Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree with you that recent African immigrants tend to be extremely hard workers. My bf grew up in Naples, FL and he told me that down there, African immigrants, particularly the Haitian Americans get greatly offended when anyone tries to consider them in the same group as the African Americans descended from slaves.
Just an FYI, Haitians are also the descendents of slaves and are not one in the same as "African" immigrants (from the various African countries) who are not the descendents of slaves. These are all distinct cultures. Its the same as the Japanese not wanting to be associated with the Chinese or the Koreans or Southeast Asians because each believes that their culture is superior to the other. (shrug)

Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The number one problem in the African-American community is out-of-wedlock children and homes where a woman must raise two or three kids while trying to hold down one or more jobs. This is an increasing problem in white communities too. Pure irresponsibility all around.
Quote:

The number two problem, unique to African-Americans as far as I can tell, is the extremely hostile attitude toward those within the community who "talk white" or do other "white" things such as take AP high school classes and other so-called nerdy pursuits.

The anti-geek bullying occurs in all ethnic groups but I've witnessed a particularly intense form of it in the AA community. (Look at how Gabby Douglas was treated just because of her hair!!)

Whitlock: The root of Gabby's hair critics
the out of weblock children problem comes from certain african american males not willing to sacrifice for someone other than themselves when they are unemployed or otherwise underemployed. every problem that a african american has can be seen in every other racial group , but on a lower level of course.

asian are the only racial group that tend not to bully theirs academic achievers , my 14 years old aa daugther is in ap classes at a local high school as a high school freshman.

aa that bully other aa because of theirs ability to speak proper english are cop outs - you can speak proper english and street lingo and two foreign languages for all i care , and still be just as pro- black.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Poor Asians come here all the time, even illegals. As a matter of fact, Chinatown is home to recent immigrants while others have left for mainstream areas long ago.
Yes but we pretend they don't exist since they don't fit the stereotype.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Please help me understand...seriously.

So, due to the fact that a black couple in 1978 were unfairly denied a home loan...34 years later a guy decides to carjack someone or rob a liquor store or drop out of high school?

I don't see the connection.

Plus how do you explain people like Clarence Thomas and Condi Rice?

They had the same disadvantages of other blacks yet they turned their backs on self-pity and rose to the top.
I come from a family of stubborn people. Stubbornness can help you overcome quite a bit of adversity. But let me share my experiences growing up in the south (partially). I am in my early 30s, so this didn't happen long ago (I am black by the way).

When my family moved from CA to the south, my parents did what all parents do: enroll their kids in school. I was in the "honors" program in my school in CA, and had good grades, so it is reasonable to expect that I would be placed in the same level of classes in a new school district.

When I got my schedule, starting middle school, they didn't honor the request for honors classes. My parents called up the school administration. They responded: "we need more information to put your daughter in honors classes. You need to submit some IQ tests, and we also need her to take the standardizes tests for our state, so she'll be eligible for those classes the following next year...." The administration also accused my parents of forging my test scores. Really?!?!?!

Like I mentioned, I come from a stubborn family, so my parents ended up going up the chain to the district level, and politely inquired about why the additional documentation was required. They actually had to accuse the school of racism before my class enrollment changed.

After about a week, I was in the proper classed. The area I moved to didn't have many newcomers in general, so I was one of only a handful of "newbies" that year. None of the other kids (who were white) had issues enrolling in the proper classes.

Now of course for some of you, you might think my parents were being overly sensitive. But there was quite a bit of institutionalized racism in the town. On the far side of my middle school there was a dirt road that when through a poor black community. All of the surrounding roads were paved. This street was a short cut to the school, as well as a neighboring city and it was very well traveled. It was also the main route that the affluent "whites" used in order to get to our school.

There was a country club community on the other side of the road, and it was in a different county. Most of the residents of the neighboring county (the line was about 1.5 miles from that dirt road) were black, and the income level of the county was pretty low. The schools didn't perform as well as the ones in my county (which was more middle class). The people who lived in the country club community had a special exemption, so they could attend the schools in my county. But this exemption only applied to this single country club neighborhood, and no other parts of the city.

While I was in the school, there were about 3 or 4 students from that neighborhood who attended the school. And the county never prioritized paving the road. The road frequently flooded in the rain, and was a route that school buses took to get to my school. Accidents were frequent because there was no traffic light at the end of the road. The community off this road always complained about the conditions, and nothing was ever done about it. In fact it took 15 years, that I can account for before the road got paved. Once they added another school on the site.

Now you would probably think that the reason the road wasn't paved was because of a low population or something. But in reality, around 200 people lived in that community, and this was a really busy road with vehicle and school bus traffic. There were frequently traffic jams on the road.

I lived on the other side of town, and we had less people (it was mostly white) but all of our dirt roads were paved over pretty quickly. Even when only a dozen people were living on the road......
When they finally got around to paving it, it opened as a 4 lane road with a couple of traffic lights.

I could fill a book with all of the subtle forms of racism I encountered growing up. And keep in mind, I am pretty young. I can imagine it is much worse if you come from a different background than I did.

I know I have had a ton of advantages in life, my parents went to college. And my granddad did as well -- he was an entrepreneur. But not everyone has that privilege. Most of the people from my granddad's community are still living in poverty. The entire town is poor, there are no jobs there. Same for my moms community. The people who didn't leave are stuck in poverty with limited to no opportunity. Couple this with the fact that institutional racism impacts your opportunities, it is pretty hard to get ahead.

We are currently in a "knowledge-based" economy. Most jobs are determined by who you know, and the gates to get in the door are having a college degree. If you don't have role models, or family members who have paved the way, how are you supposed to even get in the door to college. Our educational system makes it difficult for kids who are coming from a poor school district to even think about going to college. The schools don't even have the minimum requirements classes in order to even apply to college. Combine this with the fact that our schools have a tracking system. If you aren't in the college bound classed by 6tth grade, it is pretty much impossible to make up time once you get to high school.

A lot of people are talking about single parenthood causing problems. If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you'll find the single motherhood is primarily a class issue. People that are middle class and up do not have single parents. In fact the rates of single motherhood are the same across all ethnic groups. This tells me we have an opportunity problem, and not a race problem.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Just an FYI, Haitians are also the descendents of slaves
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
and are not one in the same as "African" immigrants (from the various African countries) who are not the descendents of slaves. These are all distinct cultures. Its the same as the Japanese not wanting to be associated with the Chinese or the Koreans or Southeast Asians because each believes that their culture is superior to the other. (shrug)

1 + rep point for giving out needed info for those that want to hear the unadulterated truth....

Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I have no need to read this entire thread but I do think it is always funny how it always comes down to insulting black people in general.

Now everyone has been persecuted in the history of human civilization, but we are talking specifically about the US.
Yes, Asians have been straight sh*tted on, but not like black folk. I think it is funny how people try to pass the stupid idea that being cheap labor is somehow worse than slavery. But, lets not have facts cloud our opinions, lol.

Also, people forget to mention the fact that most of the immigrants screened to legally enter this country are basically the cream of the crop. I mean as much as people on C-D like to bash black folk, they never mention that African Immigrants outperform Asian ones in the US. Yep. You will hardly see mass legal immigration from Africa, Asia, or Europe where we take in their dregs of society. I mean if China and India started sending their criminal and uneducated masses here, opinions would change like a heartbeat. Usually when you send over your best and brightest, views will get distorted.
This bears repeating.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Yeah, no need to read what has been posted before blasting out blanket statements.
I read far enough into this thread to see the tripe you have posted. I only needed to read 10 pages in to see where this would end. I only needed to read to the 2nd page to see what this thread was really about.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
This is idiocy that how some of you have turned this into an Asian Vs Black thread.

I'm not sure how anyone can quantify who was on the recieving end of a raw deal, but if we must, now im not an African history expert but i dont know anyone of them that was on a recieving end of 2 Atomic bombs, Carpet bombed, 400 yrs colonial rule (a lot happens in a decade, imagine 400) the list goes on.

Im not saying one should be looked on favorable than the other, all im trying to say, is that we in our history accomplised much and have suffered greatly too. Will you know carry the legacy of the suffering our ancestors recieved only to turn on other minorities... Thats what i see here.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Please help me understand...seriously.

So, due to the fact that a black couple in 1978 were unfairly denied a home loan...34 years later a guy decides to carjack someone or rob a liquor store or drop out of high school?

I don't see the connection.

Plus how do you explain people like Clarence Thomas and Condi Rice?

They had the same disadvantages of other blacks yet they turned their backs on self-pity and rose to the top.
While immigrants turned their backs on their fellow countrymen and their country and hightailed it out of there to go come to the wealthiest nation on earth -- (or at least what was the wealthiest nation on earth up until recently). What percent of any Asian nation are over here in the USA now? 1%? 2%? And they aren't the percent who never have $2.00 to their name. Sure -- we tend to get the go-getters -- ever hear of other nations accusing the USA of causing a "brain-drain", our more materialist life and easy money attracts those who can come and get it.

If the reverse were true and life was not so good in the USA, and only 1 or 2% of American groups could leave for the better life in the most wealthy country, it's not going to be the lowest class of those groups.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
They're highly educated and have a good work ethic. Plus, there are only 15,000,000 of them in the U.S. If many of them are successful, then it shows in their relatively small population. In contrast, there are 42,000,000 blacks, 50,000,000 Latinos, and a whopping 200,000,000 non-Hispanic whites. Unemployment among Caucasians is only slightly higher than that of Asians. There's not much of a disparity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies