Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 07:19 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness some states have common sense, good job DeSantis

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...sites-86774828

Quote:
The University of Central Florida has removed anti-racist statements from departmental websites, a move that one professor has decried as an “infringement on academic freedom” in the wake of the passage of a Republican-backed law that restricts how race can be taught.

Ann Gleig, a religious studies professor, said in an email Wednesday that the anti-racist statement on the philosophy department's website and those of other departments have been taken down. The philosophy department's statement was crafted in the summer of 2020 following the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis, she said.

“This is a complete infringement of academic freedom," Gleig said. “The statement was crafted over a period of time with dialogue and input across a twenty person plus faculty trained in philosophy, religion and cultural studies and the humanities."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 07:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Infringement of Academic Freedom.

I must have missed that Amendment in the US Constitution. WTF?

GOVERNMENT schools follow GOVERNMENT rules. If I had my way, there would be no government schools. Just a voucher for every kid to take to the private school of his or her choice and you either pay additional for transportation or get your kid there on your own. The bad schools would fail and the good schools would prosper and expand in size or with new locations. The schools would answer directly to the parents of the student body. If those parents want their kids to know how to put a condom on a cucumber, so be it. At least you would be free to take your kid and your voucher to a different school.

Academic "infringement". What a jackwipe.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:25 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
"anti-racism" = divisive agitation
Good move DeSantis.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I want actual scientists determining what is taught in science classes. I don’t want local yokels making those decisions.

I want actual historians determining what is taught in history classes. I don’t want the United Daughters of the Confederacy making those decisions.

It’s for good reason that public education is in the hands of professionals, and not the hands of the idiot public.
You think Scientists and Historians work for State Departments of Education, or serve on local school boards, or are school principals and other school administrators? LOL. My, you ARE out of touch, aren't you?

Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I want actual scientists determining what is taught in science classes. I don’t want local yokels making those decisions.

I want actual historians determining what is taught in history classes. I don’t want the United Daughters of the Confederacy making those decisions.

It’s for good reason that public education is in the hands of professionals, and not in the hands of the idiot public.
Like I said, you love government and don't trust the People.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:50 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You think Scientists and Historians work for State Departments of Education, or serve on local school boards, or are school principals and other school administrators? LOL. You ARE out of touch, aren't you?
Scientists and historians determine what goes into textbooks and curricula. Or at least, they should. If they don’t, then we have a serious problem that needs addressing.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Scientists and historians determine what goes into textbooks and curricula. Or at least, they should. If they don’t, then we have a serious problem that needs addressing.
The board of education sets the content that goes into a school book and then picks the authors, giving them an outline of content to put in the school book. The content is not selected by "scientists and historians", nor do scientists and historians determine the curricula, or specifically what children will be taught in class or how it will be taught. All of that is done by school administrators, generally following guidelines from the state board of education. The professors who author the books under a main editor, are just providing the content they are given by the board of education. The authors don't determine what goes into a text book.

Who Gets To Write Public-School History Textbooks?

Anyone with a Ph.D. in a relevant field might be acceptable, but so would a high-school teacher with a decent writing sample. In general, the publisher hires a more distinguished scholar as the main editor, who oversees the project and has final say over the content.

That person would be given an outline of material that must be included, such as the state’s geography, symbols, and history.

The board of education sets guidelines for a textbook’s content but not for the qualifications of its author.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...textbooks.html

Old 07-14-2022, 08:36 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Like I said, you love government and don't trust the People.
You are absolutely right that I don’t trust “the people.” Most of “the people” are morons. I trust professionals and experts in their field.

When it comes to public education, do you really want the public determining the curriculum? Half the public thinks that 9-11 was an inside job, that the moon landing was faked, and that Donald Trump won the 2020 election. A significant portion of the population believes the universe is controlled by an invisible man with whom they can telepathically communicate by folding their hands and closing their eyes. The flat earth movement is growing.

Forgive me if I don’t trust “the people.”

Old 07-14-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right that I don’t trust “the people.” Most of “the people” are morons. I trust professionals and experts in their field.

When it comes to public education, do you really want the public determining the curriculum? Half the public thinks that 9-11 was an inside job, that the moon landing was faked, and that Donald Trump won the 2020 election. A significant portion of the population believes the universe is controlled by an invisible man with whom they can telepathically communicate by folding their hands and closing their eyes. The flat earth movement is growing.

Forgive me if I don’t trust “the people.”
Because the government has done such a great job holding down the national debt, preventing inflation, and making housing available to all.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:18 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank goodness some states have common sense, good job DeSantis

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...sites-86774828
Guilt-riddled lefties. the anthropology department's website at UCF said, “We acknowledge that many of us are born with unearned privilege, while others are denied basic human rights."

If their "privilege" bothers them so much, move somewhere where they're minorities and will be treated like fresh poop. Goodbye guilt!

Quote:
Infringement of Academic Freedom.

I must have missed that Amendment in the US Constitution. WTF?

GOVERNMENT schools follow GOVERNMENT rules. If I had my way, there would be no government schools. Just a voucher for every kid to take to the private school of his or her choice and you either pay additional for transportation or get your kid there on your own. The bad schools would fail and the good schools would prosper and expand in size or with new locations. The schools would answer directly to the parents of the student body. If those parents want their kids to know how to put a condom on a cucumber, so be it. At least you would be free to take your kid and your voucher to a different school.

Academic "infringement". What a jackwipe.
Long long ago in a place far far away, government schools were good. Then The Left started worming in. Now it seems most schools ingrain stupidity and hate. Our civilization is in deep trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies