Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider voting for an atheist for president?
Yes 41 70.69%
No 11 18.97%
Not sure 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,244,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Maybe you should actually consider reading the Gospel, and then you can point to me one area where Jesus says to murder people.
Jesus also said do unto others...
I don't see many "christians" following that one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM

272 posts, read 229,681 times
Quote:
That isn't the Gospel. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John is considered the Gospel. The Gospel is where Christ spoke.

The reason why this is important is because Christ is the basis of Christianity, and what he says is the final word.
You just proved my point. I've been to many churches in my life, and every last one of them reads and preaches about the different verses in the Bible, not just Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. If those are the only ones that matter, then why is the Bible so thick? Is it a history book?

The point is this: the Bible is ambiguous and extremists are able to find a verse or two to justify their actions.

I'm going to leave it here though, because this probably belongs in the Religion forum and not here.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

13,594 posts, read 10,010,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'd vote for an Atheist if that wasn't their platform and they didn't attack religion. The reason Atheists are so disliked as a whole is due to how they often treat others for their beliefs. There's clearly nuts and jerks who are religious, but conservatively 80% of Americans are religious to some degree. Atheists have some major PR problems because while representing a small minority of the population, mean Atheists are often represented online in equal numbers to the rude Theists. Look no further than the religion board here at CD for examples.

They often (if not usually) come across as mean spirited, condescending jerks who want to eradicate religion, which is a source of happiness, love and peace for millions of people. When you can't have a discussion without the terms "sky daddy", "fairy tales", or "flying spaghetti monster" working their way into what should be a civil discussion, it makes all Atheists look bad due to these people who go out of their way to be rude.
I understand what you're saying. But there are no atheists "as a whole". Atheists don't have anything in common, they don't follow a specific set of beliefs, they don't congregate, and they don't follow any written teachings as a collective entity beyond a very few who choose to politicize their opinions and have formed groups for the purpose of doing so. You don't capitalize the word atheist, because atheist is a noun, not a title. It's not an ideology, as much as people keep trying to make it one.

Also, I think that people pull out the disrespect in response to being told that this or that must be done in this or that way because the opinion holder's religion says so. People who believe that tend to be a bit pushy, so people who don't believe it tend to get a bit snarky. Yes, there are some who are rude. In both camps.

One will never know for sure how many, but I do believe a significant amount of people in this country who profess to be religious aren't, they go through the motions because of this ridiculous stigma attached to non believers here. It's easier to nod and keep quiet rather than try and explain that in one's gut one just doesn't agree. Especially public figures in high office. Some people attach all sorts of moral failings to atheists that just aren't there, but there's no use arguing with a non rational stance, you'll never win.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why would you ask a question you know the answer too? They are both the same...that's obvious. Everybody wants to dominate the next person for some strange reason...be it an atheist or a theist.. This all gets down to the dynamics of power and the issue of human self control.

Those who are religious can not seem to control themselves...Atheists have the same flaw. The fact that they even debate these matters show that they have no self control- The human dynamic that always rears up in these regards is - Those who can not control themselves seek desperately to control others.....So get off my back- both of you- atheist and religious fanatic....go take care of your own personal house first- learn how to control yourself- IF you want to have control over your natural and human environ....first step is take control of yourself and shut up...
So then what is the problem of having an atheist president?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Those under GOD do not kill anyone- Those hiding under the dark blanket of religion- do not believe in GOD....and they kill in the name of GOD....Most religious people are atheists....I wonder why the world has not figured this out- If a man screams God is great as he cuts your throat - he is NOT of God....He is a human monster.
"Most religious people are atheists"

Oh, really???

Gee, kinda confused, aren't ya?

Sorry, but you're one of those christians who think no christian ever committed a sin, in direct contradiction to what your Jesus said.

You do NOT get to squirm out of the FACT that christians do bad things by saying, "It wasn't me, Mom, honest! It was the other guy"

Grow up.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should actually consider reading the Gospel,""""

Naw, my list or fiction to read doesn't include that

"""""" and then you can point to me one area where Jesus says to murder people.

Maybe YOU could point to the post where I said he did?????????

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'd vote for an Atheist if that wasn't their platform and they didn't attack religion. The reason Atheists are so disliked as a whole is due to how they often treat others for their beliefs. There's clearly nuts and jerks who are religious, but conservatively 80% of Americans are religious to some degree. Atheists have some major PR problems because while representing a small minority of the population, mean Atheists are often represented online in equal numbers to the rude Theists. Look no further than the religion board here at CD for examples.

They often (if not usually) come across as mean spirited, condescending jerks who want to eradicate religion, which is a source of happiness, love and peace for millions of people. When you can't have a discussion without the terms "sky daddy", "fairy tales", or "flying spaghetti monster" working their way into what should be a civil discussion, it makes all Atheists look bad due to these people who go out of their way to be rude.
I'd vote for a christian if that wasn't their platform and they didn't attack atheists. The reason christians are so disliked as a whole is due to how they often treat others for their beliefs. There's clearly nuts and jerks who are religious, but conservatively 80% of Americans are religious to some degree and they ALL commit sins.

Christians often (if not usually) come across as mean spirited, condescending jerks who want to eradicate anyone who isn't them which is a source of happiness for them.(AS HISTORY PROVES)

When you can't have a discussion without the terms "sky daddy", "fairy tales", or "flying spaghetti monster" working their way into what should be a civil discussion, it might make all Atheists look bad to really stupid people which would be really stupid thing to think, and IF you had a brain you wouldn't think, that a handful of atheists would represent all the atheists who don't bother with CD.

IF a christian can't handle criticism their faith is WEAK. Can't imagine how they's whine if ya showed 'em a cross and some nails...

Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,231,468 times
Yes I would vote for an atheist and anyone who wouldn't vote for someone because he or she is atheist is too influenced by fear and ignorance.

I value a person who believes evidence is an important thing.

I would vote for a Muslim too. I truly do not care what religious beliefs my officials have.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,479,250 times
I would vote for an Atheist over a Muslim any day of the week with no problem or second thought.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,327,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Atheists, Muslims See Most Bias as Presidential Candidates

Interesting to see the dramatic changes over the years.

In 1937, only 33% of Americans would consider voting for a woman for president; today, 95% would.

In 1958, only 38% would vote for a black person; today, 96% would.

In 1978, only 26% would vote for a gay person; today, 68% would.
I sure wanted to vote in your poll but the question was about 175 degrees from what your title said so I just drove on by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies