Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I have thought all along that we should have a "surtax" to pay for the war. Compute your normal income tax at the end of the year, and add a 2 or 3 % surcharge to directly fund the war effort. It would certainly add meaning to the statement about "support our troops" and may give folks more of a sense of having a personal stake in the issue.
Agree. As soon as 9-11 happened, Bush should've rescinded his tax cuts and said "Sorry, we've been attacked and have to pay for a war, hope you understand, let's win this thing and get back to cutting taxes later, one for all and all for one." But he didn't. Then Rummy tried to do a war on the cheap. Double oops. Any economist will tell you that you CANNOT have both guns AND butter at the same time, and if you try, you're gonna do yourself wrong, royally.

The amount of red ink is a crime. I could see it, maybe, if it were for infrastructure or worthy national investment. But not tax cuts so the wealthy can get yet another Benz and invest in risky hedge funds (credit bubble anyone?). I'm almost 60, and don't expect to ever see the national debt go away in my lifetime, where we had a shot at that goal when Bush came to office, but he pandered to his "base" (man, how I hate THAT word) and cut taxes on the wealthiest at the expense of the working folks. I think this will come back to haunt us big time. Bush-43 is an example of how to do just about everything wrong, stupid or poorly.

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
...becuase LBJ's social goody basket just kept costing more and more. Remember the (cough cough) war on poverty?
Remember shredding the social safety net? That was one of Reagan's major accomplishments -- replacing a hundred billion dollars per year of transfer payments to the poor via social programs with a hundred billion dollars per year of transfer payments to the wealthy via interest on the public debt.

Quote:
When does the surge start on that one?
Not for a while. Still more important to blow up impoverished Iraqis than to help out impoverished Americans.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Remember shredding the social safety net? That was one of Reagan's major accomplishments -- replacing a hundred billion dollars per year of transfer payments to the poor via social programs with a hundred billion dollars per year of transfer payments to the wealthy via interest on the public debt.

Yes, I remember those people on the streets begging. It looked like Calcutta. Especially in Silver Springs and Bethesda.

Not for a while. Still more important to blow up innocent Iraqis than to help out innocent Americans.

I won't dignify that distortion with a reply.
You've got to do better than simply mouth MoveOn.'s lies.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Yes, I remember those people on the streets begging. It looked like Calcutta. Especially in Silver Springs and Bethesda.
It's Silver Spring...no 's'. And you probably meant Potomac and McLean.

Quote:
I won't dignify that distortion with a reply.
Won't...can't. What's in a word...

Quote:
You've got to do better than simply mouth MoveOn.'s lies.
And maybe you could do better than posting just to see yourself type. Flip and supercilious aren't necessarily so becoming when people's lives are on the line.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
It's Silver Spring...no 's'. And you probably meant Potomac and McLean.

Won't...can't. What's in a word...

And maybe you could do better than posting just to see yourself type. Flip and supercilious aren't necessarily so becoming when people's lives are on the line.
Not yours, certainly. Now or ever.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Not that the stock market is an indicator of any great deal, but you do get interesting results if you add up the stock market gains under Dem vs Rep administrations since the First World War or so...
Yeah, I know, meaning if you are a wise invester in stocks you will always vote for a Democrat for president because the stock market usually gains most when a Democrat is president. And President Bush is doing a great job proving how very true that is since the stock market hasn't gone up nearly as much under Bush, so far, as it done under Clinton.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Ever the fate of the Democrats. FDR cleans up after Hoover. JFK after Eisenhower. Carter after Nixon/Ford. Clinton after Reagan/Bush-1. Now this. You have to start wondering why we bother electing any of these Republicans at all...
Don't lump Reagan and Bush-1 together. They were two different presidents with different policies.

And don't forget that Reagan had a (huge) clean-up after Carter.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
Carter was on pace to clean it up, unfortunatley we had 8 years of Reagan to completly destroy everything, add another 8 years of Bush Jr. I would say this country is permanently ****ed
What was it again that Reagan "completely destroyed" everything? It couldn't have been the economy which became the most properous peacetime economy up to then.
And it couldn't have been ending the Cold War by forcing the Soviet Union to spend itself into bankruptcy and collapsing.

And you say Carter was "on pace to clean it up?" LOL. LOL. Yeah, like 9% unemployment, 20+% interest rates and 12.9% inflation. Amazing how some people try to rewrite history!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. As soon as 9-11 happened, Bush should've rescinded his tax cuts and said "Sorry, we've been attacked and have to pay for a war, hope you understand, let's win this thing and get back to cutting taxes later, one for all and all for one." But he didn't. Then Rummy tried to do a war on the cheap. Double oops. Any economist will tell you that you CANNOT have both guns AND butter at the same time, and if you try, you're gonna do yourself wrong, royally.
But tax cuts increase government revenue; it doesn't decrease it.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And President Bush is doing a great job proving how very true that is since the stock market hasn't gone up nearly as much under Bush, so far, as it done under Clinton.

???? Guess the tech bust didn't happen where you are????

Gains don't mean squat if you give them all back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies