Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times

Advertisements

I was just suggesting that the economic classes currently profiting from the war start to pay back some of their ill-gotten gains. The classes providing the soldiers that get killed in the war can never recover that loss.

I also think that the Federal Government should levy taxes to cover the costs instead of borrowing the money. I also think that nobody with an income below two times the national mean should have to pay any Federal or State income tax. This would free up so much money for private investment and/or consumption that our economy and stock markets would enter an era of continuous prosperity for most of the population. The really wealthy would become somewhat less wealthy but would never become impoverished because their investments would still be profitable.

A set of tariffs on imports to eliminate any foreign advantage in labor or environmental, including cheap coal fired electric power, cost would guide investment back into this country and result in the reindustrialization of our nation. This, along with strict controls on immigration would result in really full employment and prosperity,

Our current borrow and spend combined with the importation of stuff manufactured in dirty factories with slave labor and unlimited immigration will continue our slide into a two tier society with very few princes controlling vast numbers of impoverished peons. That discrepancy in power will naturally result in the elimination of our democratic republic that will be replaced with a tyranny of corporate control.

We also have to stop wasting our time, money and lives defending all the investment in overseas colonies. Colonies do not pay for themselves in the long run and only result in the destruction of the colonizing empire.

So, to summarize, we need a War Tax to force the people responsible for creating this colonial war to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,852,542 times

Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,337,085 times
So you're admitting liberals DO have brains! A step in the right direction.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,806,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But tax cuts increase government revenue; it doesn't decrease it.
Not true, per my sources:
- Claim That Tax Cuts “Pay For Themselves” Is Too Good To Be True: Data Show No “Free Lunch” Here, Revised 7/27/06
- The Return Of Voodoo Economics

Got proof? Other than voodoo economics? Other than wishful thinking? Other than the back of the kool-aid package?

Are we in the black now?

Convince us.

s/mike

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times
Lancaster - you left out the part of my brain that remembers a colonial War in the Mekong Delta where I had a great year and learned things about war that most of you apparently have not. Or the part that remembers owning my own business and having to close it because Reganomics destroyed my customer base. Or the part that has studied environmental science so I can work at making the world a better place for all of us. Even you “conservatives”.

The Conservative Brain has two lobes - A small lobe called social fantasies, voodoo economics and submission to the god/leader/boss and the far larger lobe labeled GREED and irresponsibility.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,399,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Conservative Brain has two lobes - A small lobe called social fantasies, voodoo economics and submission to the god/leader/boss and the far larger lobe labeled GREED and irresponsibility.
It's only been a few minutes, but try as I might so far, I can't see the hole in that logic...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 AM

24,482 posts, read 33,181,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not true, per my sources:
- Claim That Tax Cuts “Pay For Themselves” Is Too Good To Be True: Data Show No “Free Lunch” Here, Revised 7/27/06
- The Return Of Voodoo Economics

Got proof? Other than voodoo economics? Other than wishful thinking? Other than the back of the kool-aid package?

Are we in the black now?

Convince us.

s/mike
I have proved it many times already on this forum.
Since you were able to look up links yourself, keep doing it and you'll realize that tax cuts do increase government revenue. John F. Kennedy knew it in the '60s, Ronald Reagan knew it in the '80s and G.W. Bush knows it today.
Posting a opinion piece from the left-wing Washington Post isn't going to change facts.

We are not in the black now (although the deficit is being paid off faster than expected) because of overspending. I wish people would stop blaming a deficit on tax cuts.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 AM

85 posts, read 245,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How about the proposed tax to put the war on a pay as you go basis? It proposes a 2 to 15% tax graduated for income to pay for any further escalation.

I could not agree more but, as usual, have some trouble with the details. Instead of a tax on all income classes it should only be levied on the upper 4% and count all of their income, including any “tax free” income from trusts etc, and then take as much as needed to pay for this war and then the next war in Iran. These people have been the war profiteers and should pay for their profits.
Ridiculous! Why should I or anyone for that matter have to pay for a war we do not agree with? The war-profiteers should be the one's giving back some of those multi-million dollar contracts they were awarded at the expense of the American people....oh wait I forgot those are lthe same lobbyists who back the curren Administration!

My feelings are this...plain and simple. If you want to increase my taxes then make damn sure they are going towards something of substance. Social programs that we can see benefits from not some lies for which no one seems to be held accountable for.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 AM

24,482 posts, read 33,181,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Newbie View Post
Ridiculous! Why should I or anyone for that matter have to pay for a war we do not agree with? The war-profiteers should be the one's giving back some of those multi-million dollar contracts they were awarded at the expense of the American people....oh wait I forgot those are lthe same lobbyists who back the curren Administration!

My feelings are this...plain and simple. If you want to increase my taxes then make damn sure they are going towards something of substance. Social programs that we can see benefits from not some lies for which no one seems to be held accountable for.
As I recall, the last administration also had multi-million dollar contracts. Including no-bid contracts with Halliburton.

Incidentally, Bush has spent MORE than Clinton on social programs.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 AM

85 posts, read 245,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
As I recall, the last administration also had multi-million dollar contracts. Including no-bid contracts with Halliburton.

Incidentally, Bush has spent MORE than Clinton on social programs.
All that shows is that "THEY" are all in bed together and in the process are continuing to manipulate us all...go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies