Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have Whataburger in Az. They put out a fine product. However, In N Out is better by far and now, with the introduction of 5 Guys Hamburgers and Smashburger, Whataburgers popularity will likely decline more.

In-N-Out is real good.

5 Guys is real good.

Whataburger is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I know, which is why I have a problem with INO putting them on their packaging. I don't think religious evangelism has any place in a fast food establishment. I'll be less likely to eat there in the future and will probably never eat at Chik-Fil-A again.
I'm with you 100% man. Those damn Christians.

Always talking about not killing or stealing, being respectful, selflessness, etc, when I wanna do whatever I want.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Those laws were around before the bible was ever written. Look up the code of Hammurabi. Non religious.

Also there is a difference in murder, and stealing as both of those harm someone. What harm is there in two consenting adults getting a state issued marriage certificate?
The problem being that if gay couples have the legal right to be married, and a church denies the perform that ceremony if it violates their doctrine, the church will get hammered with discrimination lawsuits.

I'm fine with making gay marriage legal, as long as the church is protected to practice its faith without fear of being sued into oblivion.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Those laws were around before the bible was ever written. Look up the code of Hammurabi. Non religious.

Also there is a difference in murder, and stealing as both of those harm someone. What harm is there in two consenting adults getting a state issued marriage certificate?
Actually, Jesus overturned the main tenat of Hammurabi's code, which is an eye for an eye. Instead he says, "turn the other cheek."

Last edited by Del Boy; 08-07-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The problem being that if gay couples have the legal right to be married, and a church denies the perform that ceremony if it violates their doctrine, the church will get hammered with discrimination lawsuits.

I'm fine with making gay marriage legal, as long as the church is protected to practice its faith without fear of being sued into oblivion.
As has been stated many times, the church is not required to have a ceremony for anyone. They can deny a ceremony to people of different religions, because the person is divorced, and any other reason that they choose.

No one is talking about forcing churches to have a ceremony. We are talking about legal state, and federal recognized civil marriage.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Actually, Jesus overturned the main tenat of Hammurabi's code, which is an eye for an eye. Instead he says, "turn the other cheek."
Does secular law say turn the other cheek, or do we punish murderers, and thieves?

That goes to show that secular law has nothing to do with biblical law.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Does secular law say turn the other cheek, or do we punish murderers, and thieves?

That goes to show that secular law has nothing to do with biblical law.
That's because, generally speaking, people are evil. And when the fundamental laws that usurp man's laws are erased or signficantly diminished, there will be no moral basis for secular law to fall back on.

It will be determined by circumstance and who holds the power. At least now, we have a reason to feel guilty and to not promote violence because the Bible states that we will be held accountable for our actions.

Without Biblical law or the belief in God, there is nothing left to restrain man and their potentially wicked ways. Survival of the fittest will be the law of the land. It is written that this will eventually happen, so I suppose people can view this as a natural progression of the biblical prophecy.

If you have not read it, you should take some time to read the prophecy of Isaiah even if you do not believe in Christ and think the Bible is a work of fiction. What is written parallels what science is saying will eventually happen.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That's because, generally speaking, people are evil. And when the fundamental laws that usurp man's laws are erased or signficantly diminished, there will be no moral basis for secular law to fall back on.

It will be determined by circumstance and who holds the power. At least now, we have a reason to feel guilty and to not promote violence because the Bible states that we will be held accountable for our actions.

Without Biblical law or the belief in God, there is nothing left to restrain man and their potentially wicked ways. Survival of the fittest will be the law of the land. It is written that this will eventually happen, so I suppose people can view this as a natural progression of the biblical prophecy.

If you have not read it, you should take some time to read the prophecy of Isaiah even if you do not believe in Christ and think the Bible is a work of fiction. What is written parallels what science is saying will eventually happen.
I find it really sad that you have to look to a book to "feel guilty" about harming others. I don't need a book to tell me that hurting other people is bad.
I simply treat others as I expect to be treated. If a person shows themselves not worthy of my respect, I remove that person from my life.

You can live your life according to your religion, but you can not force others to live by your religious laws.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I find it really sad that you have to look to a book to "feel guilty" about harming others. I don't need a book to tell me that hurting other people is bad.
I simply treat others as I expect to be treated. If a person shows themselves not worthy of my respect, I remove that person from my life.

You can live your life according to your religion, but you can not force others to live by your religious laws.
That's fine, but to another atheist, you may appear weak. You may appear not to fully confide in your convictions. Another atheist may use atheism as an opportunity to gain power and create the world that they envisioned. Their vision of the world may not have any use for you, especially if you look at the world through a parochial view in which you only have one life to live. They may view you as a parastic souless entity that is encroaching on their resources and ability to enjoy life.

That's the potential danger with not believeing you will be held accountable for your actions on earth.

On the other hand, what Christ teaches is essentially harmless. He teaches selflessness, respect, and non-violence. If the entire world lived by his guidelines, we would be much better off; however, coercion through the force of hand is not acceptable.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That's fine, but to another atheist, you may appear weak. You may appear not to fully confide in your convictions. Another atheist may use atheism as an opportunity to gain power and create the world that they envisioned. Their vision of the world may not have any use for you, especially if you look at the world through a parochial view in which you only have one life to live. They may view you as a parastic souless entity that is encroaching on their resources and ability to enjoy life.

That's the potential danger with not believeing you will be held accountable for your actions on earth.

On the other hand, what Christ teaches is essentially harmless. He teaches selflessness, respect, and non-violence. If the entire world lived by his guidelines, we would be much better off; however, coercion through the force of hand is not acceptable.
Many christians use their religion to gain power and create a world that they envision. ( televangelists, mega church pastors)

Maybe if more "christians" actually followed the teachings of Christ there would be less people turning away from your religion.

There are good and bad in any group. Trying to play as if all atheists are bad, and all christians are good is a total farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies