Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times

Advertisements

I've heard gun advocates argue against banning guns because people who want to get them, including criminals, will get them anyways. Well can't you make the same argument for drugs?

I can just as easily get any type of drug as I can get a gun. So why is it that some supporters of gun rights who use this particular argument oppose legalization of drugs?

Now I'm not talking about other arguments for gun rights, I'm talking about this particular argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Yes, but also as is with drugs, regulate an age and restrictions on which ones.

Marijuana, for instance, has never killed anyone. Much like a gun. What you do with them can and does kill people, but the gun, or the joint, doesn't kill people. The use of them also doesn't mean people will die.

But a drug like Meth is like chemical weapons. You use them, damage or death is coming.

So different weights on each ones. I think some drugs, like pot should be legal, but Meth? Or miniguns?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Anybody who doesn't realize we've lost the war on drugs has spent the last 25 years in a closet.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Of course --- the same guys who get you your pot and meth would be happy to add another product line. And then no forms to fill out - the black market won't require that.

The exact same cartels that bring tons of meth and pot and cocaine over the border every day can certainly bring weapons and ammunition.

Those who insist that Prohibition doesn't work obviously would have to see that it wouldn't work with ammunition.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
You can make the same argument for any banned illegal substance, just limiting the discussion to guns and drugs make no sense whatsoever....

Quote:
So why is it that some supporters of gun rights who use this particular argument oppose legalization of drugs?
So in the progressive liberal world one must have the exact same logic on everything?

Figures

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times
Yes it can be applied to both. Which is why I support having both legal and regulating them.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I've heard gun advocates argue against banning guns because people who want to get them, including criminals, will get them anyways. Well can't you make the same argument for drugs?

I can just as easily get any type of drug as I can get a gun. So why is it that some supporters of gun rights who use this particular argument oppose legalization of drugs?

Now I'm not talking about other arguments for gun rights, I'm talking about this particular argument.

Yes, it is a perfectly logical argument if you're high.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Let's put it this way: Anyone silly enough to think drug laws will stop people determined to break those laws will be silly enough to think gun laws will do the same.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Since I believe in the SCOTUS decision concerning the 2nd amendment that guns are an individual right subject to reasonable restrictions, then I must defer to the same logic for drugs. Banning guns in certain areas has not reduced gun crime and we all know that banning drugs has not reduced their usage. Both should be legal but subject to reasonable restrictions. Determining what constitutes reasonable restrictions is the fly in the ointment, though.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Yes it can and is a fact now. Often used by those wanting frug sales to collect taxes on them as justifcation. Actaully many things not allowed are common in this coutnry wity its freedoms. We also tried the same with alcohol and IMO to this day have huge numbers killed by alcohol besides lifes ruined. you can't stop people but I see no reason to use it has a revenue stream either.Child pron is common even if against the law ;as a example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies