Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

The UK normally taxes olympic winnings too. But, they had to agree not to collect those taxes in order to get the games in London.

Did Mitt Romney work the same deal for the Salt Lake City games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just when I thought I'd heard every made up and manufactured controversy, we get this tripe...courtesy of the Olympics.

Any athlete needing to pay taxes on medals will have it all paid by their sponsors anyway. Medal winners are going to make out like fat rats. Stop crying on behalf of them when they aren't crying themselves.
Agreed. This is one of the most disingenuous faux-outrages I've seen in a while.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Who what why: Why are BBC reporters unable to distinguish fact from faux controversy?

//www.city-data.com/forum/25450752-post53.html

Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh, you answered a few questions on jeopardy. They dedicated years of training , blood , sweat and tears to winning a medal .
Athletes like Phelps can bring in two hundred thousand dollars from the games, so of course it is taxed. Why should it not be?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
In the US, it seems Olympic athletes are taxed. The tax may even be worth more than the cost of medals. The funny thing is, other countries pay a lot of money for athletes to compete at such high levels, whereas our athletes are punished.
They are 'punished' with $25,000 check per medal.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Agreed. This is one of the most disingenuous faux-outrages I've seen in a while.
The set-up for the controversy is that OBAMA is the first president to tax Olympic athletes...they thought that argument would gain traction. As stupid as Americans tend to be, I'm surprised that it didn't. So for once, i'll give my fellow citizens an applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
Professional athletes who compete in the Olympics (well, to being with, they shouldn't) should pay tax. Amateur athletes shouldn't. Most of these sports don't have any professional outlets and participants lose money for years trying to qualify.
There really are no amateurs in the Olympics. They're all paid by their sponsors.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Just when I thought I'd heard every made up and manufactured controversy, we get this tripe...courtesy of the Olympics.

Any athlete needing to pay taxes on medals will have it all paid by their sponsors anyway. Medal winners are going to make out like fat rats. Stop crying on behalf of them when they aren't crying themselves.
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Athletes like Phelps can bring in two hundred thousand dollars from the games, so of course it is taxed. Why should it not be?
very true. and unless the law has been changed recently, you can make up to $26,000 outside the US before you have to pay US taxes.

Quote:
The set-up for the controversy is that OBAMA is the first president to tax Olympic athletes...they thought that argument would gain traction. As stupid as Americans tend to be, I'm surprised that it didn't. So for once, i'll give my fellow citizens an applause.
yep, it was a nice try, but in the end a failure.

Quote:
There really are no amateurs in the Olympics. They're all paid by their sponsors.
and in other countries, they are in government service and get paid by the countries government to train for athletic events. this is why the US olympic committee decided in 1990(?) to eliminate the restriction on professional athletes competing for US teams in the olympics.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I see them as amateurs in the US, or so I've always thought.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said.

very true. and unless the law has been changed recently, you can make up to $26,000 outside the US before you have to pay US taxes.

yep, it was a nice try, but in the end a failure.

and in other countries, they are in government service and get paid by the countries government to train for athletic events. this is why the US olympic committee decided in 1990(?) to eliminate the restriction on professional athletes competing for US teams in the olympics.
OK, I see. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I see them as amateurs in the US, or so I've always thought.
How many amateurs do they have in the US basketball team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies