Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 PM

592 posts, read 413,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You don't get to define marriage for anyone but yourself.

Legal Benefits of Marriage - What are the legal benefits of marriage

The reason that singles don't have them, is that they concern two people. A single is not two people, a couple is.
Seems like an arbitrary distinction. Why shouldn't single people have these rights? How about me and my brother or me and my father or me and my cat?

Nevertheless, you can give yourselves all the rights and privileges you want. Just don't call it marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,268,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Religious people see marriage between a man and a woman as something that has been approved by God. The state is not God. The state can not overide God or the church. The state can not approve gay marriage. Gay marriage has not been approved by God.

The haters of God might not like it, but when the state starts approving stuff like gay marriage, they are stepping over the line between church and state. Therefore gay marriage is unConstitutional.
The churches can make their arguments all they want, but they have no temporal power -- I'm sorry, that's just how it works. What you think God has to say regarding a matter doesn't transfer to our populous as a whole in mandate. In this country, the state is as protected from the church as vice versa: Americans are free from religious imposition. The state is allowed define marriage as it sees fit, as does the church in its own right. If no one is making these Churches marry Gay couples then they have nothing to complain about. They don't have the authority to tell people outside their flock what to do in regards to this matter. Its not like everyone in America has to keep Kosher by law because its in the Old Testament.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,363,867 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, you can give yourselves all the rights and privileges you want. Just don't call it marriage.
Who are you to tell a gay person what not to call their marriage? They should be telling you what to do with yours.

Free education at post #69.

(No, seriously, that's the number of the post here that proves you have no right to speak about a gay person's marriage).

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,904,303 times
Quote:
The state can not call it marriage. I think this issue should be brought before the Supreme Court because it is unConstitutional.
wtf? it's not unconstitutional.. the church does not have to sanction someone's marriage to have to a marriage under the law.. Churches can say.. WE WONT perform your marriage ceremony.. but the state cannot.. The state does not take into consideration the church when ruling on an issue in the courts..
It's just like adultery.. it's a sin, and against the church and god.. but it's not against the state, the state is not throwing adulterers in prison.

What is this.. the dark ages? it's like the catholic church vs the heads of state in europe all over again.. this time the bible thumping jesus camp people and the united states constitution... out of friggin control.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And I get to point out that same sex marriages are probably more marriage-like than heterosexual marriages, which seem by comparison to be mere divorces in progress

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Yoko One trying to teach Whitney Houston how to sing. That's all it is. That's all it ever was
The meaning of marriage is the same in any language - the two, male and female, become one flesh.

And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?" 4 He answered, "Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder." 7 They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?" 8 He said to them, "For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery." Mt. 19:3-9.

That's the truth and the church is the guardian of the truth.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
wtf? it's not unconstitutional.. the church does not have to sanction someone's marriage to have to a marriage under the law.. Churches can say.. WE WONT perform your marriage ceremony.. but the state cannot.. The state does not take into consideration the church when ruling on an issue in the courts..
It's just like adultery.. it's a sin, and against the church and god.. but it's not against the state, the state is not throwing adulterers in prison.

What is this.. the dark ages? it's like the catholic church vs the heads of state in europe all over again.. this time the bible thumping jesus camp people and the united states constitution... out of friggin control.
The state can do whatever it wants except call it marriage.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
The meaning of marriage is the same in any language - the two, male and female, become one flesh.

And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?" 4 He answered, "Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder." 7 They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?" 8 He said to them, "For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery." Mt. 19:3-9.

That's the truth and the church is the guardian of the truth.
that's a bunch of hog wash that I don't believe in as truth.. I think it's a nice story that makes many people feel good, but it's not truth.. it's a version you wish to accept as truth.. but don't assume everyone else does...
I'm sure jesus was a nice guy.. but I can answer for my own sins thank you very much.. I don't need jesus in my life.. he's dead.. let him rest in peace.. poor guy must be rolling over in his grave with how many people speak for him with such nonsense.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
the state already calls it marriage.. in the states that it allows gays to marry.. it's called marriage...
the church does not own the word marriage. Atheists are married under the law..with no respects made to the church..

Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,134,010 times
Quote:
Like I said, you can take that up with the government. You and your church do not get to tell the government what it can and can not do.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,268,512 times
Quote:
Actually they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies