Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider voting for an atheist for president?
Yes 41 70.69%
No 11 18.97%
Not sure 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,991,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What makes you believe these people were Christians- those who murdered? They were not Christians- just declaring you are something does not make it so.
The weak minded believe this..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,868,076 times
Power...is a drug...ultimate power over a nation can't help but create an all knowing idiot that believes they are god like...Atheists might not use the term god..but will if given the opportunity will embrace the substance of the concept and act like gods- It's human nature. Nature in it's essence is cruel and evil. Who will the high ranking all powerful atheist answer too?

What governance will keep such a person in check? It's just not a good idea and very chancy at best. A man or woman who takes ultimate power must in order not to go totally insane..have some humility. I doubt very much without the idea and concept of God as an oppressive force- that mankind could control themselves...and certainly not a person who considers themselves untouchable by common divine law.

Do all atheists consider all life sacred? NO.....Do all Muslims consider all life sacred? NO.....These two earthly forces that we are talking about are capable of destruction - and BOTH disregard the sanctity of life- if they decide that some life is in the way of some sick agenda.. Islam is about submission to the ALL MIGHTY...yet not all submit - and some attempt to destroy others in the name of God....which would be an insult to GOD...No man has the right to remove what God has created...

Certainly atheists talk nice now- seeing they have no power- and believers have held power for over 2000 years and counting...If atheists were granted the power to rule- It could only be granted to them by believers....and that is not about to happen soon.

Long ago I spoke to one of the most powerful lawyers in Canada..we talked about the pre-amble to our bill of rights...."The supreme power of God and the rule of law there under...to para phrase...I asked him why the mention of God was there?

This very wise old man stated..."It is not about whether you believe in God or not that is the issue- the insertion of God into our legal and political system is to force or push people into a state of higher mindedness" In other words it was an equalizer...It made sure that one did not attempt to dominate the other by playing at being a little god...That no single individual could hold complete and total power - and with that power abuse his fellows.

So it's not about some guy in the sky watching over you - or judging you- or punishing you- It is about good behavior...kind of like human children playing in a house hold who understand that the father where ever he may be is the ultimate power...and the kids dare not attempt to take full power over the other kids....It's called fair play- Atheists- Muslims-- Christians - Jews and all the endless religions on earth are welcome to come and play in mutual co-operation- but they are not welcome if they have come to dominate....No one should allow a bully into the home....if you do you are going to destroy the peace and security of the home----------atheists and Islamics are similar- both if given the chance will attempt to bully - I don't like jerks who travel under the banner of religion....or the banner of freeing all from religion- both are the same.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
How is an atheist saying "I AM GOD" any different from a religious person saying "GOD TOLD ME TO"?
Why would you ask a question you know the answer too? They are both the same...that's obvious. Everybody wants to dominate the next person for some strange reason...be it an atheist or a theist.. This all gets down to the dynamics of power and the issue of human self control.

Those who are religious can not seem to control themselves...Atheists have the same flaw. The fact that they even debate these matters show that they have no self control- The human dynamic that always rears up in these regards is - Those who can not control themselves seek desperately to control others.....So get off my back- both of you- atheist and religious fanatic....go take care of your own personal house first- learn how to control yourself- IF you want to have control over your natural and human environ....first step is take control of yourself and shut up...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The weak minded believe this..............
GOD is goodness...we all know that. They should pass a law that separates GOD from religion...When the two are mixed all we get is a mess- that does feed the weak minded- I stand by the idea of God and goodness and what is right- but I will turn my back on things that defy logic and truth..

The founding fathers might have had it right when God bowed out right after creation and stood back to watch and wonder about us...Once in a while a prophet would be sent to tune things up...Jesus Christ for instance was a messenger carrying divine logic....300 years later Mohamed appears....He seemed to be a messenger who stated he was speaking on behalf of God...but time has proven he spoke for himself- Both of these men- in their time were considered atheists by the popular religions of their time.

Church and State are one! Religion is the politics...Look at that geek Saint Paul- He took and twisted Christian doctrine into a political entity...

I will be happy when the world gives up religion and embraces GOD.. Jesus never really had any use for religion...In fact it was state sponsored religion that executed him.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM

272 posts, read 230,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
How can someone be Christian if they read the words of Christ and then do the exact opposite of what he said?
Are you sure? Look at this verse:

Quote:
Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'. "
The above verse has been used to justify slavery in the past.

I've seen people use all kinds of verses in the Bible to justify their actions. So, these people are not real Christians because their interpretation is wrong? So how do you know what the right interpretation is? So if the above interpretation is wrong, then why isn't the one about homosexuals wrong?, etc, etc.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,583,613 times
A president's religion does not matter to me.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

1,403 posts, read 941,740 times
Yes,without a doubt.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,692,795 times
Oops, cursor moved too fast and I pressed No instead of Yes. Of course I would vote for an Atheist. As long as someone is competent, intelligent, hard working, honest, MODERATE and someone I can have a modicum of respect for, I could not care less what their religion or lack of thereof is. I am an Atheist but I would be quite happy to vote for a moderate non fanatical , non bigoted Christian for example.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,306,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
Are you sure? Look at this verse:

The above verse has been used to justify slavery in the past.

I've seen people use all kinds of verses in the Bible to justify their actions. So, these people are not real Christians because their interpretation is wrong? So how do you know what the right interpretation is? So if the above interpretation is wrong, then why isn't the one about homosexuals wrong?, etc, etc.
That isn't the Gospel. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John is considered the Gospel. The Gospel is where Christ spoke.

The reason why this is important is because Christ is the basis of Christianity, and what he says is the final word.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,626,157 times
I'd vote for an Atheist if that wasn't their platform and they didn't attack religion. The reason Atheists are so disliked as a whole is due to how they often treat others for their beliefs. There's clearly nuts and jerks who are religious, but conservatively 80% of Americans are religious to some degree. Atheists have some major PR problems because while representing a small minority of the population, mean Atheists are often represented online in equal numbers to the rude Theists. Look no further than the religion board here at CD for examples.

They often (if not usually) come across as mean spirited, condescending jerks who want to eradicate religion, which is a source of happiness, love and peace for millions of people. When you can't have a discussion without the terms "sky daddy", "fairy tales", or "flying spaghetti monster" working their way into what should be a civil discussion, it makes all Atheists look bad due to these people who go out of their way to be rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies