Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
However, California's conservative population stands at 30% of the electorate at the moment. Fiscal conservatives have made some gains this year as citizens have passed much-needed employee pension reform in San Jose and San Diego, as well as defeated a poorly-worded increase in the state cigarette tax.
i admire your optimism, but that sounds like a drop of moderation in a sea of far-left lunacy. i think you're understating california's problems.

Last edited by le roi; 08-04-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Isn't California like 55% liberal, 45% not liberal? That's what I'm talking about. L.A. and SF Bay have a slight edge more population wise. The inland counties away from the coast, including San Diego and Orange County vote conservative. California is exactly like Illinois in that respect. Illinois has a liberal northeast and a conservative downstate.
San Diego County is evenly split between Democrats and Republicans. The county voted for Obama in 2008, and the city of San Diego has been moderate to liberal for probably 20 years.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
i'm from Colorado, I hate California for a reason. In the 80's and 90's ( and to a lesser extent, today) there was a mass exodus of Liberal idiots that fled to Colorado en masse, to escape high property taxes and big government, then they brough all that crap with them, and turned Colorado into a blue state, California 2.0.

If I had a dollar for every moron from California that started off a sentence with "Well, that's not how they do it in (insert ****hole California city here)", I'd be a billionaire. You guys fled for a better life, then demanded from the state legislature, EVERY SINGLE THING YOU LEFT!!! Like, their minds just couldnt wrap around the fact that big daddy goverment didn't take care of everyone here, and we own guns!!! (oh no!!)

You wanna know why conservatives hate California? I could go on for days.

Oh, and your number one offense? I will never forgive you for Focus on the Family.
Huh? Focus on the Family is a conservative organization.

And you do not own the state of Colorado. Americans are free to move to whatever state they choose. If you do not like Colorado anymore, you are free to leave.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I really like California...........but it's hard to be self employed.
California has a higher percentage of self-employed people than any other state. How is it hard to be self-employed here?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, you've encountered nicer circles than I have, then.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm critical of many of California's left-leaning policies, but I'm not so quick to believe that California is a lost cause. But some people are just so gosh darn ugly about it.

California's population is three-tenths foreign born and, in my estimate, 50-60% of the total population is one or two generations away from foreign ancestry. I ain't hatin', it adds to the diversity.

I honestly think about politics less here than I did in the South. However, it is a devolution on my part away from general interest in politics and not indicative of geographic or cultural location. Nonetheless, the comments made by my California-hatin' friends have been on my mind for some time; I'm not offended, but just trying to gain some more perspective.
California is indeed a "lost cause," and has been since the 1970s. It epitomizes everything that is wrong with the leftist agenda, particularly San Francisco. I was born and raised in California, and I will be one of the first to dance in the streets when the Big One finally hits and pushes California into the sea. It is a blight on the nation.

In 1974, when I returned from my overseas duty assignment, I flew into San Francisco wearing my Class A uniform. I was cursed as a "baby killer," had objects thrown at me, and spit upon by San Francisco residents before I even got out of the airport, and I never served in Vietnam.

In 1989 California enacted a law, with no grandfather clause, and I was turned into a criminal overnight just because of the weapons I had legally purchased in California just a few years earlier. I could either turn my legally purchased weapons over to the police, or I could leave the State. I chose the latter and moved to Alaska in 1991.

The only way I would ever step foot in California again is if it is nuked and wiped clean of the liberal filth that has infested the State since the 1970s.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
At least they aren't Berkeley.
Why do you conservatives have this Berkeley stick up your butts? Geez...its a town with slightly more population than Odessa, Tx,...and yet you guys act as if its a metropolis!!! You know how many towns in the Bay Area alone have similar or larger populations? It's a nothing town, only notable because a university is located there. Yea, its very beautiful and very prosperous, but I thought that was supposed to be a GOOD THING?

The state of California isn't run out of Berkeley, despite what you RWNJ's seem to think.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
California is indeed a "lost cause," and has been since the 1970s. It epitomizes everything that is wrong with the leftist agenda, particularly San Francisco. I was born and raised in California, and I will be one of the first to dance in the streets when the Big One finally hits and pushes California into the sea. It is a blight on the nation.

In 1974, when I returned from my overseas duty assignment, I flew into San Francisco wearing my Class A uniform. I was cursed as a "baby killer," had objects thrown at me, and spit upon by San Francisco residents before I even got out of the airport, and I never served in Vietnam.

In 1989 California enacted a law, with no grandfather clause, and I was turned into a criminal overnight just because of the weapons I had legally purchased in California just a few years earlier. I could either turn my legally purchased weapons over to the police, or I could leave the State. I chose the latter and moved to Alaska in 1991.

The only way I would ever step foot in California again is if it is nuked and wiped clean of the liberal filth that has infested the State since the 1970s.
No one was spat upon and called a baby killer in an airport during the Vietnam conflict. That tale just keeps propagating itself despite all the evidence to the contrary.

If you don't like California, then just say so. But please, lay off the old fables.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one was spat upon and called a baby killer in an airport during the Vietnam conflict. That tale just keeps propagating itself despite all the evidence to the contrary.

If you don't like California, then just say so. But please, lay off the old fables.
Typical liberal freak. Denying what I personally experienced, as if you were there.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think perhaps the press itself at that time which was even more liberal clearly pointed out that happenig at airports.One then only has to listen to Kerry's speech i his testimony to congress in the so called vietnam hearings in which he called our troops a bunch of rapist and murders to see just now the democratic left actaully felt about troops. Then remmber that this was before he started his political career. I think perhaps the left would love to forget just now they treated the troops. I think perhaps its not losss tho on most people now by what we see today i rection to what was done then.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
What a lame way to put your words into someone else's mouth.

Actually, the words were quite accurate if you look at this poster's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies