Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh here we go, you Cons like to think that a smaller percentage of people that have these things must mean all poor people are rich and can afford whatever they want right now. Sorry if reality sucks, but we use to live in an era without these safety nets and our country did have children starving to death and large shanty towns in just about every city....but I guess it is easier for a Con to ignore history and pretend getting rid of things that prevent that and we somehow won't go back to those situations.
I don't ignore history. I just don't make the mistake of thinking that those starving children and shanty towns were just a few years ago. More like 200 years ago.

And you are wrong - the LARGER percentage of poor have those things. Dragging out the threat of an antiquated way of life for the poor just shows the desperation of the left. We will not go back to those situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
If we keep on with no jobs/low wages, the American Dream is dead. We need job creation and an economic environment that supports it. When people can stop grocery shopping with their next fuel tank fill up to get to work in mind, we will be on the right track.
Energy prices necessarily skyrocketing hasn't done it. Nor will it.
Time for change and bring back the American Dream that doesn't require people to check and see what government programs they are eligible for.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Obama is the living example of the American dream. Romney is a spoiled trust fund baby who's had every single door kicked down for him to stroll on through.
Who gave his inheritance to charity. The worked hard to make something of himself.

Obama schemed and lied his way through life. The only thing he works hard at is golfing.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Bribe a few politicians. Then convince gullible morons in Oklahoma and Arkansas that the biggest threat to their lives isn't a society where the really rich divide the country into peons and slave masters . . . but gay marriage and women who have abortions.
You obviously don't have the answer to my question. You said rich people hide income off shore using "off shore tax havens". I asked how they do that.

Try once again. How can somebody avoid taxes using off shore banks? I doubt that "gullible morons" in any city or state have anything to do with this issue.

Do you know anything about the US tax code?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Maybe if the poor actually paid attention to how Romney MADE and KEPT his money, they might be better off.

We could ALL learn from Romney getting his taxes cut. It's legal, and something millions of other home owner have done. My MIL did the same thing. She owns a modest home in CA, has been laid off a few times in the last few years, and is nearing retirement. Why pay for taxes that are based on more than your home is worth? That's just STUPID. But it shows the difference in mind set between the rich and poor. When it's your money, you take care to manage it well. When it's NOT your money, you spend as much as you want. GSA comes to mind.

Read "The Millionaire Next Door" when you get a chance. You'll not only learn a lot, but start to identify why the poor stay poor.

Correct. It's quite easy to spend other people's money. That's why the Dems have so many lemming voters. They love spending other people's money. And spending other people's money is the backbone of almost all government programs which are filled with waste and fraud.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Who gave his inheritance to charity. The worked hard to make something of himself.

Obama schemed and lied his way through life. The only thing he works hard at is golfing.
And he's not good at that either.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Maybe if the poor actually paid attention to how Romney MADE and KEPT his money, they might be better off.

We could ALL learn from Romney getting his taxes cut. It's legal, and something millions of other home owner have done. My MIL did the same thing. She owns a modest home in CA, has been laid off a few times in the last few years, and is nearing retirement. Why pay for taxes that are based on more than your home is worth? That's just STUPID. But it shows the difference in mind set between the rich and poor. When it's your money, you take care to manage it well. When it's NOT your money, you spend as much as you want. GSA comes to mind.

Read "The Millionaire Next Door" when you get a chance. You'll not only learn a lot, but start to identify why the poor stay poor.
If only everyone was born rich like good ol' Mittens.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
I don't ignore history. I just don't make the mistake of thinking that those starving children and shanty towns were just a few years ago. More like 200 years ago.

And you are wrong - the LARGER percentage of poor have those things. Dragging out the threat of an antiquated way of life for the poor just shows the desperation of the left. We will not go back to those situations.
Yeah, my point went over your head....I am saying those safety nets were put in place to prevent such things...and as for 200 years ago, try less like 100 years ago and even during the 30's and 40's. Before Central Park was constructed it was one big shanty town.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You obviously don't have the answer to my question. You said rich people hide income off shore using "off shore tax havens". I asked how they do that.

Try once again. How can somebody avoid taxes using off shore banks? I doubt that "gullible morons" in any city or state have anything to do with this issue.

Do you know anything about the US tax code?
Um tax lawyers the rest of us can't afford? I typed that real slowly so perhaps you can follow along. We hired a really high priced lawyer this year to look at our returns for the last two years. He charged us a thousand dollars -- and got us over six thousand in cash back from the government. That's a much better return than the fifty buck TurboTax program.

You really think people put money in the Caymans because they like Caymanese food? In Switzerland because they like the mountains?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Hardly. Only the stimulus was passed during the so-called 'technical' super majority, in your link. the ACA, aka Obamacare, was passed a year later, after the Republican, Scott Brown took Robert Kennedy's vacant Senate seat. The dems still had control. How else can it be explained that it passed?

Citing technical definitions only gets you so far. You know Ronald Reagan's famous recession/depression quote, right? So, much for technical definitions. Oh, and we can substitute Barack Obama for Jimmy Carter, right?

"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Six Months according to other people's counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies