Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM

175 posts, read 113,266 times

Advertisements

By many accounts Republicans have opted to avoid handing President Obama any legislative victories by styming the progress they can, and demonizing the progress that they couldn't not (example: HealthCare reform).

Is this a fair characterization or is Republican opposition (in your opinion) principally motivated by ideological differences?

Regardless of how you answer the above question - how do you think (if at all) this will affect the upcoming Election Cycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
i think the repubicans are getting back to their roots of fiscal responsibility and smaller government. the health care fiasco, which most americans want repealed, the bailouts, and the excessive spending are all things the republicans want to curb. but the republicans are not just being obstructionist, they are also putting forth their plans for doing many of the same things the democrats want done, but in a less expensive and intrusive way. you dont hear about these things because the mainstream media wont report them because it doesnt fit their agenda.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Republicans seeking to obstruct President Obama's agenda are much like doctors working to obstruct disease. 60% of us understand this, are applauding, and can't wait for November.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Republicans seeking to obstruct President Obama's agenda are much like doctors working to obstruct disease. 60% of us understand this, are applauding, and can't wait for November.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
By many accounts Republicans have opted to avoid handing President Obama any legislative victories by styming the progress they can, and demonizing the progress that they couldn't not (example: HealthCare reform).

Is this a fair characterization or is Republican opposition (in your opinion) principally motivated by ideological differences?

Regardless of how you answer the above question - how do you think (if at all) this will affect the upcoming Election Cycle?

I think people are getting sick of President Skippy and the idiots in congress that are spending so much....yeah, I think it helps the republicans.

Honestly....when France and Britain are telling our prez to stop spending so much, you know there's an issue.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:

Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
The truth is both parties are awful and the only reason I want {R}s to win seats is it will cause gridlock.I do not know why the {R}s are so excited about the {R}s re gaining the House when the Boner will be back as speaker.Here is a couple of his ideas that the puke {R} base can rally behind:
Quote:
House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review today that he would support raising the Social Security retirement age to 70 to help pay for the war in Afghanistan.
There you go what a great conservative idea make Americans work longer to fight a war and fund the military -industrial complex.Just think if the war goes on longer the Boner will have us working until 80.And here:
Quote:
Boehner also criticized President Obama's proposal to revamp Wall Street, which is working its way through Congress. Boehner compared the measure to "killing an ant with a nuclear weapon."
This is unreal,myself and other conservatives have pointed out how weak this bill is,and here is the Boner saying they went to far?But the Boner is just sending signal to his bankster friends if the {R}s get control they will water down the reform more then it already is.
Lets hope I am right and we get gridlock where both parties are neutered.
House GOP leader John Boehner proposes raising age to collect Social Security - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com

Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think the repubicans are getting back to their roots of fiscal responsibility and smaller government. the health care fiasco, which most americans want repealed, the bailouts, and the excessive spending are all things the republicans want to curb. but the republicans are not just being obstructionist, they are also putting forth their plans for doing many of the same things the democrats want done, but in a less expensive and intrusive way. you dont hear about these things because the mainstream media wont report them because it doesnt fit their agenda.
Is FoxNews (who I think we can agree is also MSM) highlighting any of these Republican initatives and plans? (That's an honest question on my part, I don't watch Fox at all so I don't know).

Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
And so you all may take the House, or at least gain back some seats in both the House and Senate. But I guess what I'm wondering is then what? Can you really afford to sit on the sidelines for 2 more years after that? Can you afford to be perceived to be obstructing for 4 years and suffer no consequence?

I think even Jeb Bush on the heels of the Democrats 2008 victories said, "you can't beat something with nothing".

Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
It helps their cause, which is to prove government can't do anything right and to win elections to run that government, and prove it further.

It hurts the nation, because policies created as a result are so diluted that they lose their meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies