Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,158,628 times

Advertisements

I do watch Jon Stewart from time to time if I am passing the tube between the living room and kitchen.

Actually Niccolo Machiavelli's, "The Prince" is one of my all time favorite books. I literally keep a copy on the coffee table. Oddly enough, I don't even disagree with all of the views held by the neoconservative Platonist, only their method of implementation. I share and see the wisdom of much of Plato's works even if he was a quintessential pessimist. Heck, you can even find that Platonic view in the words of Winston Churchill when he said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". Sometimes I find it too hard to argue to even bother trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,069,843 times
Obviously well read, THt.

I was just searching for the title of a book by Katzanskatis (apparently OoP) in which he said, I have no hope, I have no fear, I am forever free. One of the few quotes I remember and remind myself of regularly.

I only saw a clip from the Stewart interview; the two were laughing, but Mr. Hardball didn't appreciate Stewart's failure to appreciate, yes, let's say the art of illusion.

PS - Seek and thee shall find: The book title is Toda Raba. It is apparently obscure as it took me pages and pages to find it. A wonderful book about, yes, trying to find myself in a battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I do watch Jon Stewart from time to time if I am passing the tube between the living room and kitchen.

Actually Niccolo Machiavelli's, "The Prince" is one of my all time favorite books. I literally keep a copy on the coffee table. Oddly enough, I don't even disagree with all of the views held by the neoconservative Platonist, only their method of implementation. I share and see the wisdom of much of Plato's works even if he was a quintessential pessimist. Heck, you can even find that Platonic view in the words of Winston Churchill when he said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". Sometimes I find it too hard to argue to even bother trying.

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-04-2007 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Obviously well read, THt.

I was just searching for the title of a book by Katzanskatis (apparently OoP) in which he said, I have no hope, I have no fear, I am forever free. One of the few quotes I remember and remind myself of regularly.

I only saw a clip from the Stewart interview; the two were laughing, but Mr. Hardball didn't appreciate Stewart's failure to appreciate, yes, let's say the art of illusion.

PS - Seek and thee shall find: The book title is Toda Raba. It is apparently obscure as it took me pages and pages to find it. A wonderful book about, yes, trying to find myself in a battle.
Kazantzakis would have probably admired Kierkegaard's views on Plato. He seems to be a most interesting individual torn by the dualistic nature of man, one where the struggle is more important than the result maybe?

"It isn't Russia that interests me, but the flame consuming Russia. Amelioration of the fate of the masses or of the elite; happiness, justice, virtue: these things that lure so many people do not catch me."

I found a place that has Toda Raba for like 6 bucks, I may have to pick up a copy.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 PM

I believe there is at least one, perhaps several books reviewing Kazantzakis' philosophy, one comparing him to Nietzsche. And didn't Kierkegaard do an interesting update on the Symposium? Or am I fantasizing now that it is growing late.

And yes the struggle, not necessarily more important, but equally challenging.

If you do get the Todo Raba, and read it during our online life together, I'd like to hear what you think of it. I was in a peculiar state of mind when I read that book and in a peculiar state of mind now.

Quote:
Kazantzakis would have probably admired Kierkegaard's views on Plato. He seems to be a most interesting individual torn by the dualistic nature of man, one where the struggle is more important than the result maybe?

"It isn't Russia that interests me, but the flame consuming Russia. Amelioration of the fate of the masses or of the elite; happiness, justice, virtue: these things that lure so many people do not catch me."

I found a place that has Toda Raba for like 6 bucks, I may have to pick up a copy.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And yes the struggle, not necessarily more important, but equally challenging.

If you do get the Todo Raba, and read it during our online life together, I'd like to hear what you think of it. I was in a peculiar state of mind when I read that book and in a peculiar state of mind now.
I have to laugh when I think back to a comment you made a while back about an eternal state of revolution. Trotsky light, but perhaps less Straussian and more Socratic.

Yeah, I am making up my winters book list and am still trying to find an affordable publisher for my own musings, so I will most definitely add this to the list which should get me to the middle of Jan. thus far.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Well, enjoy those quiet hours of reading. And I like musings, as you probably have figured out, and have a stack of winter reads, and a write, too!

'Night!

Quote:
I have to laugh when I think back to a comment you made a while back about an eternal state of revolution. Trotsky light, but perhaps less Straussian and more Socratic.

Yeah, I am making up my winters book list and am still trying to find an affordable publisher for my own musings, so I will most definitely add this to the list which should get me to the middle of Jan. thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies