Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Biggest crock I've read yet. Who George Jefferson? Thomas Jefferson grew tobacco as did most farmers in his day. you wouldn't have a U.S. if it wasn't for tobacco.
Which part is a crock, you mean all that science nonsense? I don't have anything against tobacco, and Jeffersonian political philosophy as applied today would be in disagreement with the "right" to poison the public at your leisure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Second-hand smoke has been definitively linked to asthma exacerbation and an increase in coronary artery disease, and cities that implement smoking bans see a decrease in coronary events. Smoke has a direct inflammatory effect on coronary arteries, which may not trigger an instant heart attack but contributes to coronary artery disease. "Third-hand" smoke might not have such a direct effect, but is has some effect.
Quote:
Asthma cases in the United States have risen 12.3 percent since 2001, and nearly one in 12, or almost 25 million Americans, are stricken with the chronic respiratory disease, the government said Tuesday.

But officials say they do not understand why more people are getting asthma, especially when fewer Americans are smoking and the nation is taking steps to cut back on air pollution.
"Despite the fact that outdoor air quality has improved, we've reduced two common asthma triggers -- second-hand smoke and smoking in general -- asthma is increasing," said Paul Garbe, chief of CDC's Air Pollution and Respiratory Health Branch.
AFP: Nearly 1 in 12 in US have asthma: study

And again:

Quote:
The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality
Environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality in a prospective study of Californians, 1960-98 | BMJ

Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Which part is a crock, you mean all that science nonsense? I don't have anything against tobacco, and Jeffersonian political philosophy as applied today would be in disagreement with the "right" to poison the public at your leisure.
The whole post.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
What about the smoke in our White House?

Well the smokes probably not that harmful but the smoker sure is.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

He has to smoke in the WH now, it helps to cover up the foul odor left from the previous occupant.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
A family member asked why I don't come over. I finally told them its because they smoke in the house. They go outside when someone is there and 'air the place out' before. But its still got walls coated with the crap. I get a headache in their house with the smoke sludge.

People who smoke should change their clothes and wash before they'll be in a crowd especially. And if I had a kid and the kid had a problems since someone smoked their clothes, I'd think it was only fair they pay for the doctor visit.

I support VERY high taxes on tabacco, all of which goes to health care, especially for non-smokers.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I wonder when this will break down and the mechanics in life people go to will be banned for toxins on their uniforms and body/hair?

Maybe then techs will get real pay.. i can't think of any other job that gets you in contact with more smokes and chemicals than being a car tech.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And I would love a ban on DEA/ATF. We don't need either of them.

Well, why the hell not ban tobacco? After all, they've been teaching our kids in school that it's a drug, just like heroin and cocaine and alcohol for years. I've got adult grandkids who were taught that in kindergarten. That age group can now vote, so is it surprising that some of them have been brainwashed into fearing anything about tobacco?

And, yes, we could do without the DEA (I'm not so sure about the ATF, though they could drop the "T.") We could also do without the NHTSA, TSA, NAFTA, CAFTA, the DOEd and a whole list of other acronyms.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I can't stay in a hotel room other than a smoke free room. And I check the room and smell it.. I have left some places because I couldn't find a decent smelling room. It gives me a headache if I smell the smoke in any room.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

I had to laugh at Obama because he was for a clean environment and smoked. Huh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies