Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,347,119 times

Advertisements

The American Civil Liberties Union is fighting a plan to ban saggy pants in Hinds County.

The group plans a Monday protest against a ban proposed by Hinds County Supervisor Kenneth Stokes. The protest precedes a public hearing on the proposed law.

The civil liberties group says such bans unfairly target black men and are unconstitutional restrictions of freedom of expression. Though proponents of the ban say such low-riding pants are indecent, the ACLU says no one is harmed by the clothing style.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A...an-3759871.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,480,404 times
Must be a slow time of year for them!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,552,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The American Civil Liberties Union is fighting a plan to ban saggy pants in Hinds County.

The group plans a Monday protest against a ban proposed by Hinds County Supervisor Kenneth Stokes. The protest precedes a public hearing on the proposed law.

The civil liberties group says such bans unfairly target black men and are unconstitutional restrictions of freedom of expression. Though proponents of the ban say such low-riding pants are indecent, the ACLU says no one is harmed by the clothing style.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A...an-3759871.php

Honestly, I can't stand to see ANYONE walking around showing their drawers. What exactly does one need express by showing their underwear?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,054,854 times
Why not just start a collection drive and get em belts?? lol

Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
1. Politicians can certainly find a better way to use their time.
2. The ACLU can certainly find a better way to use their time.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,552,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why not just start a collection drive and get em belts?? lol

won't work, they actually have a belt on, its just around their butt.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,753,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Honestly, I can't stand to see ANYONE walking around showing their drawers. What exactly does one need express by showing their underwear?
It is widely debated but I'll go with the prison ass for sale theory....

wearing ones pants around the hips so that they sag down and bunch up around the ankles. Originally, this was a prison thing that signified that you were another prisoner's property, ie *****. Punks were forced to wear their pants this way so it would be easier for their masters to pull their pants down and butt-fug them
Urban Dictionary: sagging

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM

20,496 posts, read 12,428,819 times
I am utterly unbothered by saggy pants. I dont care and for me it doesnt refelect at all on the wearer....unless their pants are so saggy they keep falling down then its funny and sad because a person who isnt s m r t enough to wear pants that wont fall down doesnt really have much prospects. (by down I mean fall off...like to the floor... yea ive seen that).

That being said, I have a good friend who is African American. When he sees a kid wearing saggy pants, he goes bullistic. It makes him nuts. LOL. its kind of funny to see him loose his mind over it... but I get what he is saying...

Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,718,244 times
I actually agree with the ACLU. I think sagging pants are stupid and people shouldn't be surprised if they get treated differently when wearing them like that, but what sort of precedent does it set if the government is allowed to say how you can wear your clothes?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,224,414 times
Just because you don't like the clothes that someone wears, do you think the government has the right to ban them? You call yourself conservatives and you call that small government? As long as everything is covered up and you're not running around nekked, it's nobody's business if the top of some idiot's underpants are showing above the waist of his pants. It looks dumb, but it's not my right or yours to have a government run fashion police.

The only reason any of you could possibly be opposed to this is because the ACLU--who's sole purpose is to defend the constitution--supports it. How the ACLU got painted as a liberal group I'm not sure, but they support the constitutional rights of citizens on both sides of the aisle equally.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-07-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies