Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What I'm getting at is that no atheist has topped the levels of charity that SOME religiously motivated people have.
Back in 1963 I was born in a CATHOLIC hospital. One little problem.... there was another pregnant woman, in labor. She already had a husband and 4 little kids at home. The labor was going all wrong. Was the Catholic hospital interested in SAVING THE MOTHES LIFE????

NOOOOO.... they were interested in saving the unborn's life.

What about that husband? what about those little kids that would be left without a mother?

Thankfully, the husband had enough brains to move his wife OUT OF THAT CATHOLIC HOSPITAL.... the unborn baby died, but the mother still lived.

In this smalltown community, gossip got out, and he was no longer welcomed to attend church. (somehow gossip equated it to abortion)

<whatever>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know. Either do you. I have no idea what he does with the money he doesn't give directly to charity but I do know there are lot's of ways to "help" and "do good" besides give your money away....

Then the question again becomes, what do atheists and agnostics do that is comparable to the sacrifices made by religious individuals.

When the world sent help to Haiti following the 2010 earthquake, they found Christian missionaries were already there and had been there helping the poorest of the poor for decades before the quake.

So where have liberal atheists and agnostics who routinely mock Christians for their beliefs been all this time?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Then the question again becomes, what do atheists and agnostics do that is comparable to the sacrifices made by religious individuals.

When the world sent help to Haiti following the 2010 earthquake, they found Christian missionaries were already there and had been there helping the poorest of the poor for decades before the quake.

So where have liberal atheists and agnostics who routinely mock Christians for their beliefs been all this time?
"sacrafice". I see. Is that the measure here?
I'm pretty sure liberals, atheists and agnostics have been right besides the "church folk". Sometimes even in the church.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What I'm getting at is that no atheist has topped the levels of charity that SOME religiously motivated people have.
Ever heard of a man named "Bill Gates?"

He has given way more than you, Mother Theresa, and any other number of religious guys you can probably name all combined. And he is not religious.

Most people who are not religious do not necessarily define themselves as "atheist;" They define themselves as agnostics and deists.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times
and many atheists just don't make the "MEDIA" attention???

We are not a "group", therefore we do our work as INDIVIDUALS. Media likes to focus on GROUPS.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
what would actually inspire an atheist to reach these levels of sacrifice though? financial success or just wanting the best for their fellow humans.

with no God in the picture, where would the enduring sense of altruism come from? From being a nice person.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
what would actually inspire an atheist to reach these levels of sacrifice though?

with no God in the picture, where would the enduring sense of altruism come from?
From having a sense of humanity. God has nothing to do with morality or a sense of duty. The concept of morality and sense of duty predates when your god came on the scene. They existed when people believed in Zeus, Ra, and every other deity.

If you can prove to me that the concept of morality and the sense of duty started the same moment that Christianity started, then maybe, maybe you might have something. But I doubt it.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
"Why can't an atheist top Mother Theresa?"

Besides the fact that atheist don't strive for "sainthood",

Zackie Achmat and Saraswathi Gora, now go away.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times
Hi, ovcatto - have we met before? (Ratskep)

Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
From having a sense of humanity. God has nothing to do with morality or a sense of duty. The concept of morality and sense of duty predates when your god came on the scene. They existed when people believed in Zeus, Ra, and every other deity.
nonsense!

God came into the scene at the creation of the Universe.

but your sense of humanity sounds good in theory, though what happens when you tire of the project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies