Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The people who endorsed those practices were not truly part of the church.

I have studied the medieval church extensively - why do most civilized nations have a concept of separation of church and state?

Because the European medieval model did not work.
Have you read anything by Ken Follet? I suggest you read Pillars of The Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
You are so ignorant - that it is not even funny.
Actually you are the one who is ignorant, willfully ignorant because you just don't like the truth of the history of religion.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times
Quote:
The people who endorsed those practices were not truly part of the church.

I have studied the medieval church extensively - why do most civilized nations have a concept of separation of church and state?

Because the European medieval model did not work.
No model of a religious state works. Never has, never will. Every single time it ends up with a crusade or some sort, and millions of people dying.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I will have to ask you if you have any idea when the Dark Ages took place in Europe. I think you may be surprised to learn that the period was begun about 800 and extended for over 400 years. Do you know who took all the leaning of people through that period? Why is was the Catholic Church and they were also responsible for about anything peaceful in Europe during that period. You really may learn a lot if you take the trouble to read up on the Dark Ages as to when it was, what caused it, how the Church influenced Europe in the period since the only learned people of the area were church men.

I know it is hard to take that this is true but I am pretty sure you don't know when and what the Dark Ages were.
Do you know why those church men were the only learned people? It was a crime to investigate anything without the churches consent. You could not practice medicine, or any form of science or study without the expressed permission of the church. To do so would end in either imprisonment or death.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Sigh....

This folks - is a perfect example of the ignorance that is causing our society to decay(sanspeur's post).
What part is ignorant?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually Canada is much more civilized than your warped definition of the word....Please do tell, how do you define the word?

civ·i·lized

1. Having a highly developed society and culture.....We have this.
2. Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable:...We definitely are humane, ethical and reasonable... (we take care of our sick with health care for all, we do not discriminate because of color, race, nationality, sexual preference or religion.
3. Marked by refinement in taste and manners;...We are well known for these things.
I agree, Canada is much more civilized. How hard is it to become a citizen?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
What are family values?
To conservatives, family values mainly revolve around rejecting abortion and refusing homosexuals as members of the family.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Jesus was gay

Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
No model of a religious state works.
Sigh...

Study ancient Israel - they only failed because thay forsake the Lord.

That is why the medieval holy states failed as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did you miss my evidence regarding old Abe?

Was Jesus gay? Probably

I preached on Good Friday that Jesus's intimacy with John suggested he was gay as I felt deeply it had to be addressed. Was Jesus gay? Probably | Paul Oestreicher | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Then Jesus must have been a closeted gay, because surely there was a lot of deep heart felt hatred against gays back then, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies