Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

All immigrants have surpassed the other two groups -- the American Indians and the group whose ancestors were enslaved because the freedom was denied them. Immigrants come here and can forget their pasts -- they may have been like the Patels who had a lot of wealth they had to leave behind, or they might be some poor Irish potato farmer -- but America is a fresh start, a land of endless opportunities and dreams.

Those in the remote reservations and the ghettos don't feel the hope or the ability to start fresh here. Maybe as a people, their dreams got crushed and some are having trouble finding that same spirit all the immigrant groups have.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But not their parents and grandparents.

Most immigrants didn't have to live in the inner cities in cities like New Orleans or Detroit. They also don't have to grow up on remote reservations.

In fact -- there are really three groups in the USA. The group that was already here -- American Indians, and the group brought over as slaves, and the immigrant groups from various places who always lived as free men.

The two groups that have it the worst are the American Indians and the slaves and their descendents. Maybe being an immigrant -- white or black or brown or whatever is what gives one the advantage?
Where are you getting this fantasy that immigrants are flying over here first class, being set up in luxury hotels and being given cushy jobs with benefits as soon as the jet lag has disappeared?

Bizarre.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Asians aren't told that they can't wear their hair in afros,that its unacceptable to have nappy hair,so the problem with most employers I believe its is the "physical look" of blacks. Its not just clothing,attitude,etc. Come on and tell the whole story.
I know black men with Mba's who can't get hired or have a tough time because they have dreadlocks in their hair.
Did you also know that dark skinned blacks have higher employment rates than light skinned blacks?
I can't get hired because I have dreadlocks.

If only there was an obvious solution to this problem of mine...

Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Where are you getting this fantasy that immigrants are flying over here first class, being set up in luxury hotels and being given cushy jobs with benefits as soon as the jet lag has disappeared?

Bizarre.
Well my immigrant ancestors came over on ships and they didn't have motels back in those days, nor did they have a 40 hour work week with overtime pay and all that -- so no -- not all immigrants had it very easy coming or after they got here.

Most immigrants from the other side of the world today do come on airplanes. I doubt really any come over on ships anymore. It might take a few hours to arrive here but it's not like on those big ships in the 1700s and 1800s that took days. And certainly not like the slave ships where many even died.

And yes once they get here, we have all kinds of motels, hotels, apartments, dorm rooms for the immigrants. Rarely do you really see them camping out in the streets or trying to get a log house put up before winter sets in. Today's immigrants come to an already built and modern and comfortable country.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
I forgot to mention this,and this is big.
No one has touched on it.

Most Asians aren't Christian. I don't really know if that has anything to do with it,but I suppose it does play a big role. The belief,or lack there of ,an afterlife means that one is going to make the most of this life,as opposed to waiting for good things in an afterlife.
I would go so far and say most are atheist.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I can't get hired because I have dreadlocks.

If only there was an obvious solution to this problem of mine...
Well,what is the solution?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,512,536 times
Quote:

Most Asians aren't Christian. I don't really know if that has anything to do with it,but I suppose it does play a big role. The belief,or lack there of ,an afterlife means that one is going to make the most of this life,as opposed to waiting for good things in an afterlife.
Not entirely true! Most Filipinos are christian, with most of them being catholic. There are also some Muslims, especially in the Southern part of the Philippines. There are a ton of Muslims in Indonesia. Buddhism (I really don't considerate it to be a religion) is practiced in several Asian countries. Also, Asian-Americans do go to church, but I believe as a whole, their numbers are lower than other Americans.

Last edited by kaimuki; 08-04-2012 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Well a lot of them are Hindus and Buddhists who not only believe in an after-life, they think they will come back over and over and that a difficult life means it was your turn to do a difficult life so you should just accept it. Like maybe this time you get to be a rabbit but next time you get to be a coyote, and if you were bad in an earlier life, you might have to pay for your crimes with this one.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If Asians behaved the way the chronically poor blacks behaved, they would be losers too. It's not about skin colour, it's about morals and a quality work ethic. And as long as adult blacks are bitter about their slave history, they are going to pass on that same bitterness to their children. And it's that entitlement attitude where blacks feel that reparations are owed to them by whites that makes blacks want to take advantage of every government handout and slack at work in some misguided effort to get back at "the man". Well while they are scrounging for every freebie crumb that they can find, everyone else is passing them by in terms of real academic achievement and career tracks. Their need for immediate gratification costs them having significant long term goals. They would eat a donut right away instead of owning their own bakery in a decade or two.

Anyway, right now, the chronically poor in the black community are their own worst enemy. It's time they broke the cycle of feeling that whitey still owes them because of the slavery. Move on, and only look forward. And the men folk need to start marrying the mothers of their children. And the black women have to stop having children before they are married to their man. Clearly children are NOT magic relationship glue. Just look around at all the other black baby mommas.

GANGLAND: ASIAN BOYZ ( A B Z ) A KILLER'S REVENGE 04 - YouTube

ASIAN GANGS A GROWING CONCERN IN LAS VEGAS - YouTube

Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Chinese Visitors Alarmed by Homeless in Chinatown | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

"They walk around Chinatown, there's human feces on the sidewalk, urine and real smelly and someone passing by they're holding their nose and start walking away," said Kalihi-Palama neighborhood board member Roland Louie. "I'm afraid that they come once they might not come again. And when they go back to China, they might say don't go Hawaii it's bad smelling."

Louie has heard directly from Chinese visitors.

"In China we have homeless but not as bad as over here so make me feel very shame."
So they ran into winos in San Fran. Big deal. Have you ever been to China? The people in the countryside live with pigs. They eat larva and insects. Their eyes burn from the polluted air. The internet is censored. Electricity is rationed. They can't even move from one village to another without permission from the government.

I refuse to accept criticism from Communist slaves who murder dissenters, destroy Buddhist temples, and are itching for war with any country which dares to question their greed and aggression.

Chinese-Americans become doctors and professors. The Chinese play ping-pong and harvest organs for profit. Ever wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.