Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I'm no tea party or right wing sympathizer and i dont think their cause would be born out of random bordom.

There has to be a reason, cause and effect if you will. I dont believe they mean to act like evil villains, i dont believe they are less accepting of change as anyone else, i think the boat got rocked all too fast too soon. It has made the already paranoid and suspicious all more paranoid and suspicions, a black president sealed the deal. And no im not anti obama niether.

As much as i disagree with their extreme views, i am still a moderate conservative (a minority one). Our views stem from the same base though theirs is more polarized given our climate. The failures of our society gave a resurgence to their rise. Everyone shares the blame, both liberals and conservative, not more than the other.
I think the reason has to do with the bad economy. During bad times the populace turns to people with more radical views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Anyways the Republicans nominated Romney, and he's pretty moderate (for a modern Republican). So I'd say it isn't time to panic quite yet.
Romney will be whatever they want and need him to be. He will bend to the Neocon/Tea Party/Ayn Rand school of thought will, if it means that he can sit in The Oval Office. He has zero integrity and although the right wing religious crackpots would have preferred a Santorum, Perry or Bachmann, Romney's agenda of further enriching the top 1% suits enough of the Necons just fine. There is a part of me that almost wishes he wins and takes the nation over that cliff as the wealthiest banksters and corporatists go unscathed. Maybe what is left of this nation's middle class needs that type of atomic bomb to finally reject the trickle down voodoo and crush the fringe groups into oblivion.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Romney will be whatever they want and need him to be. He will bend to the Neocon/Tea Party/Ayn Rand school of thought will, if it means that he can sit in The Oval Office. He has zero integrity and although the right wing religious crackpots would have preferred a Santorum, Perry or Bachmann, Romney's agenda of further enriching the top 1% suits enough of the Necons just fine. There is a part of me that almost wishes he wins and takes the nation over that cliff as the wealthiest banksters and corporatists go unscathed. Maybe what is left of this nation's middle class needs that type of atomic bomb to finally reject the trickle down voodoo and crush the fringe groups into oblivion.
They will NEVER reject it no matter how far off the cliff we go. It will be the liberals' faults to them no matter what. They went so far as to say the Clinton's economic success was because Reagan's policies didn't affect change until then. Yet it is Obama's fault when the economy goes in the toilet before he even enters the White House. They will rape the concept of a timeline as much as it takes as long as it makes the conservatives look good.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:03 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The party has moved very far to the right over the last 30-40 years. If you look at their platform from 1956, it actually has good things to say about collective bargaining, along with the usual right-wing language. I've had discussions with various people from the extreme right (Ron Paul supporters) to slightly less right-wing (Romney) but haven't talked to a GOP moderate in about 30 years. Rare birds.

The Republicans I've spoken with have been racist; hate the poor and disadvantaged; are selfish and only concerned with feathering their own nests. They favour the continuation of class warfare/tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, and Democratic voter suppression. The usual. The main thing I am concerned about is that President Obama doesn't go back to trying to work with them in his second term. I pray that he has learned his lesson about that.
Dude, you really need to start thinking for yourself

Lets see...... in the 1950's and say 60's...... when the so called "normal and tolerable" Republican party existed before they moved "so far to the right"....... what was their standing on gay marriage, womens rights, legalizing pot, the environment, abortions.......drumroll please..... THEY WERE COMPLETELY AGAINST ALL OF THESE ISSUES THEN AS WELL

If you want to argue that the Republican party has played a part in destroying the middle class and moved to the right economically then fine, but don't ever act like socially they have moved that way because you would be completely wrong

Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
They will rape the concept of a timeline as much as it takes as long as it makes the conservatives look good.
You are assuming that this portion of the electorate is conservative. I'd say wanting to dismantle the system of middle class empowerment and individual rights we have built over the past 100 years is wildly radical.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
The Republican Party has been hijacked by a dogmatic, authoritarian right-wing extremist group. They have pushed American politics so far to the right, the Democratic Party is now home to the more mainstream and moderate conservatives that the GOP used to have. No wonder so many Americans hate politics.

I blame the influence of neo-fundamentalist Christians. When you believe politics is a morally absolute struggle between good and evil, and that your opponents-your fellow Americans-are the embodiment of evil, then it becomes all about winning, a zero-sum game, where reason and empathy are discarded in favor of blind visceral-emotional reactions.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You are assuming that this portion of the electorate is conservative. I'd say wanting to dismantle the system of middle class empowerment and individual rights we have built over the past 100 years is wildly radical.
What?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:52 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
There was a time not too long ago, when The Republican Party had high profile advocates who could legitimately be called intelligent conservatives. I rarely agreed with them, but they approached controversial issues with rational and respectful discourse.

Today, the lunatic fringe has taken over that party---infusing it with their personal religious beliefs, their personal hatreds, and a near-prideful contempt for intelligent thought and interaction.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
There was a time not too long ago, when The Republican Party had high profile advocates who could legitimately be called intelligent conservatives. I rarely agreed with them, but they approached controversial issues with rational and respectful discourse.

Today, the lunatic fringe has taken over that party---infusing it with their personal religious beliefs, their personal hatreds, and a near-prideful contempt for intelligent thought and interaction.

"I'm right, you're wrong, and God is on my side, so you must be evil."

Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Hardly. This coming from a proud, patriotic American, but not one with delusions like that.
Quote:
Anyways the Republicans nominated Romney, and he's pretty moderate (for a modern Republican). So I'd say it isn't time to panic quite yet.

ELR, what nation has been freer?

When did Romney get the nomination? Ron Paul is still in it. Projected delegates are not secured delegates.

How ignorant can one (or two) be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies