Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairnessIsGlorious View Post
We Should Raise The Minimum Wage to $115,000 per Year And Reduce The Workweek to Just 20 Hours
Good idea.

While we're at it, we need a maximum allowable wage for CEOs who don't create an American job for every job they outsource overseas.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
To the OP: You shouldn't cut and paste from another website without citing it. After all, it's not "FAIR" to use the fruits of another's labor.

For those interested, here's where the OP found this dandy idea.

Forum Post: SOLUTION: Raise the minimum wage to $115,000 per year | OccupyWallSt.org
Bingo.

I didn't think that was all original, but my cursory search didn't find it.

OWS, eh? LOL Now it makes sense.

/thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
To the OP: You shouldn't cut and paste from another website without citing it. After all, it's not "FAIR" to use the fruits of another's labor.

For those interested, here's where the OP found this dandy idea.

Forum Post: SOLUTION: Raise the minimum wage to $115,000 per year | OccupyWallSt.org

Thanks for posting the source. Once again...the solution should be pretty simple. The OWS whiners should simiply start their own businesses and pay their employees what they propose. I mean, how hard can that be? Must be easier than living in your own filth, sleeping in tents and demonstrating your ingnorance, right?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM

103 posts, read 64,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No. When McDonalds has to pay workers 100k they need to bring in a lot more revenue. So you would have $35 cheeseburgers.

The small minority you plan to take wages from would have negligible impact.

The subject of this thread should come from the mouth of a Miss Teen USA contestant when asked what they would do for America.
So either the BEA's economic data is wrong or you have figured out a magical way to inflate the economy beyond $14.5 trillion by spending only $14.5 trillion. Which is it?

For the record, you can have changes in prices without having inflation. Prices will be different since people are getting paid differently. Some prices will go up, but that will be fully offset by other prices going down. However, since total expenses remain exactly the same, since we are paying out the same exact total income, prices on average will remain the same.

If your hamburger costs go up $3000 per year, that would be offset by something else going down in price $3000 per year that people buy as often as hamburgers.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearNight View Post
By your analogy...
Your reply failed in the first three words, so I didn't bother with the rest. Maybe you meant to reply to someone else - dunno. Anyway, there wasn't an analogy in the post you replied to.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM

103 posts, read 64,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So you're basically saying that the fruits of the last 4+ years of 12-15 hour days that I've put into growing my business are not only null and void, but that you want me to continue to work that hard for the same salary that a part time burger flipper makes?

They're planning a trip to your home planet soon - you should see if you can hitch a ride.

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...e-mission.html
You are guaranteed a job that pays $115k. If you would rather spend your day building someone else's business idea, you can work for someone else. If you want to spend your day building your own idea and if your idea is feasible, you can get paid $115k building your own company with the potential of making up to $460k if you are successful at it.

That is likely a much better deal than what you are getting now. There is a 97% chance you are getting exploited today.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
It is explained in the post.

A fair pay is paying 100% of our income to workers since they are responsible for 100% of our production and since the whole point of income is to motivate people to work and work hard, differences in income will be limited to only what is necessary to get people to do undesirable jobs and get people to give their maximum effort in performance based jobs.
I agree that 100% of income should go to the workers. That is how things work now. Some of the income goes to people on a factory line (working on constructing a product), some of the income goes to supervisors (working on optimizing the line process as a whole), some of the income goes to strategic planning (working on insuring the company has a viable future 1, 5, 10 years out), some of the income goes the the CEO (working on insuring there is enough investment coming in, and working on mitigating risks the company takes while maximizing income potential).

The pay is proportioned by difficulty of the job as well as risk taken on the job. Again...we already have a system that pays fairly.

Quote:
We can't predict what the exact final plan will be. But what we can predict is that you will not come up with any valid scientific study that says we need to pay people much more than twice the amount as everyone else in order to get them to do undesirable jobs or that we need to pay people much more than four times the amount as everyone else in order to get them to give their maximum effort in performance based jobs.
Tell me, if I said you could sit in a chair and count stuffed bears coming off of a product line for 20 hours per week for $115k per year, or you could work 90 hours per week constructing complex financial and mathematical models which, if you are wrong, will result in hundreds of people losing their jobs for the same pay, which would you choose?

Quote:
There is nothing fair about the "wage you can get on your own." The wage you can get on your own depends on your bargaining power, not on how hard you work or how much value you provide. If you have no bargaining power, and roughly 97% don't since 97% make a below average income, you will be exploited. That is unfair.
The ONLY fair wage is what you can prove you deserve. If you sit on your a** and do nothing all day, you deserve to make no money. If you can add significant value to a company, you deserve to make more money. The only truly fair income system is one in which you are only paid for performance. No income is guaranteed, you have no salary, and you are only paid based on what you produce.

The percentage of people who make 'below average income' is meaningless...immaterial to this conversation. Everyone has bargaining power. Research a company. Study an industry and put together proposals that proves you can add value to a company. Present that, and you will get a better job which pays more money.

With all due respect, you seem to want to make a high salary without actually working for it. That is the farthest thing from what I want for my country.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 PM

187 posts, read 196,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Good idea.

While we're at it, we need a maximum allowable wage for CEOs who don't create an American job for every job they outsource overseas.

All the talk about tax by the politicians is a smokescreen.

1) We know money disappears wherever the cookie jar is not bolted shut by 20 gaurds and then you need gaurds for the gaurds...thats the culture. DT hires people to watch check the people who watch check the doe....hes smart.

2) Tax's are an excuse for an arguement and disagreement , designed to fool the hard working lower and middle class...its a trick

3) The ONLY thing that will work is a regulation, a salery cap. Nothing else will do when every single person basically wants a billion dollars..thats the hero cookie. There must be across the board caps....a surgeon who works 50 hours a week , should under NO CIRCUMSTANCES make less then an athelete or all that other nonsense...movie stars ok are renting their malibu homes out for 250,000 a month....Leonardo and P Brosnan.....how can a movie star have a place for rent that a surgeon basically would not go to the expence for on a vacation? its gone way past reasonable...the culture is a joke period....A bus driver could buy a home 35 years ago and the wife even stay at home....now the wife could be a phamicist, the husband a school teacher and they cannot afford the bus drivers home in a nice neighborhood...why..? because the homes are being held onto where they could be sold for true value...25% of market.....thats the deal...across the board all reality 75% too high....a 2002 scottsdale sale I was looking at today....sold 250,000 in 2002....now they want...1,250,000.....so give me a break with the greed , the market, the culture and the rip off that has been going on for 25 years...the generation has been caught red handed including sneaking 13 trillion in off shore investment.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Why stop at 115k?

Why not make the minimum wage $10million so we are all SUPER wealthy?

I mean seeing as how this isn't going to cause inflation....lol.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You are guaranteed a job that pays $115k. If you would rather spend your day building someone else's business idea, you can work for someone else. If you want to spend your day building your own idea and if your idea is feasible, you can get paid $115k building your own company with the potential of making up to $460k if you are successful at it.

That is likely a much better deal than what you are getting now. There is a 97% chance you are getting exploited today.
Please read my posts before replying to them, if you're going to reply at all.

Maybe you did, and you're simply unable to comprehend the words... OR, maybe you can't defend your idiotic idea in the face of such a simple and common story, and you understand (although I doubt it) just how horrifically insulting it is to those of us who have actually taken the risks and put in the time to turn an idea into a successful business.

Wait.. Why am I arguing with a bona fide OWS clown?

Those OWS morons are a lost cause. Somewhere along the lines, their parents ROYALLY screwed them up, and for whatever reason, they simply can't deal with reality. They all want an $80k job with a corner office, right out of college. Nobody taught them that they have to EARN those things, and simply existing doesn't count toward that.

At least they're nice and obvious about how messed up they are. Makes it real easy to avoid them when looking for new employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies