Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,096,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Constitution doesn't say anything specifically about marriage, but the Supreme Court cited the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause in the Loving vs. Virginia case. I'm sure the same arguments will be made to strike down laws against same-sex marriage.

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And the supreme court over stepped there boundaries. Again, where does the constitution say anything about marriage. The government was never ment to be the overseers of the institution of marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,042,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
And the supreme court over stepped there boundaries. Again, where does the constitution say anything about marriage. The government was never ment to be the overseers of the institution of marriage.
It doesn't. But when our governments see fit to craft civil marriage contracts within the law, then said laws must abide by the Constitution. The Supreme Court fulfilled it's constitutional mandate when it decided Loving v. Virginia.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,775,145 times
Oleg, I am glad I don't live in Canada, where gay marriage is legal, wheere abortion is encouraged and religion is discouraged. A lot of liberals in America want us to become more like Canada and Europe, but in the end we are one nation UNDER GOD. That will not change.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,762,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oleg, I am glad I don't live in Canada, where gay marriage is legal, wheere abortion is encouraged and religion is discouraged. A lot of liberals in America want us to become more like Canada and Europe, but in the end we are one nation UNDER GOD. That will not change.
Been here all my life- The more I age and understand the system here in Canada - the more I feel like an alien from another world- the more I feel imprisoned...Yes- there is only one authority I answer too...and you have to be pretty brave in Canada to say this - It is GOD...yes abortion is not just suggested but it is encouraged...and Yes- when I deal with authority or bureaucrats - I must stay silent about my belief...or they will persecute and systematically wear you down and destroy you....They are starting to get wise to me as of late- But I will never confess my faith to them.

Oddly my grandfather went through the same thing- The communists harassed him for six years then finally shot him...Then they had a trial and convicted him..He refused to bow to the atheists and to communism- He died a martyr - It seems genetically speaking - I have been on the run for a thousand year--some times I feel like the last Christian.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
They -- supporters of same-sex marriage -- are getting it on the ballot.

Supporters of same-sex marriage supported the laws enacting same-sex marriage that were passed in Maryland and Washington earlier this year, knowing full well that opponents would easily get the small number of signatures required (around 100k) in each state of 6+ million people) to put the new law to a vote this November.........................................

As far as MD goes that statement is incorrect. The pro-Marriage Equality Act proponents were genuinely surprised that it caused a referendum drive and that the petitioners were able to get as many signatures as they did (3 times the number, over 150000 and still counting).

It's interesting to note that while Republicans and the Black churches worked together on the referendum to repeal the MD Dream Act that Republicans played an almost non-existent role in the gay marrige referendum. They were disinvited by the Black churches, which told the Party they'd handle it.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,266,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The whole debate about whether gays should or should not be able to get married shouldn't be placed in the hands of people to vote. Before my Christian posters chew me out for making this claim, I agree with the biblical definition of marriage, which is between a man and a woman. But with that said, the United States of America, as many Christians want to blindly believe is not a Christian country. Nor is it a country where any one's religious opinions should be the law of the land when it violates a person's civil rights. The fact that gay people can't get married is a violation if their civil rights, and propositions should not be placed on ballots for people to vote for or against it when eventually people for or against it challenge that same proposition. Eventually the US Supreme Court will rule on gay marriage anyway, and no matter what I or anyone thinks about it, it will become the law of the land---ending this whole debate at least on the ballot.
I appreciate your open mindedness in the face of an issue that may challenge your values (no sarcasm).

Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,466,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
They -- supporters of same-sex marriage -- are getting it on the ballot.

Supporters of same-sex marriage supported the laws enacting same-sex marriage that were passed in Maryland and Washington earlier this year, knowing full well that opponents would easily get the small number of signatures required (around 100k) in each state of 6+ million people) to put the new law to a vote this November.

In Maine, supporters of same-sex marriage have gotten the question "Should same-sex marriage be legalized?" on this November's ballot.

In Ohio, supporters of same-sex marriage have gotten enough signatures to put the same affirmative question on the 2013 ballot.

You're cluelessly claiming "If X was true then Y would be happening!" ... and you're ignorant of the fact that Y is indeed happening!

KInda blows away the premesis of the whole thread then.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 AM

36,829 posts, read 18,729,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why do people continue to make the claim that marriage is a civil right when it is NOT one?

also marriage is regulated at the state level, and thus it is up to the states to decide if gay marriage should be legal or not. and to that end, the citizenry of the state can usually get enough signatures to put the issue on a public ballot and let the people decide if they want gay marriage or not.
Remember "...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,186,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The whole debate about whether gays should or should not be able to get married shouldn't be placed in the hands of people to vote. Before my Christian posters chew me out for making this claim, I agree with the biblical definition of marriage, which is between a man and a woman. But with that said, the United States of America, as many Christians want to blindly believe is not a Christian country. Nor is it a country where any one's religious opinions should be the law of the land when it violates a person's civil rights. The fact that gay people can't get married is a violation if their civil rights, and propositions should not be placed on ballots for people to vote for or against it when eventually people for or against it challenge that same proposition. Eventually the US Supreme Court will rule on gay marriage anyway, and no matter what I or anyone thinks about it, it will become the law of the land---ending this whole debate at least on the ballot.
Point me to the place in our law where marriage between two people of the same sex is a "civil right?"

No one has an issue with two people of the same sex living together, or with "civil union's." But what they want is for us to accept it as "marriage."

As far as your statement about America as a "Christian nation" goes, courts in the past have said it is, and for many years so-called "blue laws" were upheld on that basis. But apart from legal decisions, we are still by-and-large a "Christian nation," as the majority religion in America is Christian.

The basis of our legal system comes from Biblical law as well, and the principles of self government are from the Bible.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,186,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why do people continue to make the claim that marriage is a civil right when it is NOT one?

also marriage is regulated at the state level, and thus it is up to the states to decide if gay marriage should be legal or not. and to that end, the citizenry of the state can usually get enough signatures to put the issue on a public ballot and let the people decide if they want gay marriage or not.
It should also be pointed out that in almost every case where it has been made a ballot issue, it has been rejected by the voters. It has been liberal judges that have then overturned the clear will of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies