Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Last week would have been the 100th birthday of the late Milton Friedman, and Limbaugh mentioned it on his show. He also mentioned that he had once interviewed Friedman for his newsletter. I tracked down the interview here at Limbaugh's site. To read the interview you have to click this link then click on 'Limbaugh letter interview (PDF)' about 3 paragraphs down. Much of it is about the flat tax, with bonus insights from Friedman on the problems with the 'soak the rich' approach that is so popular currently among Democrats.
Milton Friedman - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Limbaugh has been so thoroughly maligned by the left by now, that he is really damaged goods. I'd venture to say that even many conservatives now are hesitant to admit that they are fans. The left has really perfected the art of mass-character assasination and relentless name-calling. And it's all too easy to succumb to the fashions of the day, but I don't hesitate to express my continued admiration for Limbaugh, for his work to spread the gospel of freedom and individualism.

Of course, one arrow consistently shot at Limbaugh by the left is that he is just dumb. He doesn't even have a college degree, he's not an intellectual, etc. Apparently Nobel Laureate Friedman was suitably impressed with Limbaugh's intellect and message. When at the University of Chicago, Friedman was a leading figure at one of the great universities in the world, and at the time U of C was considered as either the no. 1 or 2 econ department in the country. It was either MIT or U of C, depending on whom you were asking. I believe that U of C has produced more econ Nobel Laureates, but I'm not certain about that.

At the conclusion of the interview, Friedman says "Great talking to you. I think your public performances are serving a very important public function. Keep 'em up."

Last edited by wutitiz; 08-04-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Well don't be sad for the most listened to broadcaster in the history of the world.

He comes from a family of high achieving brains. Mostly lawyers, Judges and such he would talk and debate with them all the time.

He found college not to his liking or calling since he wanted to go into radio.

As he sits in his Florida 45 million dollar estate, I'd say he's done very well and being they pay him to talk they figure a lot are listening to him.

Democrats call anyone who isn't them the Devil, which is the same Muslims do, so politically the Democrats are Muslims by nature. Convert or die.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
When ol' "Saint Rush" drops his bluster and explains the reasons behind things in simple economic terms, he's every bit as articulate as anybody else on "our team".

But I think most of us recognize that that's not his prime function. When he draws fire from the more simplistic among the Democrats, he usually has little trouble pointing out the contradictions in their "reasoning", the raw lust for power central to their mindset, or both.

And note as well that he has tempered his attacks on "feminazism", but not until he had built a base among older men who knew they were losing influence, but did not always understand why. The emancipation of women is a simple quest for equality rooted in basic societal reforms made possbile by the humanitarian progress that no longer allows large numbers of women to die in childbitrth, but it sometimes presnts an irrational, simplistic and/or hostile side, and for a time, Limbaugh knew how to call attention to it.

Whenever the lefty foolishness drifts into deep water, it's usually due to its own lack of reasoning. But when that happens, Messrs. Limbaugh, Hannity and all the rest aren't above tossing it a line ....

With a nice, heavy anchor on the other end. Have a nice day, and a fast trip down!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-04-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 12:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,337 times
Milton Friedman was American Gebbels. Nothing except propaganda for the second half of his life.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well don't be sad for the most listened to broadcaster in the history of the world.

He comes from a family of high achieving brains. Mostly lawyers, Judges and such he would talk and debate with them all the time.

He found college not to his liking or calling since he wanted to go into radio.

As he sits in his Florida 45 million dollar estate, I'd say he's done very well and being they pay him to talk they figure a lot are listening to him.
Jeez, did you need a cigarette after writing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Democrats call anyone who isn't them the Devil, which is the same Muslims do, so politically the Democrats are Muslims by nature. Convert or die.
Good boy. You parrot your beloved L. so well.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Limbaugh has been so thoroughly maligned by the left by now, that he is really damaged goods. I'd venture to say that even many conservatives now are hesitant to admit that they are fans.
Limbaugh isn't conservative. He is for big government often enough. Being the policemen of the world in order to protect oil interests isn't a conservative value. He's a republican hiding in conservative clothing.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Fight for Liberty? We won that fight in 1776, just so ya know.
I listened to Rush daily for years and yes he does make some valid points at times and at others he makes statements that are obviously meant to flame the fires between Liberals and Conservatives. It is called Pandering, and is intended to get attention, which equates to ratings, which equates to money for him. Is Rush dumb, apsolutely not, are his dittoheads dumb, well that is for you to descide.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Milton Friedman was American Gebbels. Nothing except propaganda for the second half of his life.
Tell that to chile and china.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Tell that to chile and china.
Chile, yes... a $500 income per month, with cost of living similar to American, surely makes people happy.

But more importantly - only one country is touted as Chicago's success, while all others are ignored... or it's the fault of local politicians, they say... in many different countries, sure.

And China didn't follow Friedmanites.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Fight for Liberty? We won that fight in 1776, just so ya know....
Is Rush dumb, apsolutely not, are his dittoheads dumb, well that is for you to descide.

Yeah, sure, we won it in 1776, and 236 years later we literally can't take a dump without having to comply with federal regs on our toilets, and can't sneeze without some CDC bureaucrat telling us we're doing it wrong.

Is Limbaugh's audience 'dumb?' Like any group, doubtless it's a bell curve, But again, evidently Milton Friedman was a member of that group. Before you decide,' trying getting a copy of Friedman's basic econ textbook, Price Theory. Work your way through it, then answer the question for yourself--no need to defer to a useful idiot dittohead such as myself for the answer.
Price Theory - Milton Friedman - Google Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies