Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Did we allow massive amounts of imports from those two countries prior to the "moon landing"?
actually between 1945 and 1965 japan imported more US goods than it exported to the US.

Salem Press

and while the US still maintained trading with taiwan we had an embargo on goods from the PRC ( peoples republic of china ) in 1969.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So by your logic, the gov't is trustworthy, and those questioning the news fed to us, are the dangerous extremists. That means you trust lawyers, media and politicians more than those attempting to verify.
America is perhaps the first nation founded on distrust of government. Checks and balances were included in the Constitution because of the danger of vesting too much power in any one man or one branch of government.
Excessive trust in government breeds attention deficits. People assume they do not need to keep an eye on government and politicians because government is no threat to them — because their government tells them so. Ignorance combined with blind trust produces citizens pliable for practically any purpose the ruler decrees.
When people blindly assume that their leaders are trustworthy, the biggest liars win. To believe their lies almost guarantees submission
The Folly of Blindly Trusting the Government by James Bovard

As for this moon landing, it still hasn't peaked my interest, so I am done with this thread.
There is a huge difference between 'blindly trusting the government' and believing every silly conspiracy theory that comes down the pike.

In fact, I have a great distrust of government, the less the govt does the better! But to take a distrust and actually, a HATRED of the goverment and use that to spin the moon landing into a conspiracy involving thousands of people - that's light years away from using reason and sound judgment.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
There is a huge difference between 'blindly trusting the government' and believing every silly conspiracy theory that comes down the pike.

In fact, I have a great distrust of government, the less the govt does the better! But to take a distrust and actually, a HATRED of the goverment and use that to spin the moon landing into a conspiracy involving thousands of people - that's light years away from using reason and sound judgment.
bingo!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
So by your logic, the gov't is trustworthy, and those questioning the news fed to us, are the dangerous extremists.
No that is by your logic, I never said that. I just pointed out that subsound had a pretty good link once about the mental illness that the conspiracy theorists suffer, I think Mathjack touched on most of it.

Quote:
That means you trust lawyers, media and politicians more than those attempting to verify.
Well since your premise was flawed it doesn't mean anything, but for the record no I don't trust lawyers. My wife is one and she's been known to sneak new clothes past me using plastic dry cleaning bags.

Quote:
As for this moon landing, it still hasn't peaked my interest, so I am done with this thread.
Strange, I'd think you'd appreciate the thread since you were an adult who finally learned there is gravity on the moon.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
That is ridiculous, everyone knows that that missing flag is the one Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D) says the astronauts planted on the surface of Mars.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM

15,087 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Google around and you will find a lot of information it depends just HOW conspiracy involved they are as there is a wide range from speculation over JFK (not crazy) up to the "we didn't land on the moon" types and the truly nuts "chemtrail" types and of course much much crazier.

In some cases it's mental illness etc. causing paranoia and delusions.

I other cases some of them are dissatissfied with life and view it as unfair and see sinister forces as to why their life and the world is jacked up. Basically an excuse.

Others feel empowered by being in on "the truth" and it gives them a sense of superiority over the "sheeple".

I'm sure I'm hacking up some of the explanations, you can google around the web and read better written stuff.
I've got a much more plausible answer .... perhaps those "conspiracy theorists" just find plainly manipulated photos to be worthy of asking the question ... why fake the photos of real missions? Can you offer us a plausible reason for faking photos ... ye of sound mind, and free of mental illness?

What fakes you ask? Well, there are HUNDREDS of examples with major "anomalies" ... many of which would likely be a little too complex for those who aren't suffering from fits of paranoia and delusions of superiority like us ... so, I'll just stick with the easy ones, OKAY?

First, we need points of reference ... so this image shows the relative size of the earth and moon. Notice that the diameter of earth is just slightly less than 4 times that of the moon. That means that it's roughly 4 times as wide and 4 times as tall, visually ... requiring 16 moons .. 4 rows of 4 moons to cover the the surface view of the earth:

Now that we have that frame of reference established ... we have all seen lovely moonlit nights .. but for those who's memory may be a little dodgy ... let's refresh ....

Here we have a normal moon that most of us have likely observed hundreds of times:

Now this next image is that beautiful Harvest Moon ... when the moon appears big in the sky (for comparison to the normal moon view):

Are you with me so far? Good.

Now let's take a peek at some images of the much larger earth from the vantage point of the moon, shall we?

Do you not see a slight problem here? Any guess what I might be referring to? No ... it's not the reflection in the mirrored visor of the spaceman helmut ... and it's not the flag waving in the moon breeze ... it's the freaking tiny size of the earth!!!

Now, here's another great picture of mother earth, pictured just above the lunar landing module ... and, let's remain focused on the earth, and pay no attention to the the hodgepodge LEM that looks to be constructed with parts from Home Depot ... scotch tape, aluminum foil, roofing tar paper, corrugated shelving material, construction paper, and curtain rods, all slapped together for a 5th grade science project:

Now, just for comparison sake .... this next image is of the earth and moon, as taken from the Messenger probe, approximately 114 Million Miles out, which is about 450 times as far away as the moon is from earth (approximately 250,000 miles out at it's furthest point in orbit).

This next image of mother earth is allegedly taken from the command module as it orbits the moon, and just for reference, the added circle shows what the relative size of the earth SHOULD BE:

Now ... before you go blathering on about my tin foil hat ... I don't have one, because nasa apparently used all of the tin foil on the lunar lander .... and don't bother with the lame explanation (I've heard this one already) about how the earth's atmosphere acts like a magnifying glass, making the moon look larger, because I can dig up plenty of pictures of the moon shot from earth orbit that appears roughly the same as it does from the ground. So ... explain to me how anyone with a half a brain can actually think that those tiny little cut and paste images of the earth composited in those moon photos could possibly be real?

The fact is, it can't be real .. and it's so childishly obvious that it is maddening for some of us who actually think! It's just difficult to fathom how it is possible for people to be so damned gullible. Given that virtually everyone has seen the moon at night, hundreds, if not thousands of times, how could you not notice that the pictures of earth allegedly from the moon suggests that the earth is actually smaller that the moon, rather than being 10-12 times as large? I'll tell you why .... because too many of you are trapped in a constant state of intellectual coma.

A legitimate image of the earth shot from the moon would show an earth 10-12 times as large ... at least as large, and actually larger than the "harvest moon" shown above.

And please don't say that is was the camera lens they used, because that is pure nonsense. And by the way ... notice that all of those images, even the earth shot from orbit, show no stars ... but the shot from the Messenger probe shows billions of stars.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And please don't say that is was the camera lens they used, because that is pure nonsense. And by the way ... notice that all of those images, even the earth shot from orbit, show no stars ... but the shot from the Messenger probe shows billions of stars.
1) Your first huge error is that you are viewing an object relative to the size of the horizon and frame of reference.

For example, put a basketball in your yard and look at it. Now pull out a 10x telescope and OMG the basketball just got HUGE!!!!!!!!

Heck your harvest moon pic exaggerates the size because the photo is cropped in. It's like looking at the moon in the sky and then looking at it through a paper towel tube and exclaiming how the moon just got HUGE!

2) Specific to your quote above....you don't understand how when you are in the blackness of deep space you can see lots of stars but when you are in a brightly lit area you can't see any?

Example: Go outside at noon and look for stars. Go outside at midnight and you see stars. I hope this helps.

If this didn't help then go way out into the country and look at stars and then go to NY city and see how many stars you can spot.

3) You are also suffering from "moon illusion" in showing the moon low on the horizon. Please read this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-06-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
How can it fall over, or be blown over, when there is no gravity?
Forgive me if that's a dumb question, I don't know anything about this hoax, because I'm not much interested in space exploration, but as you know, I am very interested in conspiracies.
Well the Moon has 1/10th the Gravity of Earth and blast from LEM taking off blew it over so if you want to debunk a Conspiracy involving Space Exploration you should learn about it first.

I mean you should learn about Space Exploration since you will then be able to argue your point and use some info based in facts.

well why did you bring up a topic and when you Refuse to learn about it and it is something that you should atleast learn about since it is important.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
actually between 1945 and 1965 japan imported more US goods than it exported to the US.

Salem Press

and while the US still maintained trading with taiwan we had an embargo on goods from the PRC ( peoples republic of china ) in 1969.
And what was the status of both countries' balance of trade post 1969?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
I think we went to the moon. But, I find it amazing we went there in 1969, when we barely even had computers, but can't go there today, nearly half a century later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies