Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM

592 posts, read 414,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Why not?

If your gay neighbors were married, would that affect your own marriage?

If your straight neighbors get divorced, does that make your marriage less valid?

Why so many people get riled about preventing homosexuals from equal rights under secular law is beyond me.

If your church (assuming you have one) doesn't condone homosexuality? They don't have to hold gay weddings there.

See? Problem solved.
All I'm saying is stop using that word. O.K? Call it whatever you want, but don't call it marriage. It's not marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
All I'm saying is stop using that word. O.K? Call it whatever you want, but don't call it marriage. It's not marriage.
Why can't they call it a marriage between 2 same sex people? As previous poster said it will have no impact on your marriage, will it?

So if marriage can not be used because it is a Christian ceremony, I guess the gays are not allowed to call it Christmas or Easter either. I guess they have to call it Festavus or something else so they do not offend the religious aspects of the holidays?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Could you please show me the Copyright license that gives you exclusive right to own that word? You are aware that word only exists in English speaking countries right? You are aware that its meaning has changed through history right?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
Why can't they call it a marriage between 2 same sex people? As previous poster said it will have no impact on your marriage, will it?

So if marriage can not be used because it is a Christian ceremony, I guess the gays are not allowed to call it Christmas or Easter either. I guess they have to call it Festavus or something else so they do not offend the religious aspects of the holidays?
Marriage isn't a Christian ceremony. Christianity merely enlightens us as to what marriage is. Like I said, the state can marry a male and a female. Jews marry. Muslims marry. Atheists marry. You don't have to be a Christian to marry.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
No they can't. The state can marry people as long as they are male and female, but they can not marry gays or call it marriage in my book. I think there should be a Constitutional challenge as to what the state can do and how far the state can go, as this crosses the line between church and state. The state can not redefine marriage. It's impossible.
Are you even aware that the Church did not even enter the "marriage" business until 1200 years after Christianity started, and then it took them another 400 years to even make it a requirement? Are you also aware that during the Reformation, Protestants adamantly opposed marriage and Christianity having anything to do with one another, and made sure marriage was governed by the State not the Church?

Marriage predates Christianity by at least 10,000 years, and was not even part of Christianity for 50-75% of its history.

You keep spouting off ridiculous nonsense proving you know nothing about this subject.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Could you please show me the Copyright license that gives you exclusive right to own that word? You are aware that word only exists in English speaking countries right? You are aware that its meaning has changed through history right?
Please examine yourself. Why is that word so important to you? And like I said already, the meaning of the word is the same in any language. That meaning hasn't changed since male and female were created.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
As much as you'd like to shut-down religious support of laws banning ssm as somehow being un-American and unconstitutional, not a single court case has ruled against those laws as violations of the establishment or free exercise of religion clause.
Actually, the Courts have ruled in favor of Same-sex marriage in most cases it's been presented. It's winning in the Federal system right now.

Quote:
Religious institutions and people have every right to influence lawmakers on the issue of ssm.
No they do not, since passing legislation based on religion is a violation of the 1st Amendment. Try learning the Law some time. Legislators aren't legally allowed to say, "Hey, Christianity opposes same-sex marriage, so let's pass this law banning it to be in line with Christian belief".

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Religious people see marriage between a man and a woman as something that has been approved by God. The state is not God. The state can not overide God or the church. The state can not approve gay marriage. Gay marriage has not been approved by God.

The haters of God might not like it, but when the state starts approving stuff like gay marriage, they are stepping over the line between church and state. Therefore gay marriage is unConstitutional.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you're part of a minority of religious people. Most Jews and Christians have no problem with gays, as indicated by polls and public statements. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical crowd obviously opposes it, but they are small, annoying vocal minority.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Seems like an arbitrary distinction. Why shouldn't single people have these rights? How about me and my brother or me and my father or me and my cat?
When your Cat can consent, you're welcome to marry it.

Quote:
Nevertheless, you can give yourselves all the rights and privileges you want. Just don't call it marriage.
It's already called marriage in numerous places around the World, so your demands are already being ignored.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Should the government legislate what Christians can say? Would you like to see preachrs charged with a hate crime if they say homosexuality is an abomination?
Absolutely not. Nor should they protect them from the possible consequences of exercising their right to free speech.

Freedom and responsibility are the two sides of a coin. You can't have one without the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies