Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times

Advertisements

I agree the OP's quoted law is unconstitutional and not legally enforceable. But realistically? I'm from Mississippi and have many friends and relatives still there. Any politician who publicly "denies the existence of a Supreme Being" will never be elected again. I'm not saying it's right, just saying that's the way the majority of citizens think.

Maybe slightly off topic, but does anyone here think someone who publicly "denies the existence of a Supreme Being" could ever get elected President? Personally, I don't think it'll ever happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

Maybe slightly off topic, but does anyone here think someone who publicly "denies the existence of a Supreme Being" could ever get elected President? Personally, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Not for at least another 25 yrs unfortunatly.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:08 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Actually, the 1st amendment was one of the few that was originally intended (and explicitly written) to apply only to the Federal government, not to state or local govts. It says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof... (and several other things)". It does not specify any such ban at all for state and local governments. This was in part due to the fact that most states in 1791 had official state religions, which the Framers didn't want to interfere with.

Contrast this to, say, the 2nd amendment, which does not name ANY specific government, and so was originally intended to ban ALL governments in the US from taking away or restricting people's right to keep and bear arms. This is true for several other amendments, too.

The 14th amendment later changed the scope of the 1st amendment, "incorporating" its ban onto state and local governments too. Obviously, it had no effect on the 2nd (and other) amendments which already had that scope.

It's often a hoot to see big-govt advocates insist that the entire Bill of Rights was intended to apply only to the Federal government. Clearly they haven't even read the BOR... or at best, have not thought about what they read.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps the OP would also care to link the Mississippi law she claims violates the US Constitution?
SECTION 265.
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI

Old 08-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Actually, the 1st amendment was one of the few that was originally intended (and explicitly written) to apply only to the Federal government, not to state or local govts. It says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof... (and several other things)". It does not specify any such ban at all for state and local governments. This was in part due to the fact that most states in 1791 had official state religions, which the Framers didn't want to interfere with.

Contrast this to, say, the 2nd amendment, which does not name ANY specific government, and so was originally intended to ban ALL governments in the US from taking away or restricting people's right to keep and bear arms. This is true for several other amendments, too.

The 14th amendment later changed the scope of the 1st amendment, "incorporating" its ban onto state and local governments too. Obviously, it had no effect on the 2nd (and other) amendments which already had that scope.

It's often a hoot to see big-govt advocates insist that the entire Bill of Rights was intended to apply only to the Federal government. Clearly they haven't even read the BOR... or at best, have not thought about what they read.
Article six looks like it applies to states too.
Quote:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Article six looks like it applies to states too.
Correct.

Oops, I mistakenly thought the OP was referring to the 1st amendment, not Article 6. That's what I get for not reading closely.

What I said is still true. But it is not relevant to this thread.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
How many states currently have laws that violate the constitution?

Mississippi has a law prohibits any person who "denies the existence of a Supreme Being" from holding state office. This is in direct violation of Article 6 of the constitution.
U.S. Constitution - Article 6 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
I was wondering how many others are out there.
When will you be listing all those violations you mentioned in your thread title? I came in here expecting to see something in violation of the 1st Amendment and find one State violating Article 6 of the Constitution. If you don't know the difference in the 1st Amendment and any part of the original Constitution, maybe you ought to read the whole thing,

How old is this Mississippi law and how long since it has been enforced. Surely you have a source to show us that.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When will you be listing all those violations you mentioned in your thread title? I came in here expecting to see something in violation of the 1st Amendment and find one State violating Article 6 of the Constitution. If you don't know the difference in the 1st Amendment and any part of the original Constitution, maybe you ought to read the whole thing,

How old is this Mississippi law and how long since it has been enforced. Surely you have a source to show us that.
I said I understand that it is unenforceable. I wanted to know if there were other examples on unconstitutional laws on the books.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
I said I understand that it is unenforceable. I wanted to know if there were other examples on unconstitutional laws on the books.
i am sure there are plenty of examples of state laws on the books now that are unconstitutional. however that they have not been decreed unconstitutional only means that they have not been challenged by those that broke the laws through the supreme court of the US. until that happens, the laws, unconstitutional though they may be, are still enforceable until such time as they are are struck down.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
How many states currently have laws that violate the constitution?

Mississippi has a law prohibits any person who "denies the existence of a Supreme Being" from holding state office. This is in direct violation of Article 6 of the constitution.
U.S. Constitution - Article 6 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
I was wondering how many others are out there.
All of them.

Legislatures generally don't waste time repealing laws that have been invalidated by one or more courts, for a variety of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies