Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
This conservative loves freedom. I love the freedom to walk about town without my eyes being assaulted by freakish behavior. I love freedom of children to go about town without having to worry about public indecency. I love the freedom to relax my own eyes without having to constantly look away from half-naked women in my face. Etc.

The public square belongs to everyone, not just the ghouls.
I love the freedom to walk about town and see freakish behavior. I love the freedom to have half-naked women in my face.

It appears that our freedoms are at an impasse

Why do your freedoms trump my freedoms and the freedom of people to wear their pants how they want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Quote:
This conservative loves freedom. I love the freedom to walk about town without my eyes being assaulted by freakish behavior. I love freedom of children to go about town without having to worry about public indecency. I love the freedom to relax my own eyes without having to constantly look away from half-naked women in my face. Etc.

The public square belongs to everyone, not just the ghouls.
So your idea of freedom is the ability to force other people to live their lives by your standards?

The bolded quote is just downright scary. That is the same justification that religious fundamentalists use to force women to wear burqas, not be allowed to work or attend school and to be murdered by the state after they are raped. It is a more polite version of the "**** deserved it for wearing that skirt" approach to gender relations.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I love the freedom to walk about town and see freakish behavior. I love the freedom to have half-naked women in my face.

It appears that our freedoms are at an impasse

Why do your freedoms trump my freedoms and the freedom of people to wear their pants how they want?
You nailed it. Either your freedom trumps mine, or mine trumps yours. We can't have both. Which freedom should win?

Freedom of - and for -the good should win. Bring on the culture wars.

This really proves the inadequacy of "freedom" as some kind of absolute standard. Freedom meant something when society had more or less a common understanding of the good. But now that we have a totally broken society, with competing and mutually exclusive conceptions of the good, the idea of "freedom" is rhetorically useless.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 08-07-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
So your idea of freedom is the ability to force other people to live their lives by your standards?
That's everyone's idea of freedom to some extent. There is no freedom for "A" without restraint for "B".

Quote:
The bolded quote is just downright scary. That is the same justification that religious fundamentalists use to force women to wear burqas ...
So, in your liberal feminist mind, this:

.... is no different from this:

The lost art of fine distinctions.

Quote:
It is a more polite version of the "**** deserved it for wearing that skirt" approach to gender relations.
Well, let's be honest: women who dress in a sexually provocative way attract certain kinds of men and provoke certain reactions in them. That doesn't excuse or justify rape: but it does mean that female behavior can either invite mischief or invite decency.

It's up to you, ladies. What kind of men do you want in your life? The way you dress sends a message.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What if I wear my pants up but go commando?

it's still only one layer of fabric between my ass and your eyes
Great point.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
If we made them all loggers the pants would come up fast.....

I for sure would not hire any fool who wore his pants in that manner.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
How many times have we seen police videos of blacks being chased one hand holding up their pants and then trip and fall on one of their pants-legs and their face have a meeting with the concrete/asphalt?

I hope the ACLU's efforts succeed, I don''t want to see these hilarious video's go away....

Old 08-07-2012, 04:23 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
That's everyone's idea of freedom to some extent. There is no freedom for "A" without restraint for "B".

So, in your liberal feminist mind, this:

.... is no different from this:

The lost art of fine distinctions.

Well, let's be honest: women who dress in a sexually provocative way attract certain kinds of men and provoke certain reactions in them. That doesn't excuse or justify rape: but it does mean that female behavior can either invite mischief or invite decency.

It's up to you, ladies. What kind of men do you want in your life? The way you dress sends a message.
Oh man, the babe in blue is HOT HOT HOT....

Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What does it matter to you what someone else chooses to wear.
Really, we're going to legislate what people can wear?
Are women going to be told to cover up completely?
It's a slippery slope.

Chielgirl, I never stated that I agreed or disagreed with the ruling. I expressed my opinion that I for one can't stand to see it. Should the government get involved with mandating American's attire? No.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am utterly unbothered by saggy pants. I dont care and for me it doesnt refelect at all on the wearer....unless their pants are so saggy they keep falling down then its funny and sad because a person who isnt s m r t enough to wear pants that wont fall down doesnt really have much prospects. (by down I mean fall off...like to the floor... yea ive seen that).

That being said, I have a good friend who is African American. When he sees a kid wearing saggy pants, he goes bullistic. It makes him nuts. LOL. its kind of funny to see him loose his mind over it... but I get what he is saying...
Everytime I see some idiot with their pant crotch at knee level, I get an overwhelming urge to kick them squarely in the buttocks and then run away. Just so I can watch them fall flat on their face when they try to run after me.

If they are trying to make a statement I am not getting it. The only thing it tells me is that the guy is a moron who did not learn to dress properly as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies