Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM

396 posts, read 399,629 times

Advertisements

Geothermal energy will get the U.S. off our crude oil addiction. Iceland is proving geothermal energy works. Pro's and Con's. Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Geothermal energy will get the U.S. off our crude oil addiction. Iceland is proving geothermal energy works. Pro's and Con's. Your thoughts.
How do you get this geothermal energy in a car/truck/boat/whatever? I agree with what you're saying, but Iceland is tiny compared to the US. I say nuclear energy would be the best overall, even with the negative possibilities. Where is the Stanley Steamer when you really need it?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
How do you get this geothermal energy in a car/truck/boat/whatever? I agree with what you're saying, but Iceland is tiny compared to the US. I say nuclear energy would be the best overall, even with the negative possibilities. Where is the Stanley Steamer when you really need it?
I disagree w/ nuclear. Geothermal is more abundant than nuclear, which means geothermal is better on the wallet. How to get it in your car/truck/boat/whatever? How do the Icelandians do it?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
I'm all for creative ways to produce energy, but here is a "con" concerning Iceland's usage of the energy source:

"Iceland's geothermal power stations are worth a look, even though geothermal energy is a far from trouble-free source of power. The geothermal generators are built in areas where earthquakes are likely, and the steam is generally contaminated with minerals leached from the rock, which damage tubes and turbines. So they are not the principal power source for the island."

Iceland's hot rocks: In the middle of the spreading Atlantic is Iceland, a geological marvel with a rift valley, the original geyser and an energy supply that does not depend on burning carbon. Frederik Pohl reports - 19 February 1994 - New Scientist

Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Frederik Pohl reports - 19 February 1994 - New Scientist[/url]
Your article appears to be from 1994?! Outdated to say the least. Am I wrong?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Didn't GM make a car called the Geo for awhile?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Water Heatpump furnaces/air conditioners.
The hottest part of summer our electric bill was

Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Your article appears to be from 1994?! Outdated to say the least. Am I wrong?
Do you have a source showing the program has been expanded?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Geo-thermal does have some heating and electricity producing applications.

As for the case of completely replacing all petro use with geo-therm only -- that has some problems -- think of aircraft, for example.

But anything you can use to produce electricity can cover most of the rest of energy use -- lighting, A/C, heating, industrial and commercial applications, ground transportation -- those add up to most of our energy use.

Geo-therm produces electricity fairly well. The mineral clogging can resolved by heat exchangers. Downside is the easy sites to use are relatively few and far between. A current proposed method is (very) deep bore holes, but those are not cheap. Solar thermal is about the cheapest, and produces very easily during the day -- when most electricity is used.

But all of this is more of a money issue than a method issue. Presently the price to beat is coal fired electrical generation. (yeah, I know -- CO2, mercury, mining, radiation, and ash waste problems -- just talking price). Solar thermal is the only thing that I have found that can beat coal on price. Wind, maybe, but only maybe.

At first glance, Solar PV is about the most expensive, but in truth, Nukes are about the most expensive once you consider proper waste disposal.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
I disagree w/ nuclear. Geothermal is more abundant than nuclear, which means geothermal is better on the wallet. How to get it in your car/truck/boat/whatever? How do the Icelandians do it?

You get it into your (electric) car as electricity generated from the geothermal plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies