Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Orientals are logical thinkers who make wise decisions when it comes to finding the right field of work and moving to where the job market is. They do not rack up worthless art degrees and live in hip/cultural neighborhoods where there are no good jobs like caucasians do.
You do realize that Asians include more than just Orientals? It also include many caucasians.

Additionally, it's not the study of art, itself, that is worthless. It's the programs that are worthless. If you go to some low quality college in the midwest, you're likely attending a worthless program.

Asians, for the most part, flock to decent universities like MIT, JHU, Penn, etc. There is a direct correlation between attending decent programs and success.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Work ethic.

I teach high school and I'd gladly take 40 Asian American students in a class over 20 American students. Without fail the Asian students I have taught treat education like their job and work to learn while I have to try and force the average generic American student to learn because they treat school like something they must endure.
I would have to agree with this. It's largely due to competency of parents. These parents teach their children how to be competent and have good work ethic. This is something that is prevalent in Asian households and not up to par in other households. It's also common in African immigrant households.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,098,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do realize that Asians include more than just Orientals? It also include many caucasians.

Additionally, it's not the study of art, itself, that is worthless. It's the programs that are worthless. If you go to some low quality college in the midwest, you're likely attending a worthless program.

Asians, for the most part, flock to decent universities like MIT, JHU, Penn, etc. There is a direct correlation between attending decent programs and success.
Every single art or art history major I've known in my life now work in jobs that have nothing to do with art and they all hate their jobs.

I never understood this liberal movement of telling kids to earn useless degrees because they feel like it. Go ahead and waste your parents' money earning an art history degree because chances are you'll be working in a call center for the rest of your life.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Every single art or art history major I've known in my life now work in jobs that have nothing to do with art and they all hate their jobs.

I never understood this liberal movement of telling kids to earn useless degrees because they feel like it. Go ahead and waste your parents' money earning an art history degree because chances are you'll be working in a call center for the rest of your life.
I wasn't talking specifically about art history and it's not clear whether the other poster was talking about fine arts or liberal arts (which is includes fine arts).

Did those art and art history majors go through decent programs? I guess it's very telling when you suggest wasting your parents' money as you typically don't have to pay much for college unless you go to some low quality underfunded school... at which point, the bigger concern is the time you are wasting... not the money.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking specifically about art history and it's not clear whether the other poster was talking about fine arts or liberal arts (which is includes fine arts).

Did those art and art history majors go through decent programs? I guess it's very telling when you suggest wasting your parents' money as you typically don't have to pay much for college unless you go to some low quality underfunded school... at which point, the bigger concern is the time you are wasting... not the money.
There are plenty of useless degrees and programs out there. Take your pick. Art is just one.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of useless degrees and programs out there. Take your pick. Art is just one.
Again, by "art" do you mean fine arts or liberal arts?

Sure, a fine arts degree at some random low quality state university is hardly of value in the field of fine arts. But whether it is useless is up to the student.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Again, by "art" do you mean fine arts or liberal arts?

Sure, a fine arts degree at some random low quality state university is hardly of value in the field of fine arts. But whether it is useless is up to the student.
Ok, whatever you say.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Ok, whatever you say.
Glad you agree.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,735,369 times
Quote:
Back in the early 1990's, my family came here to the US from one of the poorest regions in Eastern Asia. We came to this land with $10. Not 100. Ten.
Given that situation, your family's drive to succeed is understandable. Earlier generations of white Americans had that same drive. My own grandfather emigrated from Canada in the 1920s with nothing and built his own roofing business. All five of his sons, including my father, finished college degrees and worked successfully in fields like banking, insurance and real estate. They had lots of kids, my generation, who grew up comfortably and became slackers. I wonder how your kids and grandkids will turn out.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times
I wonder if most people think of East Asians when reading this thread.

I know for a fact most do not think of Pakistani's,Arabs,and Mongolian's.

Many on this board would be saying different things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.