Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times

Advertisements

This stuff amazes me. Supposedly 2nd hand smoking is as bad as smoking an actual cigarette too?

Anyways, I have asthma and if crap like this is true, I've been smoking for over 20 years. Not actually smoking just having parents and relatives who smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I had to laugh at Obama because he was for a clean environment and smoked. Huh!!
I have a picture of Obama smoking, but I bet a google search could still turn one up.. If you want it let me know. It's on my hd, but not in photobucket.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I can't stay in a hotel room other than a smoke free room. And I check the room and smell it.. I have left some places because I couldn't find a decent smelling room. It gives me a headache if I smell the smoke in any room.
What kind of a headache? I am wondering it this is a trigger for you, and why I came back. if at all possible try breathing O2 next time. Bottled is best but welders tanks will do... if not that cold fresh air. You breath deeply, hold it for apx 3 seconds sob you don';t get winded, and exhale.

I out grew what is called cluster headaches, but i also weld and the fumes can cause headaches. o2 is the key and all it takes is apx 30 minutes. It is important to start as soon as you can tell one is coming on..

Beats any sort of meds hands down IF it works for you.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
He has to smoke in the WH now, it helps to cover up the foul odor left from the previous occupant.

Oh yeah, Clinton and those nasty "dipped" cigars.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
The only thing the first article says is that there is an increase in asthma despite a decrease in smoking. It acknowledges the well-known fact that smoke is an asthma trigger. All it means is that there is another asthma trigger that is causing an increase, or that there is something in the environment that is making children more susceptible to asthma triggers like smoke. As for the BMJ, one study found no increased mortality in those living with smokers. However, subsequent BMJ studies, along with countless studies in stacks of peer-reviewed scientific literature, create a wealth of evidence that second hand smoke has deleterious health effects.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This is ridiculous...........

Now scientists are finding that third hand smoke, which is the fumes that come off somebody who has smoked elsewhere, can have a negative impact on your health, as well as our children's health.

"There's evidence now that third-hand smoke is a risk factor in children like chronic ear infections and chronic respiratory infections. And if your clothes reek of smoke, your hair reeks of smoke...your little child is going to get an asthma attack, more than likely," Edelman said.

More than likely my arse.

Avoiding third-hand smoke - New Orleans Local News, Weather, Sports, Investigations
Oh yes .. and in New Orleans of all places ... Sounds like someone has too much time on their hands .. ... while they're at it, they better write a paper on the overall health benefits of second hand fart odors too .. I mean, the methane can cause quite a bit of harm you know, and it might affect bubba, who lives in the next county, causing him to have a heart attack or something.

I'm not seeing these nimrods winning the nobel prize anytime soon ..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wow. A lot of people here sure are afraid of science.
um .. no .. we just like to laugh at the people who come up with this sort of tripe that's all.

Case in point .. they inject a laboratory rat with saccharin at 6,000+ times the amount of which a normal human would injest throughout his or her entire lifetime for an entire year, and the rat develops cancer ..

I don't need to tell you what happened to saccharin do I? ..

There's your science ... heh .. that kind of science, and the people who write it, just screams to be laughed at ..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Data has a liberal bias.
Accurate data of course has no bias, the issue becomes have you present it. Usually when something sounds fishy it is, here is just one recent example I can you give of many. A spokesman for the teacher union in my sate wrote an article in the paper claiming that teacher pensions on average were $40K however that includes all teachers no matter when they retired or how many years of service they retired with.

Accurate? Yes. Honest? No.

The manipulation of numbers and there presentation is an age old game, it's very easy to present accurate information without context to support your point of view.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:41 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well, why the hell not ban tobacco? After all, they've been teaching our kids in school that it's a drug, just like heroin and cocaine and alcohol for years. I've got adult grandkids who were taught that in kindergarten. That age group can now vote, so is it surprising that some of them have been brainwashed into fearing anything about tobacco?

And, yes, we could do without the DEA (I'm not so sure about the ATF, though they could drop the "T.") We could also do without the NHTSA, TSA, NAFTA, CAFTA, the DOEd and a whole list of other acronyms.

But tobacco is a drug and harder to quit than heroin. Nicotine is a drug. You wouldn't know that unless you were addicted to tobacco and trying to quit. Trust me, I know so many who have been there including myself. There is no brainwashing involved.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What about the smoke from those burning wood in firplaces if the Op wants to worry. It too can cause cancer.
As far as asthma goes one medical study suggests otherwise:
Quote:
Relation of indoor heating with asthma, allergic sensitisation, and bronchial responsiveness: survey of children in South Bavaria | BMJ

• This study shows that in a rural population children of families using wood or coal for heating and cooking had a significant lower prevalence of hay fever, atopy, and bronchial hyperresponsiveness than children living in homes with other heating systems
  • Factors directly related to home wood or coal combustion may explain these findings
  • Alternatively, using coal and wood burning stoves indoors may be related to a more traditional life style with unknown protective factors that have been lost in families using other sources of energy such as gas, oil, or a central heating system
As noted it may not actually be the heating system but the rural environment and the lifestyle. From a survey on the people in my own forum with asthma they have reported no change or an improvemnt after switching to coal for heat. What should be noted is many coal/wood units are installed int the basement and they provide a a lot of ambient heat, this keeps the basement dry...

If you want my own .02 the increase of asthma has been brought on by three factors. Firstly homes are much more efficient; insulation, tyvek, windows, etc. That efficiency makes them more air tight trapping indoor air pollution inside the home. Secondly many modern homes use duct work instead of the traditional hydronic heating systems, these systems can harbor and easily distribute the "bad stuff". Last but not least kids are spending a great deal more time indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies