Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread was about Asian people , why are people dragging black people down to make their points?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I thought this thread was about Asian people , why are people dragging black people down to make their points?
Someone mentioned blacks in a post, another poster didn't like that, they argue, then other people join in. This is typical human behavior.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
As I mentioned above, that is usually the very point of these "Asian success" threads, or any thread that purports to extol the virtues of a given immigrant group. The premise of these threads is almost always based on an unstated presumption of cultural, moral, and intellectual inferiority endemic to the black American population. As you can see, it doesn't take long for this presumption to be made clear. Of course, it is easy to maintain the notion of inherent black inferiority when one (mistakenly) ignores the unique legacy of the American black struggle and pretends that the history of blacks in this country was in any way representative of the typical immigrant experience.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I come from a family of stubborn people. Stubbornness can help you overcome quite a bit of adversity. But let me share my experiences growing up in the south (partially). I am in my early 30s, so this didn't happen long ago (I am black by the way).

When my family moved from CA to the south, my parents did what all parents do: enroll their kids in school. I was in the "honors" program in my school in CA, and had good grades, so it is reasonable to expect that I would be placed in the same level of classes in a new school district.

When I got my schedule, starting middle school, they didn't honor the request for honors classes. My parents called up the school administration. They responded: "we need more information to put your daughter in honors classes. You need to submit some IQ tests, and we also need her to take the standardizes tests for our state, so she'll be eligible for those classes the following next year...." The administration also accused my parents of forging my test scores. Really?!?!?!

Like I mentioned, I come from a stubborn family, so my parents ended up going up the chain to the district level, and politely inquired about why the additional documentation was required. They actually had to accuse the school of racism before my class enrollment changed.

After about a week, I was in the proper classed. The area I moved to didn't have many newcomers in general, so I was one of only a handful of "newbies" that year. None of the other kids (who were white) had issues enrolling in the proper classes.

Now of course for some of you, you might think my parents were being overly sensitive. But there was quite a bit of institutionalized racism in the town. On the far side of my middle school there was a dirt road that when through a poor black community. All of the surrounding roads were paved. This street was a short cut to the school, as well as a neighboring city and it was very well traveled. It was also the main route that the affluent "whites" used in order to get to our school.

There was a country club community on the other side of the road, and it was in a different county. Most of the residents of the neighboring county (the line was about 1.5 miles from that dirt road) were black, and the income level of the county was pretty low. The schools didn't perform as well as the ones in my county (which was more middle class). The people who lived in the country club community had a special exemption, so they could attend the schools in my county. But this exemption only applied to this single country club neighborhood, and no other parts of the city.

While I was in the school, there were about 3 or 4 students from that neighborhood who attended the school. And the county never prioritized paving the road. The road frequently flooded in the rain, and was a route that school buses took to get to my school. Accidents were frequent because there was no traffic light at the end of the road. The community off this road always complained about the conditions, and nothing was ever done about it. In fact it took 15 years, that I can account for before the road got paved. Once they added another school on the site.

Now you would probably think that the reason the road wasn't paved was because of a low population or something. But in reality, around 200 people lived in that community, and this was a really busy road with vehicle and school bus traffic. There were frequently traffic jams on the road.

I lived on the other side of town, and we had less people (it was mostly white) but all of our dirt roads were paved over pretty quickly. Even when only a dozen people were living on the road......
When they finally got around to paving it, it opened as a 4 lane road with a couple of traffic lights.

I could fill a book with all of the subtle forms of racism I encountered growing up. And keep in mind, I am pretty young. I can imagine it is much worse if you come from a different background than I did.

I know I have had a ton of advantages in life, my parents went to college. And my granddad did as well -- he was an entrepreneur. But not everyone has that privilege. Most of the people from my granddad's community are still living in poverty. The entire town is poor, there are no jobs there. Same for my moms community. The people who didn't leave are stuck in poverty with limited to no opportunity. Couple this with the fact that institutional racism impacts your opportunities, it is pretty hard to get ahead.

We are currently in a "knowledge-based" economy. Most jobs are determined by who you know, and the gates to get in the door are having a college degree. If you don't have role models, or family members who have paved the way, how are you supposed to even get in the door to college. Our educational system makes it difficult for kids who are coming from a poor school district to even think about going to college. The schools don't even have the minimum requirements classes in order to even apply to college. Combine this with the fact that our schools have a tracking system. If you aren't in the college bound classed by 6tth grade, it is pretty much impossible to make up time once you get to high school.

A lot of people are talking about single parenthood causing problems. If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you'll find the single motherhood is primarily a class issue. People that are middle class and up do not have single parents. In fact the rates of single motherhood are the same across all ethnic groups. This tells me we have an opportunity problem, and not a race problem.

Very well put There are people that always compare ethnic groups to blacks as being the bottom and than accuse them of "playing the race card" whenever something that is racial happens. If you never been affected by racism it is real easy to dismiss it, this even pertains to many blacks who have done well.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The anti-geek bullying occurs in all ethnic groups but I've witnessed a particularly intense form of it in the AA community. (Look at how Gabby Douglas was treated just because of her hair!!)

Whitlock: The root of Gabby's hair critics
Gabby's mom speaks about the hair ridicolousness in this interview:

"It’s really been African American women that have come out and attacked her. They don’t know about gymnastics.

I’m not going to make her cut her hair just to please someone else."

As I've stated before, no matter how many laws are passed or how much money is spent, its the culture and value system that determines whether one will be a drag on civilization or a diamond. Rewarding or rationalizing failure and degeneracy will be the death of American society.

Oh and not all immigrants come to America with a silver spoon in their mouth, nor are they given a free ride in life.

"Shuang Wen Academy is a small, public elementary school in Chinatown featuring a rigorous dual-language program in English and Chinese.

If you look at the school's track record, the reason families of all races are clamoring to get into this school becomes clear.

Out of 1,200 New York City public schools, Shuang Wen ranked number three in math. And almost 97 percent of the students passed the reading test, compared to the city- wide average of only 33 percent.

CHOU: To us it's really not something we are -- in American culture, we say we are very proud of. But in Chinese culture, we say it's nothing. We should have done this.

LOTHIAN: High expectations are typically the norm for Asian American children. But when you consider the demographics of the community served by the school, the accomplishments stand out even more.

CHOU: We are Title I school with 70 percent population under poverty level. The majority are labor workers -- a lot of new immigrants. They're working at the restaurant or garment factories."

Last edited by kovert; 08-09-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Orientals are logical thinkers who make wise decisions when it comes to finding the right field of work and moving to where the job market is. They do not rack up worthless art degrees and live in hip/cultural neighborhoods where there are no good jobs like caucasians do.

What?

Apparently you have never been to San Francisco.

Nice way to typecast a numerically huge and ethnically diverse group of people.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
Blacks have brainwashed by folks such as Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson that they are victims and that it's not their fault that they're in their current station in life.

Anybody can be whatever he or she wants to be; all they need is ambition and self-motivation. 95% of the Asians with who i attnded both Catholic & public schools here in LA between 1958 and 1970 went on to top-notch schools such as UCLA, Stanford & other academic powerhouses.

Their role models (whomever they are) NEVER preached victimhood, unlike Jackson, Sharpton & our current President.

Furthermore, entities which allegedly represent the African-Americans, starting with the NAACP, most definitely do not; look no farther than the NAACP's ludicrous recent decision to side with the NYC teachers unions in challenging Mayor Bloomberg's attempts to close 20+ horrible schools.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Blacks have brainwashed by folks such as Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson that they are victims and that it's not their fault that they're in their current station in life.

Anybody can be whatever he or she wants to be; all they need is ambition and self-motivation. 95% of the Asians with who i attnded both Catholic & public schools here in LA between 1958 and 1970 went on to top-notch schools such as UCLA, Stanford & other academic powerhouses.

Their role models (whomever they are) NEVER preached victimhood, unlike Jackson, Sharpton & our current President.

Furthermore, entities which allegedly represent the African-Americans, starting with the NAACP, most definitely do not; look no farther than the NAACP's ludicrous recent decision to side with the NYC teachers unions in challenging Mayor Bloomberg's attempts to close 20+ horrible schools.
So what?

At least 95% of my high school classmates and I (mixed race student body but majority Black) went on to 4 year colleges/universities as well as on to graduate programs.

So please explain. How are we "brainwashed"?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 AM

74 posts, read 122,507 times
Because a lot of Chinamen are pretentious, Ivy League-educated snobs.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So what?

At least 95% of my high school classmates and I (mixed race student body but majority Black) went on to 4 year colleges/universities as well as on to graduate programs.

So please explain. How are we "brainwashed"?
It is always interesting when someone who "knows" blacks by either vague association or by some other white person makes wide assumptions about something that they know very little about. Sadly, you also have blacks who have grown up around whites and have no clue about the struggles of the those before them and have little or no contact with everyday blacks always cosigns with them on the dumbest things. These are the "brainwashed" blacks that he must be talking about.

I notice that blacks are the only group of people that are never allowed to protest anything wrong done to them without being called "victims" Rev Jackson and Sharpton merely point out injustices and the people mobilize plain and simple. To prove my point when was the last time that there was anyone that made an anti-semetic remark on television or radio and was not punished swiftly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies