Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 AM

49 posts, read 38,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Graham: Just quickly, yes or no. If the Democrats stay where they are and if the President stays where he is, would you be willing to say, "Fine, if we can't reach a deal, taxes go up on everyone.'

Graham: I'm willing to do the Bowles-Simpson plan. Not one person who's looked at this in a bi-partisan way has said you need to raise tax rates. Bowles-Simpson says let's flatten the tax code, let's eliminate all tax deductions but two, take the money to pay down rates...

Crowley: But long term. That's sort of a long term thing. These cuts will expire...

Graham: I'm not gonna do a short term thing, that's stupid. It would be stupid, in an economy this weak to raise tax rates on a million small businesses at a time where they can't hire people.
Reading is for Snobs: Sen. Lindsey Graham: Raising Taxes on The Rich During a Recession is Stupid, Which is Why I'd Rather Vote to Raise Taxes On EVERYONE Instead

Video at the link.

As the article states, Republicans only care about middle and lower class tax cuts ONLY if they can tax cuts for the rich along with them. Otherwise, they'll happily kick them to the curb without hesitation.

Democrats get a lot of flak for supposedly wanting only looking after the poor, but as time goes on, more and more income brackets are going to be attacked by the GOP so that they can siphon more and more money to feed the rich. And that's just depressing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 AM

45,055 posts, read 26,215,504 times
Steal,it's what politicians of both parties do. All the class warfare rhetoric is just a distraction while their hand goes in your pocket.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,153,078 times
So, let me see if I have this straight, you don't want to treat ALL American citizens equally, you want to punish some for having the audacity to make money?

Additionally, the rich actually had a smaller tax cut than the rest of the people, it only APPEARED to be larger due to simple math.

If you pay 4K in taxes and get a 10% break, that's $400.00.

If someone pays 400K in taxes and gets a 2%, that's a break of $8000.00. So yes, the number itself appears larger, but the actual tax cut was 1/5th of the cut given to the first person, or an 80% smaller tax cut.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,180,949 times
Anyone remember a time when Miss Lindsey was considered "One of the Good Ones"?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,467,175 times
Sen. Graham said, he favors the "Bowles-Simpson plan." I'm with him on that.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,088,362 times
I agree, a tax cut for all or a tax cut for non. Non of this divisiveness, those who disagree sound poretty selfish. We are all Americans...

Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 AM

77,014 posts, read 47,365,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber123 View Post
Reading is for Snobs: Sen. Lindsey Graham: Raising Taxes on The Rich During a Recession is Stupid, Which is Why I'd Rather Vote to Raise Taxes On EVERYONE Instead

Video at the link.

As the article states, Republicans only care about middle and lower class tax cuts ONLY if they can tax cuts for the rich along with them. Otherwise, they'll happily kick them to the curb without hesitation.

Democrats get a lot of flak for supposedly wanting only looking after the poor, but as time goes on, more and more income brackets are going to be attacked by the GOP so that they can siphon more and more money to feed the rich. And that's just depressing.
Unfortunately I think the GOP will have their way and force tax hikes for everyone.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
Default unwinding the spin......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Unfortunately I think the GOP will have their way and force tax hikes for everyone.
Nice spin but that is the Democrat controlled Senate under Harry Reid pushing for across the board tax hikes. The GOP controlled US House bipartisanly passed a bill for extension of the current Obama signed tax rates for all.

Clue: see the financial cliff on January 1, 2013 and the Obama/Reid support for driving right over it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,419,512 times
I personally see no reason/evidence that these "tax cuts" had a significant impact. Therefore, due to deficient concerns, we should let all tax cuts expire.

I hope a proper impasse is formed so the right thing can be done. If you want to keep these tax cuts, you need to offset it. . .otherwise I won't miss the what? 1k a year maybe? Thats like less than what I spend at LIfetime Fitness. . .

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,419,512 times
Default progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I agree, a tax cut for all or a tax cut for non. Non of this divisiveness, those who disagree sound poretty selfish. We are all Americans...
Most countries impose what is called a "progressive" tax system. A tax system that rises substantially as a person income/salary/wealth increases. I can't say that "Americans are selfish" but I can say that Human beings want "fair"

This system, in every survey done, is deemed by the average tax payer to be the "most fair'. This then results in increased payment of taxes, more on time tax payments, higher government satisfaction, etc. When people think there government is fair, we all win.

Economical, the progressive system has little impact (either due to lower investment by rich and/or increased revenue) but you are buying a perception of fairness. That alone is worth it.

I would like to see these tax cuts expire, and a progressive tax system put in place in order to help to start to re-build faith in the us govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies