Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM

91 posts, read 151,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
For some reason, some people don't think those on SS or welfare don't pay taxes.
Ummm, that's because they don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM

108 posts, read 170,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
you're obessed with welfare and public assistance.

There's bigger fish to fry my friend.

And this belongs in Politics forum, anyway.
It's true, I am obsessed over this issue, which, I believe, is tearing our society apart as much as corporate greed on Wall Street. It's a very important fish to fry because it gets to the heart of what citizenship means. Is your government there to coddle you or simply give you a bit of help in hard times?

There's LOTS of interest and agreement in the need to reform our financial sector.

Whereas there's little energy or interest in reforming how we treat long-term poverty other than continuing the bankrupt policies of the old left. And in large cities, like NYC, the old left maintains an iron grip on its perks.

NYC is a great place to start a serious reform of welfare and NYCHA as the economy is more resilient here than elsewhere.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,553,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCastaway View Post
Ummm, that's because they don't?
Is that true? Is that REALLY true? Those whose income rely only on welfare may not pay income taxes, but what about payroll taxes, corporate income tax, and the estate tax? Low income people pay those too. Some keep being general in saying people don't pay taxes, but there's more than one kind of tax.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
Humboldt, as I stated, as soon as you get corporations who make billions in profit to stop demanding (and getting) corporate welfare, then I PROMISE we will go after Grandma's $800 ss check and Reba Lynn's $200 food stamp card.

I'm waiting....

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
There's really no difference between the rich and the poor. they're all
crabs in the same barrel bringing this country down to an extent.

the whole system is corrupted from the top to the bottom, so
get over it and hope you don't wind up in the same situation.

And if you do, don't ask for help. just starve to death. see if they care.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,886,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
It's true, I am obsessed over this issue, which, I believe, is tearing our society apart as much as corporate greed on Wall Street. It's a very important fish to fry because it gets to the heart of what citizenship means. Is your government there to coddle you or simply give you a bit of help in hard times?

There's LOTS of interest and agreement in the need to reform our financial sector.

Whereas there's little energy or interest in reforming how we treat long-term poverty other than continuing the bankrupt policies of the old left. And in large cities, like NYC, the old left maintains an iron grip on its perks.

NYC is a great place to start a serious reform of welfare and NYCHA as the economy is more resilient here than elsewhere.
Your mention of NYCHA is a disingenuous attempt to savage this thread from being sent to where it really belongs –the politics forum -.
There have extensive discussions about NYCHA in this forum, so if you want to discuss that welfare program please feel free to add your comments in one of those threads.

You say corporate greed is as much as a problem as this, but you have already started two threads discussing only public assistance. And judging from that, it seems to me that you're more worried about frying sardines, than whales.
Again, be my guess in doing so, but please there's no need to keep top-posting new threads with the same discussion.

Last edited by likeminas; 08-02-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM

801 posts, read 1,100,614 times
Seems that some people don't want to get into the topic!!!" End of public assistance "will mean the end of NewYork!!!! And maybe the end of USA.. See this is not a politic topic, is a real life discussion, I dont agree with the O.P. but rich likes to live the poors life as well. And people that are welfare they do pay taxes!!!!!! Ask HRA about the 1099Forms !!! Ignorant people that has never been in this process talking only trash!!!! You really starting to disgust me!! Mind your own busines!!! Your MONEY WON'T LAST FOREVER .....!!!!!!!!! and leave everybody busines alone!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM

555 posts, read 1,179,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
Seems that some people don't want to get into the topic!!!" End of public assistance "will mean the end of NewYork!!!! And maybe the end of USA.. See this is not a politic topic, is a real life discussion, I dont agree with the O.P. but rich likes to live the poors life as well. And people that are welfare they do pay taxes!!!!!! Ask HRA about the 1099Forms !!! Ignorant people that has never been in this process talking only trash!!!! You really starting to disgust me!! Mind your own busines!!! Your MONEY WON'T LAST FOREVER .....!!!!!!!!! and leave everybody busines alone!!!!

Uh oh you guys struck a nerve...post locked in

Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM

91 posts, read 151,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
Now there's a well stated argument that's extremely relevant to the debate.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 170,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Your mention of NYCHA is a disingenuous attempt to savage this thread from being sent to where it really belongs –the politics forum -.
There have extensive discussions about NYCHA in this forum, so if you want to discuss that welfare program please feel free to add your comments in one of those threads.

You say corporate greed is as much as a problem as this, but you have already started two threads discussing only public assistance. And judging from that, it seems to me that you're more worried about frying sardines, than whales.
Again, be my guess in doing so, but please there's no need to keep top-posting new threads with the same discussion.
How about if I mention Al Sharpton?

Actually, staying on this venue was not my intention; I'm relatively new and have only thus far posted here.

Regarding corporate welfare, there is obviously no reason why I should give equal time to this as a thread any more than, say, saving the whales, another issue that concerns me!
The issue of public assistance, fraud, long-term reliance on the system is what I happen to writing about now. Sorry you're disappointed by that.

But perhaps this should be moved to the politics forum...

Last edited by humboldt; 08-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: He has a point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies