaten, it's a result of the number of calories consumed and lack of physical activity. Our population largely no longer works. Most people do not know what physical work is. They actually pay someone to provide them with something that is supposed to mimic work (but does a poor job of it).

Grains are very healthy foods. You can keep your rabbit food and pot roasts cut from a walking pharmacy.
They haven't just been the main component of your diet, they've been the main component of entire civilizations' diets for thousands of years. They all somehow survived, yet some decades ago people decided grains are bad... and all fats are bad... basically everything is bad and we should just eat Soylent Green

I honestly think that the best diet is simply a balanced one. Eat whole grains, have some real butter and some olive oil, enjoy meat but don't go overboard, and have lots of fruits and veggies. Get some sort of exercise in each day, be it running or jogging or a sport or whatever. That seemed to work just fine back in the day, no need for ridiculous no-carb or no-fat diets. Granted some folks do have body chemistries that make certain diets better for them, but I think the average Joe just needs to cut back on the serving sizes and eat some more fruits & veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
"If they die, they die."

That just leaves more for the rest of us.

Oh, and which Russian character made that quote famous?
Ivan Drago after knocking out (killing) Apollo Creed in Rocky IV.

Greatest movie ever.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
What's the number of fat people in America, unhappy to be fat? They need a parent.

Why does it concern you? I'm not fat! My son is not fat! Therefore, I don't give a s***! And again the government, no matter how much you were indoctrinated from living in the old USSR is NOT supposed to play the role of parent! I realize there are some people who shouldn't be parents! So what do you propose? Sterilization? You call Democrats communist (and I'm no Democrat) but what you're proposing with expanding government and intervening into the private lives of individuals is a bit hypocritical on your part if you're going to rip on Democrats. Don't you think?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why does it concern you? I'm not fat! My son is not fat! Therefore, I don't give a s***!
That's called egoism.

Quote:
And again the government, no matter how much you were indoctrinated from living in the old USSR is NOT supposed to play the role of parent!
Under Communism or Liberalism it's not - that's anarchial systems. But they don't exist, and are even hard to imagine today.

Quote:
You call Democrats communist (and I'm no Democrat) but what you're proposing with expanding government and intervening into the private lives of individuals is a bit hypocritical on your part if you're going to rip on Democrats. Don't you think?
But I'm a leftie - isn't it obvious? It doesn't stop me from criticizing Democrats or Russian Communists for some of their actions.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why do some people think that enforcing their beliefs by law is ok?
If you want to eat fast food, fine.
If you want a gallon of soda, go for it.
If you want to eat healthy, great.

All laws should be based on harm to another. If it doesn't harm anyone else it is no crime.
Absolutely! Victimless crimes are only crimes because the "do gooders" in government say they are.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We think of the street foods in Europe and Asia as "charming" and they soak their foods in grease as well, yet we watch many travel shows that display these little booths all the time. Just watched one showing the street foods of London and wanted to jump on a plane. There is no difference and Europe has fat people as well. .

Correct! And if you factor in demographics, I would wager that there are just as many obese people in Europe as in the USA.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Russian kids almost live online, but they are not even remotely as fat as American.

Neither are kids in India and many other countries.

If you look at obesity by race, you will see that it trumps country. Indians that move to the US don't suddenly get fat.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Didn't realize we had guns to our heads to eat fast food

Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you look at obesity by race, you will see that it trumps country. Indians that move to the US don't suddenly get fat.
Eating habits? I'm sure I wouldn't start chewing something 24/7, if I moved to America.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Eating habits? I'm sure I wouldn't start chewing something 24/7, if I moved to America.

Neither do most Americans. Most of us don't fit the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies