Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times

Advertisements

Donovan - Universal Soldier - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Like I could find a scientific study? No, it's based on the military people I've known. Most of them are hardassed, unforgiving, aggressive people. Not big-hearted humanitarians.
So in other words, you don't have any hard evidence, just anecdotal. I have some anecdotal evidence too. Most members of the military whom I've know are decent people, don't like the idea of killing others any more than you do, and are in it for good reasons, not the least of which being the high ideals they believe this country represents. So now that my anecdotal evidence has successfully countered yours, I'll give you another chance to offer some hard evidence supporting your earlier claim. If you cannot provide said evidence, please have the decency to state clearly that you cannot find or produce any hard evidence to support your claim.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,178,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So in other words, you don't have any hard evidence, just anecdotal. I have some anecdotal evidence too. Most members of the military whom I've know are decent people, don't like the idea of killing others any more than you do, and are in it for good reasons, not the least of which being the high ideals they believe this country represents. So now that my anecdotal evidence has successfully countered yours, I'll give you another chance to offer some hard evidence supporting your earlier claim. If you cannot provide said evidence, please have the decency to state clearly that you cannot find or produce any hard evidence to support your claim.
So they are killing in the name of Manifest Destiny?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
So they are killing in the name of Manifest Destiny?
If you don't have any hard evidence to support your claim, please just say so. You made a statement, and you have been asked to support it with hard evidence. If you have none, please just be honest about it.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
If you don't have any hard evidence to support your claim, please just say so. You made a statement, and you have been asked to support it with hard evidence. If you have none, please just be honest about it.
What about the fact most troops supported the Republican Party until Obama, who is the most conservative democratic president, came into office?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm not going to admit anything that stupid.

I do support the troops. It's not their fault that we got snookered into Iraq, and stepped into a quagmire in Afghanistan.

Mankind is going to have to come up with a better solution than blowing up other human beings in the name of "freedom". Until then, I support the troops.
Same here..

Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
What about the fact most troops supported the Republican Party until Obama, who is the most conservative democratic president, came into office?
???

Look, I already am well-aware of your ability to side-step a question and fail to address a direct request for you to provide evidence to support a claim that you have made. You need not prove this further. Let's stick to the topic, since it is a topic you have introduced. Don't try to muddy the waters with questions that do not really relate to the claim. And in case you have forgotten, here is the claim to which I refer:

Quote:
If they truly believe it's a good cause, then yes I agree. But a lot of them just do it for the money, or the glory, or even because they're just violent people who want to be able to kill within the law.
Now, I will ask you again: Do you have any hard evidence to support this claim? If yes, please provide it. If no, please be honest and say so clearly.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,872 times
I don't hold anything against someone in a military uniform personally but I'm not going to go right behind them in a suicide mission. However, military service alone won't get you brownie points in my eyes. It doesn't necessarily give a person a better character in my experience. There are some people in the military who are genuinely in it for a noble cause; I can give them respect if they have earned it. I don't really support or oppose the troops.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
???

Look, I already am well-aware of your ability to side-step a question and fail to address a direct request for you to provide evidence to support a claim that you have made. Let's stick to the topic, since it is a topic you have introduced. Don't try to muddy the waters with questions that do not really relate to the claim. And in case you have forgotten, here is the claim to which I refer:

I can't give you the scientific evidence you asked, all I'm saying is I have disliked most of the military people I've come into contact with.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
I'm tried of hearing people, even self-professed pacifists, saying "I oppose the war but I still support the troops."

How does that even make sense? It's not the military leaders, or the President forcing our troops to pull the trigger. Sure, maybe they dupe them into believing they're doing the right thing to an extent.

Our troops are not fighting for 'our freedom' or to protect us from Muslims or pinkos or whatever people out there that 'hate us'. They are fighting to secure corporate interests, and to enrich the Empire.

The whole 'Support the Troops' meme is just a way that the powers that be have learned how to silence any real anti-war movement, by turning even pacifists into passive supporters of the war machine. People need to have some courage to say they don't support the troops. It didn't work as an excuse in Nuremberg, why should it work here?
I think it's the same as I support OWS but not the damages they have done to mnay pulbic areas or support protest but not the burning and looting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies