Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

488 posts, read 554,584 times

Advertisements

So I'm a bit confused by this article...

Quote:
...I thought I knew most everyone at Columbia. I certainly thought I’d heard of all of my fellow Political Science majors. But not Obama (or as he was known then- Barry Soetoro). I never met him. Never saw him. Never even heard of him. And none of the classmates that I knew at Columbia have ever met him, saw him, or heard of him...

Here’s my gut belief: Obama got a leg up by being admitted to both Occidental and Columbia as a foreign exchange student.
At first it seems as though he's claiming Obama never even attended school there, as he states neither he nor anybody he knew there ever met him. Then a few paragraphs later he gives us his "gut belief" that Obama attended school there as a foreign student. So which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nationality status.
As we have seen from Columbia's own website... wrong.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Then there is no problem release the records or tell your **** stick POS President to admit that call for Romney to release more tax records was wrong and misguided.
Tax records are not equal to college transcripts. Presidents including Bush have never released their college transcripts. (Bush's were leaked). Romney released his record from his freshman year in high school which also is not a college transcript. John McCain released his college rank, but not his transcript. John Kerry made his college transcript public only after he lost his election in 2004.

In the last 30 years, only McCain released two years of tax returns. Every other nominee has released at least 5 years worth of returns. Bob Dole released 30 years of returns. Romney's father released 12 years of returns. Obama released 7 years of returns in 2008 and has since released his more recent returns.

Btw, Barack Obama was called Barry, but he never used his stepfather's last name and his stepfather never adopted him. He used Barry Obama.

He did hang around with foreign students also mainly, it seems, because he was still not comfortable in his own skin.

There is a new bio out which talks more about his childhood, his college years and his struggle for identity. It talks about his smoking pot and the kids he hung out with as well.

A Future President Finds Himself In New Obama Bio : NPR

Both Obama and Romney are intelligent men if you go by how they speak and present themselves. While we have only his word for it, Obama has said his gpa at Columbia was 3.7. Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review, taught constitutional law, has two bestselling books to his credit.
Romney graduated from Brigham Young University with a 3.97 grade point average and was in the top 5% of his class at Harvard Business School, where he simultaneously earned a law degree.

Quote:
The Columbia website says foreign students need a student visa.
Most do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Does a U.S. citizen need a student visa?
Nope. Neither do foreign student with a green card, work visa or other permanent US residency.

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
.... he gives us his "gut belief"...
or something further down the digestive system.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
As we have seen from Columbia's own website...
The part where Columbia tells foreign applicants to apply for a student visa? Do U.S. citizens need a student visa to attend university in the U.S.?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
So I'm a bit confused by this article...

At first it seems as though he's claiming Obama never even attended school there, as he states neither he nor anybody he knew there ever met him. Then a few paragraphs later he gives us his "gut belief" that Obama attended school there as a foreign student. So which is it?
It's both of course. That is actually # 7 on the list of "The Ten Key Characteristics of Nut-Job Conspiracy Theorists"

Quote:
7. Simultaneous contradictory beliefs.

Nut-jobs often imagine at the same time and even in the same sentence that (for example) they are fighting forces which are both super-humanly brilliant and powerful … and completely incompetent.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
This whole discussion reminds me of Wayne Allyn Root emails that I get from conservative family members.

On one hand, Root claims nobody, including himself ever knew Obama.

On the other hand, Root knows for a fact that Obama wants to destroy the country with his Marxist agenda.

You can't have it both ways. Yet another reason Romney loses in November. Obviously, Romney is not Root, but if you don't think all this birther/Muslim/Marxist crap is a huge turnoff to a lot of independents, think again.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
The Columbia website says foreign students need a student visa. Does a U.S. citizen need a student visa?
I didn't dig through the Columbia website, but it's very possible that when they have American students who've spent most of their life abroad, they may provide some of the international support services to those students that they provide to foreign nationals--you're right--they wouldn't request a visa, but they could put them into some of the support programs. I can't see where they would even consider it unless they had an American student who had never lived in the US. It could be things like initially putting them with an academic advisor that deals with foreign students and understands the challenges they might face, or programs that help foreign students acclimate to American culture. I've taught a few classes at a small college here (part time instructor) and I know they provide English as a Second language support for some, and cultural assimilation information for all of them. They have picnics and organize fun activities for the international students so they can get to know each other, and they help them understand the culture and language/slang better so they'll have a better college experience. It's nothing that would give them any kind of advantage over American students (not like the birthers are trying to claim). It's more to help the kids fit in.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The part where Columbia tells foreign applicants to apply for a student visa?
No. The part where Columbia's website says that being an international student has nothing to do with your citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Do U.S. citizens need a student visa to attend university in the U.S.?
Asked and answered several times. If you want a different answer, you need to ask a different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies