Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
Regardless of your thoughts on Sarah Palin, she didn't cost Senator McCain the election. At worst, she didn't help, but it wasn't as if he was doing well prior to the pick. His poll numbers went up after the announcement and they briefly even passed the Obama/Biden team in some polls. Fundraising also saw a great increase after her entrance into the race. The economic downturn of September and October as well as being the Republican nominee following an unpopular Bush presidency is ultimately what cost him the election.
It was a cumulative situation and Palin was part of the problem.

I honestly think that voice of hers would be a good idea to implement as "soft torture" at Gitmo.

Wait - that's inhumane. Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I think Romney is smart enough not to pick someone that is not eligible for the Office.
I don't know...people don't seem all that concerned about such pesky little details.

Besides that, why do you think he's ineligible? Under what law?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Aaahhh, so this is the worst decision in history. I was wondering what the worst political decision could be, but now we know. I thought Roe vs Wade, or Social Security Act, or creation of the Fed, and Vietnam and Iraq wars were bad, but this one is certainly much worse. I mean, what could be worse than letting Carter give a speech no one can hear?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-08-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
when it comes to democrats, carter comes across as smart
He was educated in the Plains public schools, attended Georgia Southwestern College and the Georgia Institute of Technology, and received a B.S. degree from the United States Naval Academy in 1946. In the Navy he became a submariner, serving in both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets and rising to the rank of lieutenant. Chosen by Admiral Hyman Rickover for the nuclear submarine program, he was assigned to Schenectady, N.Y., where he took graduate work at Union College in reactor technology and nuclear physics, and served as senior officer of the pre-commissioning crew of the Seawolf, the second nuclear submarine.
Jimmy Carter - Biography

I'd be willing to match his IQ with yours, bro. Just sayin'.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Carter's done a lot of good work with habitat for humanity but the man was the worst president in living memory and few people will argue that point. Are they trying to remind people that Obama doesn't hold that distinction?
Your "living memory" is extremely short to say the least, maybe you were born in the last decade.

Carter has continued to be a spokesman for the US on foreign affairs and is viewed as a man of integrity by other nations.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Its a great move to portray the Democratic party as a unified front that is still true to its traditional Democratic values. It will put the GOP convention in bad light and show how much disarray Republicans are in with the former GOP two term President passing on the convention.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
If I may step out of character for a moment, Jimmy Carter has had his reputation tarnished by the other side, but history will likely look upon his presidency much kinder than the mantra the GOP trots out on a regular basis. He cut deficits, effected a sound energy policy, and created the most significant and strongly-held peace accord in the Middle East. He's also the reason we can brew our own beer at home. He did make make some bad decisions, like boycotting the 1980 Olympics, but overall he's far from the worst president of the past 50 years (I can think of two or three others who enjoy that distinction).

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
In what world is this a good decision?

Obama is compared to Carter, and Carter got destroyed in his second term election during "The Malaise".

Jimmy Carter to speak by video at Dem convention

Obama is, after all, Jimmy Carter II. I think it was an excellent decision.

You will have two failed presidents who see "eye to eye" on how to economically destroy the nation. However, everyone already knows that Obama is bad for the economy. Like Carter before him, he will be a one term president due to these failures.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
In what world is this a good decision?

Obama is compared to Carter, and Carter got destroyed in his second term election during "The Malaise".

Jimmy Carter to speak by video at Dem convention
And don't forget Elizabeth Warren form, "I am an Indian" fame.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Could they be having trouble getting anyone to speak?

I think choosing Rubio would be a gigantic mistake. Talk about a train wreck. That would be one. He needs to choose a Southern VP. Florida is not Southern. And if he keeps courting the Hispanic vote, he will end up losing those that are for him now. Romney was ahead in the polls until he started courting the Hispanics.
"Could they be having trouble getting anyone to speak?" Hell, they are having trouble getting other dem politicians to attend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies