Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,497,625 times

Advertisements

It's a damn shame. More wacko gun spree killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,497,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I carry when I'm in a church.
lol..Not much faith in the magic man in the sky.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So, in your mind, the Sikhs should give up Sikhism religion?
The turban is not an article of their faith as some would have you believe. It is merely a traditional way of restraining their hair as thier religion dictates they not cut or shave any hair.

Turbans came to be due to Sikhs involvment in the ancient Indian fabric dying industry. Their long hair needed containment from hanging into the dye vats so they used the readily available ragged strips cut off the end of a bolt of cloth in preparation for shipment to weave a net (turban) for their heads to hold their hair up out of the way.

While I was in the Canadian navy, a local watering hole used to be frequented by WWII veteran Sikhs who were employed as dockyard commisionaires (security guards) who would take their turbans off and leave them on a shelf by the door due to the bars regulations regarding the wearing of headcoverings indoors. They had the things wound and bobbypinned in such a manner that they could doff it at will, leaving their hair still contained within a hair net beneath.

So here they were removing their Turban and enjoying an alcoholic beveredge but still devout Sikhs. They have perpetrated this myth that the Turban is an article of their religion because it has suited them to do so.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
lol..Not much faith in the magic man in the sky.

Onward Christian Soldier!

Have you not heard? There has been a holy war going on for centuries.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Many people are commenting that Sikhs are attacked because they resemble muslims due to turban and beard. It means that if someone is muslim they can be attacked???? shameful!!!!! Violence because someone looks different or different color, religion has no place in US. its a tragic incident. I feel sorry for victims.
Seven killed in US gurdwara shooting, many trapped inside - The Times of India

Yeah -- they're not too overly politically correct. A couple comments:

Sikh people fail to understand the point of hair and turban. It was past. It was for fighting wars. We don't need it today. Grow up. You people are stuck in 16th century. People who shave their head and dont wear turban are equally doing well. What does that tell you?

The tragic news of shooting at a Gurdwara in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has shaken us. The Sikh community has become target of hate crime since 9/11, who are often mistaken to be Muslims because of their turban. Thank-you Bin-Laden. Thank-you Pakistan for harboring him for over 10 years.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
F40

826 posts, read 855,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I carry when I'm in a church.

I had my 1911 with me when I got married.

Not sure if serious

Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
alcohol is allowed in sikhism. mostly you will not see them smoking if they have turban/beard and also they avoid beef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The turban is not an article of their faith as some would have you believe. It is merely a traditional way of restraining their hair as thier religion dictates they not cut or shave any hair.

Turbans came to be due to Sikhs involvment in the ancient Indian fabric dying industry. Their long hair needed containment from hanging into the dye vats so they used the readily available ragged strips cut off the end of a bolt of cloth in preparation for shipment to weave a net (turban) for their heads to hold their hair up out of the way.

While I was in the Canadian navy, a local watering hole used to be frequented by WWII veteran Sikhs who were employed as dockyard commisionaires (security guards) who would take their turbans off and leave them on a shelf by the door due to the bars regulations regarding the wearing of headcoverings indoors. They had the things wound and bobbypinned in such a manner that they could doff it at will, leaving their hair still contained within a hair net beneath.

So here they were removing their Turban and enjoying an alcoholic beveredge but still devout Sikhs. They have perpetrated this myth that the Turban is an article of their religion because it has suited them to do so.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:15 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Would you like to say that to Sikhs without the turban, Bob?
There are some that do not tie turbans. I would guess mostly due to cultural practice and don't understand its place in the Sikhism religious identity or don't care. I certainly wouldn't question them and neither would other Sikhs, who would just pray for them to understand someday. I don't care either way, plus if some idiot wants to wear a cross or a Star of David, have at it. However, I do respect anyone to have whatever belief that helps them cope with their own insignificance. I am content with my insignificance.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Why, though should they stop a custom because of idiots who are intolerant of them? Aren't they free to wear what they wish to wear? This is the US, right? What if a terrorist attacked you because you were carrying a rosary or wearing a cross?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
The FBI just expanded the search to a home in Cudahy, WI apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies